Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Mod 3, 23 Ford Lightning, 23 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Semi Retired
Absolulely!
Why would they want to make sure all the details were in place and not just have a configurator that showed CGI renderings with different colors? After all, how hard is that! They need to get their priorities straight! With all that influx of capital, they couldn't even match Nikola and Atlis in producing images of vehicles that don't exist.
Why waste time in prototypes and preproduction units to validate the build process? The configuration utility should have been a top priority. This is definitely a sign that Rivian is a BIGGER SCAM than even Nikola!
When reserved my model three, which was an hour before they even had the world event, I waited 2 1/2 years for me to get the product. I only got the configurator about three months prior to me physically owning it. In my opinion ordering cars online direct to consumer, Is still getting the kinks worked out. I ordered the jeep gladiator directly through Jeep, and it was a giant fiasco. Being able to order a vehicle and not having to deal with a dealer, Is a luxury in my view. I think I like having a configurator closer to the delivery date so that I don’t have to wait so long after making such exciting choices for the vehicle.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Aaahh that sarcasm went whoosh over my head. My bad @DucRider. But if someone does believe that and cancels their pre-order then we're all one step closer to our Rivians :devil:.
Sorry, forgot to use the sarcasm font :crying:

I've posted many times that putting out a toy to show different colors photoshopped on a preproduction unit would serve little purpose.

Rivian is approaching the startup vehicle manufacturer process differently that we have seen from any other company, and I appreciate that. They are well financed before even starting production, and have a guaranteed cash flow influx from the Amazon delivery vehicles. Taking their time and getting all aspects of the vehicles and production dialed instead of pushing them out the door ASAP will benefit both Rivian and their customers in the long run.
This carries over the the configurator as it will accurately reflect features, pricing, and delivery times when it is released. Rivian seems unwilling to put it out until all of those aspects are completely finalized. Building and testing the pre-production units is part of that process and what they learn from those units will be reflected in the pricing, delivery time, etc.

Frank Rast

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Mini Countryman, 2004 F-150
Occupation
Retired professional engineer
The Language about the Configurator keeps changing. So now it looks like Dec 2020 which could easily slip to Feb 2021. I hope they are not going to announce Production delays again. I think everyone is anxious to see what the real cost with Options will be, exactly when Vehicles will be delivered based on individual configurations and where people stand on the Wait List.
With battery cost rapidly declining I don’t mind a short delay

SEARivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - El Cap Granite, 20"AT Black
When reserved my model three, which was an hour before they even had the world event, I waited 2 1/2 years for me to get the product. I only got the configurator about three months prior to me physically owning it. In my opinion ordering cars online direct to consumer, Is still getting the kinks worked out. I ordered the jeep gladiator directly through Jeep, and it was a giant fiasco. Being able to order a vehicle and not having to deal with a dealer, Is a luxury in my view. I think I like having a configurator closer to the delivery date so that I don’t have to wait so long after making such exciting choices for the vehicle.
Thanks for these comments. I agree the delays are frustrating but this is hard stuff and selling direct to consumer is still in its infancy practically speaking. I also agree I'm okay waiting on the configurator and don't really care how close or far it is from delivery date. It's the delivery date that matters to me.

Having just helped my partner purchase a new vehicle from a dealer in the last month, I'm done with the in-person dealer experience. It has got to be one of the worst dog and pony shows and wastes of time ever. We went in and knew what we wanted and picked out the vehicle within 10 minutes and it still took 5 hours to get everything done. I also still can't believe dealers use those archaic massive carbon copy printers either. There is really no way to sign things digitally? You have to end up talking to 4 different people to complete the transaction. Going to a traditional dealership is like going back in time....

Sponsored

JDMD

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Physician
Agreed. Dealer-based transactions are so painful, and if it's going back in time, it's going back to a bad time.

We're all excited about the configurator. I'm hoping they get it right from the start, and if that takes a few extra months, with the same delivery date, I'm good with that.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
GM is announcing the features, trim packages and pricing on Tuesday for the Hummer. They will be taking deposits then also. Rivian needs to get their act together on the configurator.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I know it’s been said before, but I’m beginning to suspect that Rivian is waiting for all the stuff it’s currently participating in (Long Way Up, Rebelle Rally) as well as things like the Hummer reveal, to be over before it releases more info/the configurator.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I know it’s been said before, but I’m beginning to suspect that Rivian is waiting for all the stuff it’s currently participating in (Long Way Up, Rebelle Rally) as well as things like the Hummer reveal, to be over before it releases more info/the configurator.
Building and extensive testing of preproduction vehicles allows them to incorporate what they learn into the production vehicles. This could affect both cost and production timelines.

I guess people just want to see pictures with colors and some possible options (like Lucid)? Then have Rivian add actual costs, options, specs, and delivery timelines later?

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeremyMKE

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Interesting take

and I totally agree with this

Building and extensive testing of preproduction vehicles allows them to incorporate what they learn into the production vehicles. This could affect both cost and production timelines.

However I would guess they have enough pre-orders that launching a configurator as a marketing tool wouldn't need to be delayed. Basically if you are a prospective Rivian buyer who hasn't preordered already, your vehicle is a year out and many things will evolve between now and then.

I think they need to retain their current reservation holders with the onslaught of new vehicle that have been announced.

My theory is the main delay is they don't quite have their production schedule locked down and the configurator promises to give delivery dates. They don't want to fuck that up, if you give me a delivery date and it pushes more than two weeks or so, I am gonna be mad.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
For me, I will likely go ahead a put down a deposit on the Hummer on Tuesday and see what happens. Hummer deliveries start a year from now. My Rivian order number is ~10K and so far I estimate that puts me at Sep-Oct for delivery, also one year out. Hummer deliveries will start at the same time. GM obviously knows how to price their vehicles and options, the warranty will be the same as current vehicles (my Bolt has 100K on battery and electric drive system), and service will be done at dealerships. This should put pressure on Rivian to answer all of these items soon, including a real price.

I do see two benefits to the Rivian, the gear tunnel and the four motors, but other than that these two trucks will be comparable.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
For me, I will likely go ahead a put down a deposit on the Hummer on Tuesday and see what happens. Hummer deliveries start a year from now. My Rivian order number is ~10K and so far I estimate that puts me at Sep-Oct for delivery, also one year out. Hummer deliveries will start at the same time. GM obviously knows how to price their vehicles and options, the warranty will be the same as current vehicles (my Bolt has 100K on battery and electric drive system), and service will be done at dealerships. This should put pressure on Rivian to answer all of these items soon, including a real price.

I do see two benefits to the Rivian, the gear tunnel and the four motors, but other than that these two trucks will be comparable.
Any idea on the reservation price?

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
We'll see how the price compares - Hummer price speculations are "starting at $70K", and that could be the single motor version. Plus GM vehicles no longer qualify for the $7,500 Fed Tax Credit.

They have said it will have 800V architecture and 350 kW charging, so charging speed will be comparable to the Rivian and Lucid.

My guess is lower range and power coupled with a higher net price. We'll know more in a few days.
Sponsored