Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
And at this stage in the game, those folks really ought to stick to ICE. Level 2 charging needs to become more ubiquitous, for multi-unit dwellings and at workplaces. Due to demand charges, DCFC will always be more expensive than L2 charging.
The future is charge at home with time of use pricing. We have that in Chicago and I'm typically paying 5-6 cents overnight.

I prefer expensive DCFC charging if that means more units and better reliability. DCFC will likely have a poor ROI for years, and trying to do it inexpensively has resulted in the many problems EA has demonstrated.

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
It should be twice the price. People will have to pay up but it would potentially result in profits and encourage more vendors to jump in the EV charging network space.

countab45

First Name
aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t white, locked tonneau in open position...
san diego. cheapest i can get come this summer will be .80 for peak, .46 for offpeak and .36 for overnight. currently paying .354 overnight for winter as you see in this table. DR-SES plan. i don't use electric cars enough to pay the flat fee plus to get cheaper rates.

Rivian R1T R1S Electrify America charging rate pricing increases starting March 6, 2023 1675443594557

Sponsored

LanikaiBlue

First Name
N
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC-90 T8
Occupation
Healthcare

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I would think the Cali strategy would be to install enough utility scale solar to make electricity cheap when it is sunny.

R1TJ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 ID.4, 2023 R1S
Clubs

What I'm looking forward to is the day that the charging networks are built out enough that there is competition between vendors for pricing and quality/speed of charging. Imagine having an option on either side of an intersection like we do with gas stations today.

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Slightly off topic, but has anyone here used a RAN charger and if so, how much do they cost in comparison?

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Slightly off topic, but has anyone here used a RAN charger and if so, how much do they cost in comparison?
RAN is free charging for Rivians; there is no comparison.

Sponsored

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Sadly...200 miles away from DC. Rates on both, 11kW is indicated.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I realize it would not be a panacea, but I'd like EA rates for the slow (<= 150kW) dispensers/chargers to be lower than the fast dispensers. This might keep slow charging vehicles (like Bolts) from using/blocking the 350kW dispensers.

In addition to my R1T, I own a Chevy Bolt so don't think that I'm picking on Bolt owners. But unfortunately many of them (as well as other slow charging EV owners) think the 350kW dispensers will charge their cars faster.

Pricing may be the best way to incentivize folks to use the slower chargers.

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

It should be twice the price. People will have to pay up but it would potentially result in profits and encourage more vendors to jump in the EV charging network space.
And the supposed increased competition will drive the prices down, right? ;)

The problem is not really the lack of chargers, and definitely not the lack of profits for charger operators.. It’s the lack of underlying infrastructure, like generation, storage, transmission, distribution, etc. This is absolutely a government/taxpayer problem because it affects so much more than just charging EVs. Both the number of people and average energy consumption per person are guaranteed to keep increasing in the coming decades.

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
RAN is free charging for Rivians; there is no comparison.
Well that I did not know! That's nice, but I suspect like Tesla they'll have to start charging us to justify the expansion (which I'm very cool with). Rather give my $ to Rivian than EA.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
For 100 kWh under both pricing schemes you save $12. So for anyone who does use EA regularly, you only need to charge once a month for the membership to pay for itself. Really, you only need to charge 25 kWh per month for it to pay for itself.
One trip covers a lot of savings, I paid the $4 for January, saved me $149 so far on this trip, by the time I get home at $4 a month the savings on this trip alone will probably be around 75 months of membership.
Sponsored