First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
" Reston, VA (July 13, 2021) – Electrify America today announced its “Boost Plan” to more than double its current electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure in the United States and Canada, with plans to have more than 1,800 fast charging stations and 10,000 individual chargers installed by the end of 2025. The expansion will increase the deployment of 150 and 350 kilowatt chargers – the fastest speed available today – and help pave the way for more electric vehicles in North America."

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/149

Good news. More charging options will always be a good thing.
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Excellent news! With this announced--it was already expected, but good to see it become official--and all of the efforts from EVGo, Chargepoint, and the RAN, things will look very different for charging by the end of 2025.

Everybody still needs to do a little better job addressing functionality including more consistent interoperability by eliminating the quirks with some car model-station manufacturer pairs and reducing downtime as much as possible. But the more stations that are out there, the less this is a major problem.

Minor request: If anybody stumbles on a high resolution map or, even better, a list of the planned expansion areas, please forward me the info and I will try to get it into a layer of my RAN map on Google Maps.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Really wish they would fill in some more of the rural gaps. We're going to have the same rural EV issue as we have with quality high speed broadband.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Really wish they would fill in some more of the rural gaps. We're going to have the same rural EV issue as we have with quality high speed broadband.
Yeah, it's really hard to tell from the map they released today exactly how many of the new stations are going to be off of major interstates, but the 125 stations they show as Coming Soon on their "Locate a charger" map are nearly all in largish metro areas. There are some outside of metro areas, but not a ton. The longer-range map has a lot more outside those areas, but it's really tough to get a good read on rural coverage even in the Eastern and Pacific states. The vast plains still look pretty barren other than the big interstates.

It makes sense in a lot of way, just like with broadband. Building the infrastructure is really expensive, so the focus will always be on the areas that are going to get the most use and have the best return on investment. But it still has to be addressed somehow.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Everybody still needs to do a little better job addressing functionality including more consistent interoperability by eliminating the quirks with some car model-station manufacturer pairs and reducing downtime as much as possible.
Completely agree. As a Tesla owner, I do my best to avoid non-Tesla charging stations as they can be a pain to use. We need to (and hopefully will) get to the same ease of use we see with a Tesla Super Charger or even a good ole gas station (pull in, pop in a card, hit go).

What I do find interesting is how different all of these stations operate depending on the vehicle involved (EA is a good example of this between a MachE and an ID.4).

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Completely agree. As a Tesla owner, I do my best to avoid non-Tesla charging stations as they can be a pain to use. We need to (and hopefully will) get to the same ease of use we see with a Tesla Super Charger or even a good ole gas station (pull in, pop in a card, hit go).

What I do find interesting is how different all of these stations operate depending on the vehicle involved (EA is a good example of this between a MachE and an ID.4).
Just did a 460 mile weekend in an Ioniq with 170 miles of range. EA worked flawlessly with one exception - they didn't charge me for one session. Used the app to start the charge. Went from 17% to 83%. Charge session summary shows 0.0 kWh and therefore $0.00 cost. Screen on the charger showed the kWh and cost, but never updated in the app and the emailed summary showed:
Rivian R1T R1S Electrify America Announces Plan to More than Double Its EV Charging Network by End of 2025 1626198240607

Both the EA app and ABRP showed how many chargers were available/functioning at the various locations I used. Charge initiated immediately every time from the app. Plug and Charge would have saved maybe 15 seconds per session. Open the app, tap the location, tap the charger you are using, swipe to start charge. YMMV

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
I have a particular interest in the section of I-20 that connects Birmingham to the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Looking at the map it appears that there will be 5 chargers in the following locations between Birmingham and Dallas
  • Meridian, MS
  • Jackson, MS
  • Monroe, LA
  • Shreveport, LA
  • Mineola, TX

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, it's really hard to tell from the map they released today exactly how many of the new stations are going to be off of major interstates, but the 125 stations they show as Coming Soon on their "Locate a charger" map are nearly all in largish metro areas. There are some outside of metro areas, but not a ton. The longer-range map has a lot more outside those areas, but it's really tough to get a good read on rural coverage even in the Eastern and Pacific states. The vast plains still look pretty barren other than the big interstates.

It makes sense in a lot of way, just like with broadband. Building the infrastructure is really expensive, so the focus will always be on the areas that are going to get the most use and have the best return on investment. But it still has to be addressed somehow.
Agreed. This is really where there needs to be some government intervention (imo) to fund areas that don't make sense financially. Just going off my experience for example, the "future" map they showed wouldn't allow someone to drive from Southern Idaho to Northern Idaho without taking the interstate route into Oregon and Washington. Which is technically faster, but it basically shuts off access to the population living in the middle of the State due to distance and topography. As you noted, the great planes have the same issue. Admittedly, there are stretches through South Dakota that had me planning *gas* stops when pulling a uhaul to move back to the PNW from SoDak, so it's a problem with dying towns in any case.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
EA worked flawlessly with one exception - they didn't charge me for one session
Was it close to the 4th of July? It was free back then and behaved exactly like you described.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Just did a 460 mile weekend in an Ioniq with 170 miles of range. EA worked flawlessly with one exception - they didn't charge me for one session. Used the app to start the charge. Went from 17% to 83%. Charge session summary shows 0.0 kWh and therefore $0.00 cost. Screen on the charger showed the kWh and cost, but never updated in the app and the emailed summary showed:
1626198240607.png

Both the EA app and ABRP showed how many chargers were available/functioning at the various locations I used. Charge initiated immediately every time from the app. Plug and Charge would have saved maybe 15 seconds per session. Open the app, tap the location, tap the charger you are using, swipe to start charge. YMMV
The entire 4th of July weekend was free for everyone.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The entire 4th of July weekend was free for everyone.
This was July 10th. Session in the morning was charged, session in the afterrnoon (at a different location) was not.
Also shows the $.43/kWh cost, but 0.00 kWh dispensed.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
This was July 10th. Session in the morning was charged, session in the afterrnoon (at a different location) was not.
Also shows the $.43/kWh cost, but 0.00 kWh dispensed.
I've hit a similar bug once. I actually received an error that it didn't initiate, but then charger said it did. I got free electrons that would have already been free for me (ID.4 plan), but it was an interesting quirk.

OP
OP

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
I still think it would be very wise for Rivian to strike a deal here. Work with EA to make sure the cars handshake and POS works flawlessly. It will be a nice alternative until the RAN is built out

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
EA Leavenworth went live yesterday morning!

Huge win for East- West WA State travel to and through the Cascades on Hwy 2.

Screenshot_20210712-154954.png
I have been watching that as well.
Sponsored