Sponsored

Electric tonneau cover for those that didn't get one from factory or was cancelled looks like there is no retro fit option

tyfly867

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
370z, Chevy Suburban
It's a shame there is so much drama surrounding the powered tonneau, its one of my favorite features of the R1T.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
On the current Rivian website, there's nothing even mentioning a powered tonneau any longer, so I guess it might really be gone for good at this point.

michaelcasto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Landscaper
It's trickier than that.

Rivian understandably did not want to freeze orders by saying "Over the next six months we won't have an electric tonneau, but we'll add it back next summer." So they said, "R1T's no longer offer an electric tonneau option" and that was it. No promise of a later addition, no promise of retrofits for people who bought trucks without the electric.

The only promise was that people with malfunctioning electric tonneau's would get a replacement when one was complete.

Anyone who thought much about it figured that a redesign would make it's way back onto the production line in new R1T's, probably for an increased up-charge. I don't think Rivian has officially announced that this will be the case. We did hear an engineer say that she can't wait until "these" [electric tonneau's] are back on the line, but I'm not aware of an official announcement that it's coming. Because they don't want to freeze orders.

That does leave a donut hole into which people who bought an R1T without the electric option are found.

So:
  • Malfunctioning tonneau's will get the redesign, probably for free as part of warranty.
  • Early electric tonneau's that have not failed may or may not get the redesign. I"m not sure I've heard data at that level of specificity.
  • 99% chance that R1T's will again get the electric option once the plants are ready, probably mid-to-late summer 2023.
  • Donut hole R1T's are in a pickle. It's theoretically possible to retrofit an electric tonneau, but it's not clear if the electrical harnesses are there, and the button is definitely not there. Would they want Service to be crushed with a bunch of people wanting retrofits? Not initially. I'd say there's a 75% chance that Service begins offering retrofits after 6-12 months.

Keep in mind that there are approximately 10,000 (more?) R1T's that were made with faulty tonneaus. Service has a boatload of work ahead of them.

That's why I think Rivian may require a tonneau to be malfunctioning before it gets the replacement. At least that would lower the number and slow the pace.

Rivian would make money on retrofits. So it's likely they'll eventually allow it. Eventually. It's also very likely, well nigh a sure thing that new R1T's will eventually be configurable with electric tonneau's. My guess: $3,500 option. Used to be $1,500 iirc.
How about a 1500$ refund for my R1T not having one. I’m not holding my breath for that anytime soon 😂

BenB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
So I just asked my guide about cancelling my order for the manual tonneau cover and getting the electric one. I was told that the electric is for those who

1)have got the version 1 that is malfunctioning and will get replaced
2) no r1t that come from factory.

There currently is no retro fit option for those that didn't order an electronic cover or those that ordered one but got cancelled from factory.

I'm kinda choked as I would have rather a broken electric one and have a recall fix for than not have an electric cover option at all.
I bought the electric originally and loved it for the 3 months it worked. My problem is I use my Truck as a Truck and haul stuff in it. I know I cannot keep the rails clean all the time and dirt, stones, sand or grim could/would again cause a misalignment and so a malfunction. I would love the electric cover but unless I can be assured these issues have been addressed I will have to go with the manual.
Sponsored