Sponsored

Elon says "...yeah, we're gonna allow other companies to use our Supercharging Networks..."

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Elon commented the above on the TSLA earnings call today. Let's hope Rivian can secure a spot at the front of the line!
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I won't hold my breath.

Reactions: TUD

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Elon commented the above on the TSLA earnings call today. Let's hope Rivian can secure a spot at the front of the line!
That would be so incredibly awesome! Solves pretty much all of my concerns with getting an LE with 300 mile battery!

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
A tweet about the same topic, but from December of 2020

Rivian R1T R1S Elon says "...yeah, we're gonna allow other companies to use our Supercharging Networks..." C6944BFE-2887-4D7C-9967-01007CA5F673

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
A tweet about the same topic, but from December of 2020

C6944BFE-2887-4D7C-9967-01007CA5F673.jpeg
So they claim... You'd think that'd make news, though? Why not list the names of these non-Tesla electric cars that have been given access?

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I think securing a spot at the front of the line is easily done simply by bringing enough money, The tech is already there as has been demonstrated by the fact that CCS cars can charge from Tesla chargers unless Tesla locks them out. This was widely talked about a few months back when several CCS cars did charge from SC in Europe.

Thus it's "just a few lines of code" to set up the billing arrangement and Bob's your uncle (he said confidently).

Now is this good news? I think it's pretty clear that the country needs the Tesla Network and the EA network and the other networks too. Remember that BEV penetration in US markets is only at the percent or 2 level. If all the new BEV coming into the system simply go to the clear leader in charging (Tesla) the other nets will wither and die. So as a soon (I hope) to be Rivian owner I am delighted. My travels in the R1T would be as easy as they are in my Tesla. I'm not convinced that this is unmitigated good news.

And of course this pronouncement by Elon is a long way from RJ, or anyone else, accepting the terms. Elon has been saying this for a long time.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

And since RJ can hardly speak the words "Tesla or Elon" during interviews, and the number of top ex-Tesla people who've joined Rivian in the past couple years getting to the front of the SC line seems farfetched.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
This was widely talked about a few months back when several CCS cars did charge from SC in Europe.
One difference is that in Europe the Super Chargers have CCS connectors. An adpater is needed in the US and they have to update them to accept the CCS protocol.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
If BEVs are ever going to become mainstream in the US we absolutely must get to a point where charging stations are as ubiquitous as gas stations are now. Multiple proprietary systems will not survive in the long term. I need to be able to charge my R1T at EA , RAN, SC or any other charging station.

Elon, RJ and the other decision makers need to come together to make it happen, or risk dictates from state and federal regulators who may not have the best technical grasp on the issues before they make those decisions...

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

If BEVs are ever going to become mainstream in the US we absolutely must get to a point where charging stations are as ubiquitous as gas stations are now. Multiple proprietary systems will not survive in the long term.
Hey, I loved my Betamax tapes! :p

Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The only way this would happen is if Tesla agrees to treat Rivian customers the same as Tesla customer on their network on a 10 to 15 year agreement, or if they spin off their network as a separate corp. We wouldn't want a situation where we are three years in and Tesla starts up-charging non-Tesla customers for use of their network, or otherwise modifying the terms for non-tesla customers. I think that long term deal is unlikely.

If BEVs are ever going to become mainstream in the US we absolutely must get to a point where charging stations are as ubiquitous as gas stations are now. Multiple proprietary systems will not survive in the long term. I need to be able to charge my R1T at EA , RAN, SC or any other charging station.
This is the real issue. In the long view, I expect that CCS will be the standard and Tesla will have to update their vehicles and provide adapters for CCS stations. They might even have to rework their V3 stations to CCS in the long term. The Biden admin has committed to installing 500k more charging stations. Many of those will be J1772, but i don't think the feds will install Tesla level 3 charging stations. They will put in CCS stations.

Telsa is offering their network in hopes that enough adopters will make their network the standard. But nobody wants to be locked in to someone else's proprietary network, no matter how good that network is today, especially a startup like Rivian that will compete directly with Tesla.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If BEVs are ever going to become mainstream in the US we absolutely must get to a point where charging stations are as ubiquitous as gas stations are now.
I don't think that's true. Almost no one fuels their gas-powered vehicle at their home, so gas stations are the exclusive source of fuel. With EVs, most people will be able to use their home charger most of the time. You'll need some civic charging access -- but at a far reduced number than we have gas stations. Where charging infrastructure is most needed is along major transport corridors.

Elon, RJ and the other decision makers need to come together to make it happen, or risk dictates from state and federal regulators who may not have the best technical grasp on the issues before they make those decisions...
Absent self-regulation, government regulation is likely.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I don't think that's true. Almost no one fuels their gas-powered vehicle at their home, so gas stations are the exclusive source of fuel. With EVs, most people will be able to use their home charger most of the time. You'll need some civic charging access -- but at a far reduced number than we have gas stations. Where charging infrastructure is most needed is along major transport corridors.
I disagree - the early adopters of BEVs (I think we are still there) charge their cars at home because there is no universal public charging environment. If there were, many people would forego the cost and complication of installing a charging station at home. This may become more likely as vehicle/charging tech gets faster and "refueling" takes less time as charging rates increase. Home charging will never be an option for millions of folks that live in apartments/condos or houses without garages so a public infrastructure is a must.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
With EVs, most people will be able to use their home charger most of the time.
Only about 50% of the population lives in single family homes (and a percentage of those don't have off street parking). Very few apartments/condos currently have charging access, and even fewer jurisdictions require new construction to have any allowance for charging.
Workplace charging can help fill this gap, but there will be a huge need for public charging.
Sponsored