Emme Hall has an R1T and problems with Electrify America

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
I don't think it's discouraging, they have holes that need covered and there is definitely going to be congestion at chargers. I don't think they're cash limited. They are working through how to maintain their network, and to maintain a QOS. A lot of the issues are on them obviously, but I think a good number of them are on the manufacturers too. For example Volvo/Polestar earlier this year.
https://www.xc40forum.com/threads/electrify-america-issues.2674/
Yeah, understood. I'm hoping Rivian can get this figured out or at least be working with EA right now to minimize these issues since it's pretty much going to be the main source of charging for road tripping until the RAN is developed.
Sponsored

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I would love to see the typical R1T charging-rate curve!

SCSEV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Porsche Taycan 4S, ‘21 Audi E-tron
We had this exact experience the other day with my wife’s Etron. Never went above 39 kWs. I tried 6 out of the 8 stations. Still the same. Called Audi thinking it might be the car, but then realized it was the EA location. This is a location that I have used in the past with my Taycan and her Etron with peaks of 200’s and constants near 150 kWs. Frustrating to say the least.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Rough week for EA...

From a Rivian FB group. Back calculating the charging rate to that point, it was only pulling about 30 kW on average. So similar to what his car was pulling. Do EA chargers in CA just suck? lol. Definitely do not have this problem consistently in the PNW.
Rivian R1T R1S Emme Hall has an R1T and problems with Electrify America 1631411702157

Rivian R1T R1S Emme Hall has an R1T and problems with Electrify America 1631411738901

Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I really really hope Tesla opens up their Superchargers to us in the next year. That's all I have in my area. It would eliminate range anxiety for me for sure.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Similar to connecting a gigabit ethernet port from a pc to a gigabit switch. If you set both ports to Auto, it should negotiate to gigabit speeds automatically, but sometimes they fail and you have to force it or update the firmware.
Lol this happened to me last week. IT kept changing ports and nothing would work. Dropped it from a 10 Gbps down to 1 Gbps and it worked. Took them 3 days to figure it out.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
To give folks, especially new EV drivers, a good idea of how fast charging works, Tom Moloughney did a nice video of an ID.4 charging session from 0%-100%. Just as "max range" for traveling can be misleading, rate of fast charging rates/times can also. You don't get the full charge rate throughout a charging session. The charging software is set to protect the battery and will vary the charge rate during a session. This video demonstrates that very well.
Thanks for sharing. For us newbies out there, I have a (probably stupid) question:

In the bottom right hand corner, it says "charging speed" and it shows a # with "kw" label. That number starts high and then gets lower as the battery gets filled (I get that part). The term "speed" would suggest there is an implicit "Per" unit of time there. So "47 kw" per hour? Per what? Or am I missing something?

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanks for sharing. For us newbies out there, I have a (probably stupid) question:

In the bottom right hand corner, it says "charging speed" and it shows a # with "kw" label. That number starts high and then gets lower as the battery gets filled (I get that part). The term "speed" would suggest there is an implicit "Per" unit of time there. So "47 kw" per hour? Per what? Or am I missing something?
This may not be the scientific definition but kw is the measurement of the charging rate itself/power going into the car, no “per hour” needed. Kwh is the measurement of capacity of the battery pack.

Update: I found this which is more official. https://rmi.org/electric-vehicle-charging-for-dummies/

A kilowatt, denoted kW, is a rate of energy flow. It’s like the gallons per minute that a water hose or pump can deliver.

A kilowatt-hour, denoted kWh, is a quantity of electricity, like a gallon. A bigger battery pack with a higher number of kWh will hold more electricity, just as a bigger bucket will hold more gallons of water.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I really really hope Tesla opens up their Superchargers to us in the next year. That's all I have in my area. It would eliminate range anxiety for me for sure.
There will probably be some teething issues with that too, if/when it’s opened up to other cars. It’s much easier to keep things working when it’s all a walled garden of Tesla cars connecting to Tesla stations.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
This may not be the scientific definition but kw is the measurement of the charging rate itself/power going into the car, no “per hour” needed. Kwh is the measurement of capacity of the battery pack.

Update: I found this which is more official. https://rmi.org/electric-vehicle-charging-for-dummies/

A kilowatt, denoted kW, is a rate of energy flow. It’s like the gallons per minute that a water hose or pump can deliver.

A kilowatt-hour, denoted kWh, is a quantity of electricity, like a gallon. A bigger battery pack with a higher number of kWh will hold more electricity, just as a bigger bucket will hold more gallons of water.
Thanks @McMoo,, that link was helpful ?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
It might help to think of a gallon of gasoline as "containing" 33.4 kWh of energy.

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some

One other thing to add, in case it wasn't already clear: 1 kWh is how much energy is delivered by 1kW in one hour. So a 2 kWh battery would take two hours to charge at 1kW. Or it would take half an hour to charge at 4 kW.