Sponsored

Elon just confirmed Cybertruck specs and pricing are changing (in a negative way)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
There can't be too many people who can just set aside a quarter of a million dollars for a vague promise.
Suppose it's people in the top 0.1 %-ile. That's 3.5 million Americans.
Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Suppose it's people in the top 0.1 %-ile. That's 3.5 million Americans.
3.5 million Americans is more like 1%, not .1%. Assuming 332 million Americans in 2022, .1% would be 332,000 people.

sickhews

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Subaru Outback
Well, I’ve been waiting since 2018 on my R1T and only 2019 on my Cybertruck. At this rate I’m starting to doubt which I get first. Tesla is legal to sell & service in NC, Rivian is not.
At least Rivian is actually building trucks lol. They've built 10,000 so far. How many cybertrucks has Tesla bulit? Maybe a couple of prototypes? I'm extremely confident that Rivian will eventually get past the BS laws we have in NC. It's just a matter of time. I'm stressing over when my truck is going to show up as much as the next person but if I had a preorder for a cybertruck I'd plan on getting it in '24 or maybe '25.

Last edited:

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
At least Rivian is actually building trucks lol. They've built 10,000 so far. How many cybertrucks has Tesla bulit? Maybe a couple of prototypes? I'm extremely confident that Rivian will eventually get past the BS laws we have in NC. It's just a matter of time. I'm stressing over when my truck is going to show up as much as the next person but if I had a preorder for a cybertruck I'd plan on getting in in '24 or maybe '25.
It’s still amazing what Tesla has accomplished. Example with the cyber truck they announced in late November 2019 then built a brand new plant in Austin Texas I think one of the largest in the world in a record 24 months started producing vehicles while it’s taken Rivian years to refurbish an existing plant. I’m anxiously awaiting my Rivian but to discard Tesla‘s accomplishments it’s just ignorance or bias.

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
I guess no one here remembers when Rivian raised the price of the R1T and R1S by $20K overnight, for existing reservation holders, everyone had a freaking panic attack and Rivian relented.

Pepperidge farm remembers.

Sponsored

sickhews

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Subaru Outback
It’s still amazing what Tesla has accomplished. Example with the cyber truck they announced in late November 2019 then built a brand new plant in Austin Texas I think one of the largest in the world in a record 24 months started producing vehicles while it’s taken Rivian years to refurbish an existing plant. I’m anxiously awaiting my Rivian but to discard Tesla‘s accomplishments it’s just ignorance or bias.
Oh, sorry if I came across as dismissive towards what Tesla has accomplished. That wasn’t my intention at all. Let me more clear:

Tesla achieved the impossible. They built a profitable new car manufacturing company in the United States, from the ground up. That alone is an endeavor that hasn’t been successfully pulled off in a long time. More obviously, they started an all-electric car company, something many people said was impossible at the time. They single-handedly brought EVs into the mainstream and likely brought ev adoption 10+ years forward where all legacy auto manufacturers were happy to drag their feet.

Without Tesla, Rivian doesn’t exist.

Having said that, the train of thought I have around the cybertruck is as follows: Tesla’s current offerings are very similar to one another. The Model 3 and Model Y are basically the same vehicle with different shells. Lots of shared parts, similar manufacturing processes (75% parts shared according to wikipedia). The Model S and Model X are less similar, but still share 30% of their parts (originally planned to be 60% shared parts).

Cybertruck is huge departure from Tesla’s tried and true current offerings. It’s wildly different vehicle. So much so that they’re literally having to build a separate factory to build it. Not to mention all of the different manufacturing processes that they have to design, build, and refine for it. It’s basically like starting a new company inside of Tesla to build Cybertruck. They’ve done it a few times already and I‘m certain they’ll do it again. They have a lot of smart and hard working people working in making it a reality.

The idea that they’re going to get you a Cybertruck before Rivian can get you an R1T, who is already well into actually building and delivering vehicles, is a mischaracterization of where things currently stand and strikes me as biased against Rivian.

Last edited:

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
This is why my Tesla cybertruck reservation was cancelled and my F150 lightning reservation is still active.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The real people who are screwed are the ones still waiting for the new roadster and have given Elon a 50K dollar loan to be on the list with no release date in site.
They knew what they were getting into...

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

This is why my Tesla cybertruck reservation was cancelled and my F150 lightning reservation is still active.
But what about the flipping process 🤔????

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

3.5 million Americans is more like 1%, not .1%. Assuming 332 million Americans in 2022, .1% would be 332,000 people.
It's always the damn decimals....

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I guess no one here remembers when Rivian raised the price of the R1T and R1S by $20K overnight, for existing reservation holders, everyone had a freaking panic attack and Rivian relented.

Pepperidge farm remembers.
The North remembers....

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Oh, sorry if I came across as dismissive towards what Tesla has accomplished. That wasn’t my intention at all. Let me more clear:

Tesla achieved the impossible. They built a profitable new car manufacturing company in the United States, from the ground up. That alone is an endeavor that hasn’t been successfully pulled off in a long time. More obviously, they started an all-electric car company, something many people said was impossible at the time. They single-handedly brought EVs into the mainstream and likely brought ev adoption 10+ years forward where all legacy auto manufacturers were happy to drag their feet.

Without Tesla, Rivian doesn’t exist.

Having said that, the train of thought I have around the cybertruck is as follows: Tesla’s current offerings are very similar to one another. The Model 3 and Model Y are basically the same vehicle with different shells. Lots of shared parts, similar manufacturing processes (75% parts shared according to wikipedia). The Model S and Model X are less similar, but still share 30% of their parts (originally planned to be 60% shared parts).

Cybertruck is huge departure from Tesla’s tried and true current offerings. It’s wildly different vehicle. So much so that they’re literally having to build a separate factory to build it. Not to mention all of the different manufacturing processes that they have to design, build, and refine for it. It’s basically like starting a new company inside of Tesla to build cybertruck. They’ve done it a few times already and I‘m certain they’ll do it again. They have a lot of smart and hard working people working in making it a reality.

The idea that they’re going to get you cybertruck before rivian, who is already well into actually building vehicles though, is a mischaracterization of where things currently stand and strikes me as biased against Rivian.
Very well stated! I love what Rivian is doing, I’m just about at wits end that I placed my deposit in Dec. 2018 and I’m still waiting with no delivery window at this time and others having ordered in near recent months or maybe 1 year are getting their’s. I’ve been actively helping Rivian on the legislative side here in NC for the past 2 years, which friends then make fun of me…”where’s this mysterious truck you speak of”…lol.

sickhews

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Subaru Outback
Very well stated! I love what Rivian is doing, I’m just about at wits end that I placed my deposit in Dec. 2018 and I’m still waiting with no delivery window at this time and others having ordered in near recent months or maybe 1 year are getting their’s. I’ve been actively helping Rivian on the legislative side here in NC for the past 2 years, which friends then make fun of me…”where’s this mysterious truck you speak of”…lol.

I'm right there with you! I joined the party much later than you but it's clear that NC is lower on the priority list for Rivian at the present. I know that them delivering more trucks here means more maintenance overhead since they have to work on them out of state, but I can only hope that once more and more deliveries are made out here, demand and thus political pressure will sky rocket. NC is not too different from Colorado in the outdoor recreation space (obviously things are bigger in CO), and I'd imagine there has to be a big group of folks out here who would love the vehicles that Rivian are producing.

As an aside, do you not have shop access yet? A 2018 preorder should by every account have that by now according to what I've heard online. I'd be asking them for it relentlessly lol.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
So overhyping proforma delivery schedules is something else Rivian copied from Tesla?

I kid. I kid.

Sorta.
Sponsored