Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

I’m getting closer and closer to being an EV owner, so it’s time to get an electrician to my house to get ready for a charger install. Any recommendations in the pdx area would be appreciated.
Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Have you considered Qmerit? If you go with them be sure to ask whatever installer they recommended specifically if they have done Rivian chargers. Mine came unprepared because, according to them, most chargers require only a 50AMP and not all panels work with the 60AMP that can be used for Rivian.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Have you considered Qmerit? If you go with them be sure to ask whatever installer they recommended specifically if they have done Rivian chargers. Mine came unprepared because, according to them, most chargers require only a 50AMP and not all panels work with the 60AMP that can be used for Rivian.
The Qmerit website asks which vehicle & charger so it is disappointing to hear the electrician assigned was not prepared for it.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
The Qmerit website asks which vehicle & charger so it is disappointing to hear the electrician assigned was not prepared for it.
Agreed. I think the installer just thought "EV? Then I'll bring a 50AMP breaker". In the end it worked out because Qmerit wouldn't take my money until I was satisfied and that meant a second trip from the installer to get the 60AMP in place. The lead-time on a 60AMP breaker was much longer, I guess they don't typically stock these... another question for your would-be installer.

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Still trying to decide what is the best way to go. I can get a discount from pacific power on a charge point and I think flo charger. Just not sure if I want to have a dedicated nema 14-50 and stay more portable, or a hardwired setup. Feel free to fire away with the pros and cons of either.

Sponsored

Hoo D. Hoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Prius, 2022 Pacifica PHEV, 2023 Bolt EUV
Occupation
Curmudgeon
I went with a Clipper Creek charger from Enphase and am very happy.

But even if you don't go with their charger, you should still look at their "find an installer" link. It's not limited to installers affiliated with Enphase -- it's a list of electricians in your area who have experience with EV chargers. I was happy with the installer I found even if I hadn't gone with their charger.

For the "find an installer" link, scroll down and it's on the right-hand side of the page.

https://enphase.com/ev-chargers

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Still trying to decide what is the best way to go. I can get a discount from pacific power on a charge point and I think flo charger. Just not sure if I want to have a dedicated nema 14-50 and stay more portable, or a hardwired setup. Feel free to fire away with the pros and cons of either.
Hardwired setup is the way to go! Many benefits including safer and faster charging.

MikeFVF51

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 Pro RWD, VW Routan
Occupation
Retired Sales Manager
We had a 50amp circuit dedicated to the Charge Point Flex charger and got the rebate from PGE. Bear Electric did the install. The Flex charger has a 26ft charge cable so it reaches anywhere in the garage, even outside when necessary. Being hardwired was not an issue for me other than the electrician originally installed an outlet and I had to have them return to hardwire it to PGE's requirement. One nice thing about having PGE's off-peak program is very low cost to charge overnight, plus they have a ResEV program to save even more. Check it out.

I haven't felt the need to carry an L2 charger while traveling from PDX to SoCal as fast chargers were convenient and available all along the way, even near my family in SoCal.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Does anyone have a good electrician to recommend for the South Puget Sound area?

GR
Sponsored