timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Is anyone in their right mind really cross shopping a Rivian and Mach e? The model Y, sure, because its better than a Mach e and essentially the same car but a year earlier to the party. But the r1t and r1s will be the first off road capable production Ev's on the market, and it looks like the electric f150, cybertruck, hummer ev, etc won't arrive until 6-12 months after.
All I'm looking for is a non-Tesla replacement for my Model X. I would stay with Tesla if they hadn't taken such a minimalistic approach with the Model Y and were investing more in customer service and quality control. I don't need to go off roading or seat 7 people. The R1S is a bit overkill, which is why I'm considering the Mach-E. However, the R1S is the only SUV/crossover model in the near-term that is promising over 300 mile range and performance on par with Tesla. Aside from the Mach-E, the models being put out by legacy automakers don't even come close.
Sponsored

TRivian

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JK
Occupation
Marketing Director
I’m dying to play around with that configurator but I guess Rivian merch will have to do in the meantime. Hopefully that doesn’t take too long either ‍♂

Skigh

First Name
Skigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Well with Ford's announcement of the F-150 to arrive Mid 2022 it could cause some to wait that extra 6 months or so to see what that looks like. I'm going for the R1S so not too bothered but it looks like the EV truck sector is heating up.....

TJM

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford E-350 7.6L Power Stroke
Occupation
Retired
I reached out to Rivian and got an Email back on Sept 23rd 2020 regarding buying Rivian Gear, when we might see a Configurator and financing.

Short version is the configurator was promised by the end of 2020 along with delivery date windows and financing options from Rivian financing partners.

Regarding a gear store she stated "just around the corner"

Full notes below but it looks like Christmas could be fun.

Side Note: I am very impressed with the tone and the way they are messaging.

Hi Jeremy!

Thanks for your support and for being part of the Rivian community! The Long Way Up is an exciting show and, like you, gets me even more excited as we get closer to delivery and having people behind the wheel. While we are still working through final details, I would like to offer some insight on your questions.

1. Financing Options- Rivian will have flexible financing options available for customers. You will be able to finance a Rivian at the point of purchase through Rivian’s banking relationships.

2. Configurator- the configurator will be launched by the end of this year and will allow you to select your favorite color, trim, battery pack and more for your R1T! It will also give you more detail on pricing for the package you choose as well as your delivery window. It will also allow you to choose financing options at that time.

3. Rivian Store- we would love for you to be walking around in Rivian swag! Our Rivian store is also something currently being finalized and will be launching just around the corner. I am looking forward to a hat myself!

As always, if you have further questions we can help with please let us know!

Your fellow adventuror,
Kristina
Upbeat and positive news indeed! Ho, Ho, Ho! Hope it's applicable to R1S orders as well.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I still fail to see how the Rivian r1t or r1s in any way competes with the Mache e. its quite a bit more expensive, roomier, and isn't a small econobox hatchback but an actual midsize suv.
I think this is more a symptom of the fact that there just aren't that many options to choose from if you want an EV SUV. That's the whole reason why there are people comparing a Mach E to an R1S - there really isn't a whole lot in between. If both these vehicles were ICEs then yes, there wouldn't be too much sense comparing the two, but they aren't. Imagine if the only cell phones available on the market were the Iphone 11 Pro Max ($1,100+) and the Galaxy S10e ($549). Buyers would inevitably compare the two even if it is clear that one might suit their needs more than the other, because buyers like choice. The stark difference in the two options is just more apparent because there are not that many choices in between where you can make more gradual trade-offs to get what you want.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Let’s hope Rivian can drop a little more as well

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Just curious, do you think in the configuration we could possibly switch between R1T and R1S? I know we may lose our spot for the one we preordered but the R1S is becoming more practical for me of late.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
we could possibly switch between R1T and R1S?
My understanding is that you can switch between the two vehicles with no repercussions. Of course if you switch from the R1T to the R1S then you will get your vehicle later, since they will be available later.

Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Just to clarify what was said above, #25, and elsewhere.

Your preorder is a queue reservation number. At this point in time, it's neither for a R1T nor a R1S even if we specified one or the other when we reserved. However, once the configurator goes live, and you place an order, you obviously order one or the other. What happens if you change your mind before your order is executed, no one knows at this point in time. (Presumably you fall back in the queue, but as I said, nobody knows for sure.)

We know two things that will make a difference. Vehicles with larger battery packs and more options will be produced first (Rivian will produce higher margin vehicles first), and the R1T will be produced about two months before the R1S. Customer R1Ts are supposed to come off the line in June 2021 and R1Ss in August 2021.

ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover LWB - Autobiography, Toyota- Sienna, Nissan Rogue, Hyundai- Santa Fe, Ferrari-488 Pista, Ferrari 8121 Superfast
Occupation
Self Employed
Unfortunately, things keep changing on the delivery side of things, but getting a configurator in place should not have been delayed because of COVID or if it did by one to max two months. This shows that Rivian is poorly organized, and their whole approach as a company was never intended to launch by the end of the year with the R1T by the end of the year 2020.
I get Tesla did the same thing, but they were the first to market and used these sgtretched out promises and they had that luxury and what other options did buyers have ... Rivian should have stuck to a rigid schedule and figured some downtime in their business plan. There is tiny excuse for a configurator which can be done remotely. As I said above it is a lame excuse. Rivian this really shows you dont have your act together but again who cares! Right Robert?? you are getting another $BILLION or two from Bozo a billionaire. You are no diffferent then the Billions of dollars that surround you and in the end your public customers are not properly looked after as you pander to the money. Its just much better Robert to be real and tell the truth to your up and coming real customers who will ultimately be your friend and biggest supporters even while they will scold you now. Trying to make it look good and using Covid is disingenuous and you would be surprised how your future one by one customers will support you more overall than your billionaire account the Bozo Amo to your head dictator. totally undstand getting that account and supporting it but tell your strongest FUTURE customers the truth even simply as the truth about the Configurator whcih you dropped like a hot potato for an email from Bozo saying here is another few billions but I want my EV vans top priority. you are owned - by Amazon. Money controls you and all we are asking you is to be transparent ... I would loved to have had a R1T truck at end of the year as first promised by end of 2020 but that was delayed by Bozo's money and demands.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Unfortunately, things keep changing on the delivery side of things, but getting a configurator in place should not have been delayed because of COVID or if it did by one to max two months. This shows that Rivian is poorly organized, and their whole approach as a company was never intended to launch by the end of the year with the R1T by the end of the year 2020.
I get Tesla did the same thing, but they were the first to market and used these sgtretched out promises and they had that luxury and what other options did buyers have ... Rivian should have stuck to a rigid schedule and figured some downtime in their business plan. There is tiny excuse for a configurator which can be done remotely. As I said above it is a lame excuse. Rivian this really shows you dont have your act together but again who cares! Right Robert?? you are getting another $BILLION or two from Bozo a billionaire. You are no diffferent then the Billions of dollars that surround you and in the end your public customers are not properly looked after as you pander to the money. Its just much better Robert to be real and tell the truth to your up and coming real customers who will ultimately be your friend and biggest supporters even while they will scold you now. Trying to make it look good and using Covid is disingenuous and you would be surprised how your future one by one customers will support you more overall than your billionaire account the Bozo Amo to your head dictator. totally undstand getting that account and supporting it but tell your strongest FUTURE customers the truth even simply as the truth about the Configurator whcih you dropped like a hot potato for an email from Bozo saying here is another few billions but I want my EV vans top priority. you are owned - by Amazon. Money controls you and all we are asking you is to be transparent ... I would loved to have had a R1T truck at end of the year as first promised by end of 2020 but that was delayed by Bozo's money and demands.
Absolulely!
Why would they want to make sure all the details were in place and not just have a configurator that showed CGI renderings with different colors? After all, how hard is that! They need to get their priorities straight! With all that influx of capital, they couldn't even match Nikola and Atlis in producing images of vehicles that don't exist.
Why waste time in prototypes and preproduction units to validate the build process? The configuration utility should have been a top priority. This is definitely a sign that Rivian is a BIGGER SCAM than even Nikola!

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Holy incoherent screed, Batman.

Look, I’ve complained about the configurator delays plenty (in good jest, I assure you) but at the end of the day, it’s a matter of getting it done quick, or getting it done right. Even if the configurator doesn’t come out until December, that would still put it 6 months before R1T deliveries and 8 months before R1S deliveries. That’s more than enough time to decide what options you want.

I get it, waiting sucks. Especially this year, when every other event and/or thing to look forwards to has been cancelled or postponed. But accusing RJ of being an Amazon hack?

Litttttttle melodramatic, I would say.
Sponsored