Sponsored

HalliBee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Nunya bizness
It sounds like there's a lot of people on here who should not be early adopters. Rivian has been has been far more effective with their communication than Tesla has ever been..... They are bringing a brand new product to the market, and they're suffering from the same supply issues that all other automakers are but worse, because they're new to the game and competing with established competitors for the products they need. If you're that impatient, perhaps you should be finding something more suitable to your needs.

gordonrands

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Prius Plug-in hybrid, 1997 Dodge Dakota
Occupation
university professor
Clubs

Just received. I wonder if the Max Pack or the Cybertruck will get here first...

As an order holder AND stockholder in both Rivian and Tesla I'm beginning to think that the answer is ....

the EV Silverado.

Thankfully I have a reservation for all three of them.

Originally I hoped to finish paying for one of them by the time I retired. Now I'm wondering if I'll even be able to take delivery of one of them before I retire.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Impatient?? LOL. Some of us have been waiting for over 4 years while Rivian perpetually kicks the can. The max pack was initially supposed to be the first iteration produced.
I decided when the original delays happened that I was more interested in getting my truck first than the max pack, and ultimately that's why I had reserved the max pack, because at the time I was lead to believe it would be available at launch. The fact that Rivian let me change my reservation to something that was actually available doesn't meet the definition of a bait and switch. My pre-order was a deposit for "a future vehicle" and they let me change to get it sooner, since that's what was important to me.

Sponsored

Oneup008

First Name
Cc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired
I hope people realized they gave away $100 to RAM to let you know when you can put a deposit down ahead of the general public nothing more, NOT a deposit. Windfall fo RAM on hiding it in the fine print. More deception smoke and mirrors from the manufacturer to the consumer.

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Large Charge Marge (Max Pack R1T)
Occupation
retired
Clubs

I never said anything about a bait and switch and don't give a crap about the legalese garbage.

My issue is that they are perpetually saying it's delayed, but just into the not TOO distant future. So it's constantly a....well I've waited this long what's another 6 months. If they would have said from the get-go that it's going to be a 'a long friggin' time' before we get that max pack out, most of us would not be in this position.
This is my fear. How many of us have already been forced into one sub-optimal vehicle purchase as we wait? I’m about to experience my second sub-optimal purchase, if this truck doesn’t appear soon.

Edit to correct auto-correct.

Last edited:

Sacagawea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper, Harley
I originally configured a Explorer trim with Max Pack. In June of 2022 from reading the tea leaves it seemed that would be very late in arriving, if ever. I changed to Adventure trim with standard battery pack and in 6 weeks was driving my R1T. The range of the standard pack as greatly exceeded my expectation and can easily handle my Minnesota winter trips. Changing configurations was a good move for me.
Have considered doing the same thing. I originally configured Adventure pkg with max battery. All the other things I had on my original R1T have been stripped away. (tonneau cover, kitchen, tent...) I now have CY/21"/manual cover/max pk. configured Feb. 2021. Feel the only reason I don't have my vehicle is the max battery. But my drives a few times a year are from Virginia to New Mexico. (back and forth multiple times) I really would like the extra miles a max battery would give me. Think it's coming down to R1T in weeks without larger battery, wait until they recalculate in April to tell me there will be no Max batteries, ever.

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
This is my fear. How many of us have already been forced into one sub-optimal vehicle purchase as we wait? I’m about to experience my second sun-optimal purchase, if this truck doesn’t appear soon.
Interesting. How were you “forced”? Did a squad of goons show up at your doorstep? I don’t see how Rivian offering you a vehicle without all the options you wanted qualifies as you being forced to purchase a sub-optimal vehicle. You could have easily said “no, thanks, i’ll wait” or “forget it, i want my money back”.

I pre-ordered my max pack in December 2018 and I’m still patiently waiting. I did accept & purchase a “sub-optimal” R1T with a large pack last summer and am very glad I did. When the max pack R1T finally shows up I’ll accept & purchase that and sell my large pack — no need for any hysterics. I agree with @HalliBee, a lot of people here should not be early adopters.

Sponsored

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Large Charge Marge (Max Pack R1T)
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Interesting. How were you “forced”? Did a squad of goons show up at your doorstep? I don’t see how Rivian offering you a vehicle without all the options you wanted qualifies as you being forced to purchase a sub-optimal vehicle. You could have easily said “no, thanks, i’ll wait” or “forget it, i want my money back”.
My first forced purchase happened right at Thanksgiving 2021, when an uninsured 19-year-old forced our SUV off the interstate at high speed. The SUV was totaled. We needed a tow vehicle, and our other little EV car can't tow a trailer. Does that meet your definition of "forced?" It met mine.

My potential second forced purchase will be when my mother, who lives right at the poverty line, can no longer get her 2008 minivan to function. She's recently put a new transmission in it (against my wishes), as well as two other repairs, for about $7,000. Way more than it's worth.

The original idea was to give her our (now totaled) SUV which was in mint condition whenever we took delivery the Max Pack ("s00n").

My mother will get to drive a brand-new SUV (well, it's over a year old now) IF WE EVER GET THAT BLEEPIN' MAX PACK.

Once we get the Max Pack, we will be a two-EV family, and the Max Pack will be our long-distance, cold-weather, trailer-towing vehicle.

And my poor Mother will finally be driving a safe, all-wheel drive, loaded-with-airbags vehicle that she didn't have to pay for and doesn't have to insure.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
Impatient?? LOL. Some of us have been waiting for over 4 years while Rivian perpetually kicks the can. The max pack was initially supposed to be the first iteration produced.
I'll also point out that early on, in the pre-configurator days, the language on the Rivian web site indicated that a Max battery pack would be available for both the R1T and the R1S. Availability for the R1S never materialized and that language was quietly removed from the web site.

steilkurve

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2022 Model S, 2018 Model 3 Performance
I am a Max Pack reservation holder and did not receive the email in post 1. Odd. Maybe it’s because I’ll get the other good news email, the one about how there isn’t a service centre in sight so back to the end of the line. Seriously tempted to just cancel.
Sponsored

Last edited: