First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 4runner, KS S18
Occupation
Software Design Engineer
Just got the following email. Worst outcome... time for reevaluation...

Hi,
As a Max pack preorder holder, we want to thank you for being on this journey with us as we work toward delivering your vehicle. As we continue to advance our technology and evolve our product line, we want to share updates as early as possible to help you plan.

Updates we plan to make early next year:
R1T with Max pack will only be available in a Dual-Motor AWD configuration.
Max pack with standard Dual-Motor AWD will have a target range around 400 miles, 600 HP and 0-60 mph as quick as 4.5 seconds.¹ We will also offer an enhanced version of Dual-Motor AWD with the same range that increases horsepower to 700 HP and lowers 0-60 mph to as quick as 3.5 seconds.¹ Both versions maintain the R1T’s 11,000 lbs of towing capacity.
For price committed customers who preordered before 3/1/2022, choosing standard Dual-Motor AWD will lower your current price by $4,500 while the enhanced version will lower it by $2,000. Deliveries are planned to start at the end of summer in limited volumes and will ramp through the end of the year. We will prioritize Max pack preorder holders for our earliest Dual-Motor deliveries where it’s possible.
Quad-Motor + Max pack will not be selectable in the configurator beginning in early 2023. We plan to add a Quad-Motor with additional capability at a later date that will pair with the Max pack. We will release pricing for this new variant closer to launch.
This update introduces a more energy dense Max pack design that pairs with our Dual-Motor drive system to deliver long range with outstanding performance at a lower price point. Making this change supports our continued focus on simplifying the production process as we scale.
At this time, no action is required on your part. We simply wanted to notify you early to make you aware. We plan to reach back out in January with details on updating your configuration and when you can expect your delivery timing estimate.

If you prefer to maintain a Quad-Motor configuration — and the possibility to accelerate your delivery date to early 2023 — we recommend changing your R1T configuration to Quad-Motor + Large pack, capable of an EPA-est. 328 miles of range when paired with 21” wheels. If you make this selection now, your new delivery window estimate will be made available in January during our next scheduled timing update.

Look for an email in January with next steps. Of course, if you have questions in the meantime, please contact our team – we are here to help. We want to make sure you have everything you need to help you get into your Rivian as soon as possible. Thanks again for being on this journey with us.

Tony Caravano
Head of Rivian Customer Engagement

*Ranges provided are preliminary manufacturer estimates based on the EPA test cycle and are not official EPA values except where noted. Vehicle range varies with final vehicle selections and other conditions.

¹Acceleration timing estimates depend on tire selection and battery pack. Dual-Motor figures are projections and are subject to change at any time.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Really bummed but I understand why they are forcing people out of their price advantaged orders. They are going to lose a lot of money on them.

But it does give me more hope that the 1200HP (or 1400HP??) Enduro Quad motor R1T is coming eventually!

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Really bummed but I understand why they are forcing people out of their price advantaged orders. They are going to lose a lot of money on them.

But it does give me more hope that the 1200HP (or 1400HP??) Enduro Quad motor R1T is coming eventually!
I think Rivian still stands to lose money on these Max Pack orders. They could have stood firm on their stance of change to dual motor or regular battery pack gets you current pricing. Instead they are doing this:

For price committed customers who preordered before 3/1/2022, choosing standard Dual-Motor AWD will lower your current price by $4,500 while the enhanced version will lower it by $2,000.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I think Rivian still stands to lose money on these Max Pack orders. They could have stood firm on their stance of change to dual motor or regular battery pack gets you current pricing. Instead they are doing this:

For price committed customers who preordered before 3/1/2022, choosing standard Dual-Motor AWD will lower your current price by $4,500 while the enhanced version will lower it by $2,000.
I think this is a good thing. Like you said they could have said you had to go with the new pricing on the dual motor and that's probably $10k or more greater than the pre march price.

Sponsored

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
How much time until the quad motor drive is gone from all? They might be looking to squeeze out Bosch and insource their motors.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm probably going to end up bumping my max pack order over to an R1S, then bump my R1S to max pack+quad R1T once they open that back up.

Kaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Dodge Durango R/T AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Pretty much what I've been saying all along, they'll continue to change things in hope of people either canceling their pre-order or changing the build so they don't take a big loss on it. This is lame and I'm not happy about it at all.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Open questions that I have:

* details about the dual motor capabilities, eg. does it have a diff locker?
* 800V?
* the email is unclear, can we still wait for a quad + max pack? Is that still planned for 2024?
* will redesigned electric tonneau cover be available by this time?

Without this, I can't make a decision.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

It is still vague which.... Grrr....

Am I still able to hold out for max quad at my price, or am I forced out of it now?

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Pretty much what I've been saying all along, they'll continue to change things in hope of people either canceling their pre-order or changing the build so they don't take a big loss on it. This is lame and I'm not happy about it at all.
Why not happy? I'm actually a bit upset that I didn't keep the max pack. I would take a dual motor max pack with $4500 off.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

So for all the non-information this email contained, why the hell couldn't they have said this 2 months ago?! They've literally given us zero additional information save for the "enhanced" 700 hp dual-motor variant and pricing info. They still have no clue when the quad+max will ever be available and effectively telling us it won't be covered by our current pricing. Likewise, we still don't know if the dual-motor enduro setup will have an 800V architecture or whether it'll just be the same as the current quad+large truck, just with the in-house enduro motors. All I know is I'm getting more pissed and don't have enough information to make a decision. The longer they wait to spell it out for us the longer many of us will go when we could've had a Quad+Large truck already in our driveways. Hell, tell us the dual-motor drivetrain will get lockers and I'll probably change immediately...but we're getting nothing from them.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
We have clues that the max pack is 800V. Might be incompatible with the quad motor and only work on the newly design dual motors

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Way to go Rivian on your unbroken streak of sending out incomplete information that only disappoints your customers. What is the, "enhanced version?" This has just about killed any enthusiasm I have for buying a Rivian. Zero chance I'd buy one now without the pre March pricing. Power tonneau, camp kitchen, now Max Pack all canceled. Let's be clear, this is a cancelation. They're not even committed to 400+ range. R1T seems pretty pointless now. I'd switch to an R1S but the lack of any full-size spare option is a dealbreaker. Not sure they'll let me delay a R1T until they figure out the cover. If not, I guess I'll just buy the R1S, flip it, and put the money into a Silverado Ev.
Sponsored