Sponsored

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
I think it’s only $.31 per kWh with a $4 monthly subscription.
I don’t know about you but my goal is to avoid rip off charging stations regardless of paying a $48 annual subscription. And also, I really paid $30 because they bill in $10 tranches which is just another money suck for them.
Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I don’t know about you but my goal is to avoid rip off charging stations regardless of paying a $48 annual subscription. And also, I really paid $30 because they bill in $10 tranches which is just another money suck for them.
While I'm all for avoiding monthly fees, you can enable/cancel anytime so if you know you are going to charge more that 33 kWh in a month just use it for that month. Maybe EA will get rid of the fee when/if they get sold.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
While I'm all for avoiding monthly fees, you can enable/cancel anytime so if you know you are going to charge more that 33 kWh in a month just use it for that month. Maybe EA will get rid of the fee when/if they get sold.
I expect the charging market players to change dramatically in the next ten years. I also have a bad feeling that charge rates are only going to increase. My hope is places like Walmart and ikea are smart enough to negotiate cheaper prices to drive traffic, so far they haven’t. Changepoint has done the opposite by offering and encouraging owners to charger a higher price and giving revenue share. If you don’t, they charge the landlord/owner the privilege of offering it.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
That's cute, but its just another place I don't want to wait 30 minutes at.

Seriously... Starbucks... a shopping area... a food court... even a truck stop is better.

But perhaps it is indeed better than Walmart?

I don't know, please, EA, stop looking for a national partner. Do city site by site selection.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
The monthly fee frustrates me. I fully understand the $10. Credit card companies are robbing them with transaction fees and too many people doing $2-4 charging sessions on NIssan Leafs, etc, just to get home.

Sponsored

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
That's cute, but its just another place I don't want to wait 30 minutes at….

Seriously... Starbucks... a shopping area... a food court... even a truck stop is better.
Have you reached out to Starbucks or other retailers you support to encourage them?

I’m pretty sure EA and others are still in the ‘take what they can get’ phase.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Have you reached out to Starbucks or other retailers you support to encourage them?

I’m pretty sure EA and others are still in the ‘take what they can get’ phase.
They are, but other charging networks (Tesla, Rivian) certainly put more effort into a city-by-city approach. I am ranting a bit about EA's lazy way out of "pick a large national supplier".

It looks like Volvo found their way to Starbucks first. https://stories.starbucks.com/stori...r-at-starbucks-stores-from-seattle-to-denver/

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
EA is doing this because that is what they stated they were going to do years ago in accordance with the Diesel-gate guidance documents...to focus on metro charging.

I stated before, the public DC fast charging via third party doesn't work. Their is no money in it. There are serious challenges moving forward because of high electrical interconnection cost, demand charges, real estate and maintenance cost.

GM, Ford, etc need to just buyout these third party charging networks, restrict it, brand it and augment the cost into the EV price. Tesla understood this from the very beginning. I hope Rivian continues to expand their roll out of their own proprietary network. IMO this will greatly enhance ownership experience.

Public DC fast charging does not get fixed overnight, next year or five years from now as it is now.

Last edited:

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Trapped in an Ikea indefinitely-my worst nightmare!

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
EA is doing this because that is what they stated they were going to do years ago in accordance with the Diesel-gate guidance documents...to focus on metro charging.

I stated before, the public DC fast charging via third party doesn't work. Their is no money in it. There are serious challenges moving forward because of high electrical interconnection cost, demand charges, real estate and maintenance cost.

GM, Ford, etc need to just buyout these third party charging networks, restrict it, brand it and augment the cost into the EV price. Tesla understood this from the very beginning. I hope Rivian continues to expand their roll out of their own proprietary network. IMO this will greatly enhance ownership experience.

Public DC fast charging does not get fixed overnight, next year or five years from now as it is now.
having propriety charging networks for every auto manufacture would be awful. That's like having separate gas stations for Ford, GM, etc. Not a good idea. We just need someone to make EA a profitable network to get the issues fixed. VW doesn't care how well EA does since they were forced to build it.

Sponsored

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Why would that be so awful? Car makers would be competing with each other not only in terms of the vehicle but the charging network also. A seamless roadtrip charging experience would become much more profitable because now the maker could provide a markup based on that experience and/or have their own subscription charging model.

Ford chargers that are always broken, for example, would get a lot more bad publicity and hurt the brand than EA chargers that are always broken. Why do you think Tesla aims for seamless reliable charging? They don't want EVs to be limited to local usage only.

The awful thing is current state of public fast charging. It's a disaster that isn't going to get fixed. The gas station model doesn't work in this space.

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (ordered), F150, Q5, 911 Turbo(s)
IKEA U.S. and Electrify America announce collaboration for ultra-fast public and fleet charging at over 25 IKEA retail locations

IKEA U.S. will quadruple its total number of electric vehicle chargers, a big step toward the IKEA global circular and climate positive goals
You forgot page two of the press release?

...furthermore, Electrify America will make a token effort to keep at least 50% of newly installed chargers actually operating and useable without trying three times or calling customer support.

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
I wonder at what point they just throw in the towel.
Ford Lightning First DC Fast Charge DIDN'T WORK! - YouTube

They state their in the long haul and that the pro's outweigh the cons, but don't state what that is. They have almost a couple of hundred thousand dollars of EV trucks in their possession but can't reliably road-trip with them. That's a huge con that outweighs all the pro's.

These EV influencers need to stop willing-nilling around, and test every charger port at every station, document it and report on it....and stop being a bunch of apologist fanbois.

I know for them it's just entertainment for their Youtube shows, but for real people who used their real money buying into the EV thing, this re-occurrence would be very very frustrating at the least.
Sponsored

Last edited: