Elon Musk says that Lucid and Rivian are tracking toward bankruptcy

Kjames

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Ford Expedition, Toyota 4Runner
what you're describing is the Lightning. And its why I've pre ordered one - I have little confidence that Rivian is listening to us complain about the nav and infotainment…
My recent experience with Ford says the Lightning will be a mess of hot garbage. They can’t even produce a decent phone app and their first all electric truck is going to be user friendly and reliable? Doubt it.

2018 Expedition Limited, purchased new…Factory engine recall for the famed eco boost V6 - tear down to the camshafts at 48k miles. Rear climate blower died, rear defroster cable came unsoldered, sunroof won’t open, auto adjusting mirrors go into spasms every time they fold out, lane keeping assist is nearly useless, inductive charger is hard to reach, leather interior is cheap, infotainment interface belongs in 2010, aluminum body panels cost a fortune to repair, aluminum (!) lug nuts on the wheels that deform, 4 weeks to get a service appointment…Ford stopped listening a long time ago.
Sponsored

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
My recent experience with Ford says the Lightning will be a mess of hot garbage. They can’t even produce a decent phone app and their first all electric truck is going to be user friendly and reliable? Doubt it.

2018 Expedition Limited, purchased new…Factory engine recall for the famed eco boost V6 - tear down to the camshafts at 48k miles. Rear climate blower died, rear defroster cable came unsoldered, sunroof won’t open, auto adjusting mirrors go into spasms every time they fold out, lane keeping assist is nearly useless, inductive charger is hard to reach, leather interior is cheap, infotainment interface belongs in 2010, aluminum body panels cost a fortune to repair, aluminum (!) lug nuts on the wheels that deform, 4 weeks to get a service appointment…Ford stopped listening a long time ago.
I think the Lightning bests Rivian in a lot of categories. A big one is the infotainment area.

flightlevel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
rivian
how stupid is a vehicle that relies on wifi but is guaranteed to lose said wifi connection which is needed to essentially listen to music, operate the nav, etc.
What are you talking about? The truck doesn't "rely on wifi" - do you mean cellular signal? Even that isn't the case, you can stream music from your phone (which probably won't have signal either) over BT. Even the maps seem to be cached offline.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
aluminum (!) lug nuts on the wheels that deform
Stainless cap on steel nut actually. Moisture gets between the cosmetic cap and the nut itself, causes it to swell.
this problem is so prevalent with ford and other companies which use similar designs, thst Matco sells 19.5 and 21.5mm sockets todeal with these swollen nuts.

I replaced one lug nut on my ford with an OEM one(it was at the dealer and they broke one stuck one to remove, not much of a choice), and immediately ordered a set of forged one piece lug nuts from mcgard while I was sitting in the waiting area.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Does Tesla even turn a profit on their vehicles, now?
Yes, for a couple of years now.

Last I heard they were selling offsets to other companies to bridge the gap.
Of course they still sell them. Why wouldn't they? I sell mine (from solar panels). Why wouldn't I? Tesla is making so many electric cars the RECs still bring in a good bit of cash, though.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
There are fewer Tesla superchargers than CCS. The networks just need to get their shit together and be proactive about repairs instead of delayed reactive. Especially given the chip issues right now.
But many dcfc ccs chargers are of the 50 and 62.5kW variety. Tesla is triple digit.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
But many dcfc ccs chargers are of the 50 and 62.5kW variety. Tesla is triple digit.
Excellent point! Coming from Tesla my experience is pretty much jump in the car and go, Planning isn't really necessary (but still a good idea in unfamiliar territory). With the R1T it definitely is. Check PlgShare. In a region of the east coast which includes both Philly and NYC there are 245 CCS stations but only 148 produce more than 50 kW and 74 that produce more than 70 kW. In that same area there are 249 Tesla stations the smallest of which are the relavely rare 70 kW "Urban" SC.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This is not completely accurate. The initial superchargers that are still in use would split 150 kWh between 2 cabinets so would be 75 per cabinet. They also have an urban supercharger that is 70 kWh. It is the version 2 and now the version 3 that are the faster chargers. The Tesla map tells you the super chargers at the stations for instance Westminster Mall in CA has 24 chargers but max out at 72 kWh

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
The initial superchargers that are still in use would split 150 kWh between 2 cabinets so would be 75 per cabinet.
That's not completely accurate either. A cabinet would be able to produce, let's say, 150 kW (don't remember the exact number). The cabinet served two dispensers. Pull up to an empty station and you'd get the full 150 kW. If another car came along within a few minutes you would continue to get the lions share, say 90 kW and the new guy would get 60 until you started to taper which happens pretty early in Teslas. Pretty soon you are down to 60 kWh and the new guy is getting 90. Worked pretty well (despite the grumbling). The true absolute minimum for Tesla seems to be the urban network limited to 70 kW. I don't know if they share (I've only encountered them once).

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
That's not completely accurate either. A cabinet would be able to produce, let's say, 150 kW (don't remember the exact number). The cabinet served two dispensers. Pull up to an empty station and you'd get the full 150 kW. If another car came along within a few minutes you would continue to get the lions share, say 90 kW and the new guy would get 60 until you started to taper which happens pretty early in Teslas. Pretty soon you are down to 60 kWh and the new guy is getting 90. Worked pretty well (despite the grumbling). The true absolute minimum for Tesla seems to be the urban network limited to 70 kW. I don't know if they share (I've only encountered them once).
Not only urban chargers, the 24 units I used as an example above do not use shared cabinets and are limited to 72 kWh. This station is not that old, maybe 3 years so newer hardware but possibly limited by the grid in that area.

My point was not all super chargers are super fast and charge times between 50-60 or 72 is not that great.
Rivian R1T R1S Elon Musk says that Lucid and Rivian are tracking toward bankruptcy A6341645-540D-4D52-99D9-75429C6F8D29

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
Not only urban chargers, the 24 units I used as an example above do not use shared cabinets and are limited to 72 kWh. This station is not that old, maybe 3 years so newer hardware but possibly limited by the grid in that area.

My point was not all super chargers are super fast and charge times between 50-60 or 72 is not that great.
A6341645-540D-4D52-99D9-75429C6F8D29.jpeg
One location and 24 chargers? Unreal when some states do not have 24 locations for dcfc ccs or even 24 dcfc ccs chargrrs.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
One location and 24 chargers? Unreal when some states do not have 24 locations for dcfc ccs or even 24 dcfc ccs chargrrs.
I do give credit to Tesla for building large Supercharger installations. Most of the locations I've seen have a dozen or more stations. I don't think I've seen one with fewer than 8 (although they may exist).

Conversely, most CCS DCFC locations have 4 or fewer stations.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Yeah, Southern California is loaded with them, I have 3 locations (24, 12, 16 stations) all within 3 miles of the house.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Even the maps seem to be cached offline.
In my experience the maps are not cached offline, at least not in any detail. Maybe it has major interstates but that is not going to be that helpful when you are somewhere without cell reception.
Sponsored