Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
it will all depend on the demand. If there is money to be made they will build the chargers. It will hit the tipping point in 3-4 years IMHO
The whole EA network is a result of Dieselgate and all the planned buildout (including cycle 4) is required under the settlement terms.
For continued expansion it is very likely that they will need funding/participation from automakers. The ROI on a DCFC installation @ $.40/kWh is never.
Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
The whole EA network is a result of Dieselgate and all the planned buildout (including cycle 4) is required under the settlement terms.
For continued expansion it is very likely that they will need funding/participation from automakers. The ROI on a DCFC installation @ $.40/kWh is never.
They will get funding eventually. Someday big oil/gas will lose out and politicians will have their hands out for contributions from the other side. Basically the people will make it happen. If automakers put out great vehicles that people enjoy driving, than the demand will drive the infrastructure. I'm sure it will take both private and public funds to make it happen

P.S.Mangelsdorf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1940 Chevy EV conversion, 2017 Challenger (daily)
Occupation
Consultant
Interesting, no CCS equivalent to TCP?
Communication and coding are not my forte, but as I understand it, there is a "open source" protocol for CCS, but it is effectively open in name only, and is far more complex than CHADEMO. Again, as I understand it, CHADEMO effectively uses the same CANBus protocol as the rest of the car, but CCS uses its own language. On top of that, each manufacturer implements the CCS protocol slightly differently.

Manufacturers/the industry at large are once again using their favorite fig leaf "safety" to be very cagey about allowing access. (I'll avoid my rant about Tesla/GM using the co-development of EVs and AVs as a convenient excuse to block right-to-repair by scaring the public with some slight of hand, but just note that its a larger problem than just CCS)

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Communication and coding are not my forte, but as I understand it, there is a "open source" protocol for CCS, but it is effectively open in name only, and is far more complex than CHADEMO. Again, as I understand it, CHADEMO effectively uses the same CANBus protocol as the rest of the car, but CCS uses its own language. On top of that, each manufacturer implements the CCS protocol slightly differently.

Manufacturers/the industry at large are once again using their favorite fig leaf "safety" to be very cagey about allowing access. (I'll avoid my rant about Tesla/GM using the co-development of EVs and AVs as a convenient excuse to block right-to-repair by scaring the public with some slight of hand, but just note that its a larger problem than just CCS)
I wouldn't be surprised. However, if that's true, the standard needs to be more clearly defined.

I had an issue years back with interoperability between two network infrastructure vendors where the larger one actually said "the other guys adhere too closely to the standard". You either adhere to a well-written standard, or you don't...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
There are a couple of IEC standards which apply. These are available to anyone (willing to pay the fee). I don't think the -2 version is fully agreed upon yet and this may be holding things up a bit. It covers things like plug-and-charge and V2G. The hangups seem to be with respect to the security and reliability of the proposed communications protocols (are they immune to man in the middle attacks, what happens if the terminal connects to the net via cellular and the nearest tower goes down etc, etc, etc). Presumably eventually the members will iron all this out, the -2 standard will be promulgated and at that point an OEM either decides to adhere or go it on his own.

The fact that there is a CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter and CCS to Tesla adapters attests to the fact that the standards even as they are suffice to allow the interconnection. The fact that the CCS to Tesla adapter not made by Tesla does not work at all CCS terminals attests to the fact that there is enough wiggle room in the current standard that failure is possible.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
EA has released their "Cycle 3 National ZEV Investment Plan". I thought this slide from the summary materials is helpful for a quick glance at where they're expanding. Big note though: this is expansion outside of California only, since California has a separate investment plan required by CARB.

You can find the full materials here: https://www.electrifyamerica.com/our-plan/

Rivian R1T R1S Electrify America Announces Plan to More than Double Its EV Charging Network by End of 2025 Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 11.32.34 AM

As a reminder, this cycle will theoretically run from Jan 2022 to July 2024. I also do not think this is necessarily everything that will be added during this time. They are committed to at least this.

Edit: The highway routes are shown by the green lines on that map, but here's the list from slide 10, which has a similar map but without the metro areas highlighted.

Rivian R1T R1S Electrify America Announces Plan to More than Double Its EV Charging Network by End of 2025 Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 11.54.22 AM

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EA has released their "Cycle 3 National ZEV Investment Plan". I thought this slide from the summary materials is helpful for a quick glance at where they're expanding. Big note though: this is expansion outside of California only, since California has a separate investment plan required by CARB.

You can find the full materials here: https://www.electrifyamerica.com/our-plan/

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 11.32.34 AM.png

As a reminder, this cycle will theoretically run from Jan 2022 to July 2024. I also do not think this is necessarily everything that will be added during this time. They are committed to at least this.
The cool part of that is the new travel corridors ("charging deserts") that they will be addressing.

That includes Houston to College Station. Gig 'Em!

OP
OP

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
The cool part of that is the new travel corridors ("charging deserts") that they will be addressing.

That includes Houston to College Station. Gig 'Em!

Maine....up to Bangor......

which, when you combine with other DCFCs, RAN and waypoints, and the future availability of a Tesla>CCS adapter should make most of the state and entry into Canada accessible.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here's the corridor graphic.

Rivian R1T R1S Electrify America Announces Plan to More than Double Its EV Charging Network by End of 2025 Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 10.58.12 AM

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
Below is excerpt from email communication with EA this afternoon:

In 2019, Electrify America emerged as the nation’s largest open network of DC fast chargers, with more than 600 ultra-fast stations in operation today. Through investments detailed in our Cycle 3 ZEV Investment Plans (see Our Plan) and Electrify America’s Boost Plan, we intend to more than double the size of our network by 2025, to more than 1,800 fast charging stations and 10,000 individual chargers installed across North America.

Electrify America is a data-driven company, and we use the information provided in submissions like yours in our planning process wherever possible.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Below is excerpt from email communication with EA this afternoon:

In 2019, Electrify America emerged as the nation’s largest open network of DC fast chargers, with more than 600 ultra-fast stations in operation today. Through investments detailed in our Cycle 3 ZEV Investment Plans (see Our Plan) and Electrify America’s Boost Plan, we intend to more than double the size of our network by 2025, to more than 1,800 fast charging stations and 10,000 individual chargers installed across North America.

Electrify America is a data-driven company, and we use the information provided in submissions like yours in our planning process wherever possible.
So they responded with the same thing as almost 2 years ago? Would be nice to see the estimated timeline for each location in cycle 3.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
So… if they’ll have 10,000 individual charging stations only half will be working, and out of that 5,000 that are operational 70% of those can only output a max 70Kw, that means there will actually be 1,500 high speed stations that are fully operational nationwide. And by then there will be over 5,000 ID.4s on the road looking to charge to 100% on those 1,500 chargers, so we’ll be no better off than we are now.

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
So… if they’ll have 10,000 individual charging stations only half will be working, and out of that 5,000 that are operational 70% of those can only output a max 70Kw, that means there will actually be 1,500 high speed stations that are fully operational nationwide. And by then there will be over 5,000 ID.4s on the road looking to charge to 100% on those 1,500 chargers, so we’ll be no better off than we are now.
Haha right? I was thinking, it would be nice if they first focus on reliable charging stations that they already put in place. Like you said, all those numbers mean nothing if a large majority of them don't work.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Simple solution... don't use them. Good luck getting anywhere, hope Tesla ramps up those magic docks for you ASAP.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
About 50% of EA chargers are malfunctioning.
2 x 0.5 = 1
They've announced they're going to fix the malfunctioning chargers.
: )
Sponsored