Sponsored

Elon Musk says that Lucid and Rivian are tracking toward bankruptcy

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
who?

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
There’s a lot of truth there but man…that messenger 🤪….

…and especially about that war chest- building a new factory while you’re losing money on every unit but trying to make up for it in volume (old MBA joke) and all in an inflationary and supply constrained environment…Musk can just play the percentages without much analysis and may still come out ahead…

Sponsored

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
he's just trying to make it harder for Rivian to find capital when they eventually need to raise more cash in a few years. It's a long game, but if you erode trust enough, they definitely will go bankrupt, not because they don't have a good product, not because they can't scale, not because they can't make a gross profit, but because investors and banks believe the story that they can't succeed because they have heard it so much.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Well, at least Rivian isn't the ones trying to produce the Cybertruck...

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I think the infotainment and lack of physical controls has the potential to kill Rivian unless something changes. There are a lot of people that don't like change, and if you want to succeed long-term, you can't just go after the tech-savvy people as that's really limiting your market. There are a lot of us that just want a no-nonsense vehicle that simply works without all the gadgetry.

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Elon needs to learn when to shut his pie hole and worry about his own issues like buying Twitter at $54.20 per share.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I think the infotainment and lack of physical controls has the potential to kill Rivian unless something changes. There are a lot of people that don't like change, and if you want to succeed long-term, you can't just go after the tech-savvy people as that's really limiting your market. There are a lot of us that just want a no-nonsense vehicle that simply works without all the gadgetry.

People complained about that phone without a keyboard too.

Change is hard, but you'll come around. Or maybe you still use a blackberry?

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Nothing earth shattering Rivian is not aware of. R.J stated early on becoming profitable is a long tern goal. Elon is simply threatened by shrinking gap between Tesla products and the competitors. Tesla stocks had a downward pressure by short sellers for a long time and now is inflated by fans. I still know people that say their first EV has to be Tesla. It kinda makes sense because they have the most experience building EVs but if that person's neighbor is driving an R1S Rivian sold at a loss, they may be more open to other options. Right now Rivian is trying to get as many of them as they can out there both to build reputation and to use the experience to learn.

There is old proverb that roughly translates as if you are a man with real commitment to your cause, you keep taking the next step despite the pain of your bleeding feet. And that is how the true path will reveal itself. RJ is not blind and sees his balance sheet. He just knows with all the competition around, the solution is not to slow down, it is to speed up. When Elon started, he did not have to worry about other EVs in the market. I have no doubt, like any other organization, Rivian could be more efficient. I just hope they don't try to succeed by trying to be more like Tesla.

Last edited:

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

this guy gives the impression of wanting other EVs to succeed, but lets remember its about revenue, profits and winning/losing. at the end of the day Rivian and Lucid are competitors and he strikes me as a person who will do whatever it takes to win. like planting these seeds of doubt in the public and investors.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
At least Rivian's have a key fob!😂

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
People complained about that phone without a keyboard too.

Change is hard, but you'll come around. Or maybe you still use a blackberry?
I think truth is somewhere between where the two of you stand. Gadgetry is not bad by default and it is not good by default but it is bad when it has negative impact on the total experience. The problem is, that is usually the case before tech is matured. A lot of problems a new R1T have that my 20 year old truck does not have is not necessarily because the tech is bad, it is because it is badly implemented. Anyone buying in the first few years of anything, is asking for it. It comes with the territory.