Sponsored

The J-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2020 BMW X5 M50
Hi all, the below link shows what the process should be in each state. Tesla has this figured out. I am going through the purchase process now and I had to call them out on it. In Colorado, you do NOT pay the dealer for the registration fees (which are substantial in CO - about $1400), but they were attempting to collect it from me. To their credit, they removed the fees ASAP and said that I will be "self-registering." They are still required to send paperwork to the state, so I'll cross my fingers.

Registering Your Tesla | Tesla
Sponsored

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Everyone I know that recently purchased a Tesla received all of the documents they needed to self register in TX when they took delivery of the vehicle. My Rivian guide was incapable of doing this despite me sending him a list of everything needed, emailing him repeatedly asking for the additional documents they failed to send with the others, and both texting and calling him multiple times. He went full ghost mode and left me in the wind.

A random guy at the Houston service center bailed me out and I was able to successfully purchase my plates and registration yesterday. I’m glad this is behind me and hope you all have a better time with it than I did.

OP
OP
r1vlife

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch Edition
All, after receiving my docs from Rivian today, I paid the fees and was able to get plates at a WA licensing place.

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
What was your total payment? Did you escape the RTA tax? Did you get info on how/when Rivian would refund your money?

OP
OP
r1vlife

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What was your total payment? Did you escape the RTA tax? Did you get info on how/when Rivian would refund your money?
$8404.70
Rivian R1T R1S [Email] An Update On Your R1 Registration 20220709_231913

Yes, escaped RTA.
No info on refund :(

Last edited:

Sponsored

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Rivian mailed me a check around the same time they sent my documents but it was a separate shipment. Thus far, the refund was the one thing they have addressed in a timely manner.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Sadly, the vendor they chose can't do the job reliable.

OP
OP
r1vlife

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did the mco have the weight on it or did you have to get a scale slip?
The MCO had the weight on it, 7200 lbs as well as GVWR 8532 lbs. The registration system could only take 8k or 10k GVWR so the lady had me choose one of them. I chose 8k.

cmtaylor963

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I opted for the self-registering option since I've been waiting for plates sine May. I received my docs quickly, but I had to constantly nag my guide to get my refund check, which took an additional 3 weeks. While registering, it became apparent that Rivian overcharged my sales tax by about $1,500...
Sponsored