Sponsored

Electric tonneau cover for those that didn't get one from factory or was cancelled looks like there is no retro fit option

Ctenophore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The communication that there would be no retrofit wasn't based on speculation or "perspective" it was made crystal clear in communications with my Guide - who everyone should have been communicating with about whether or not a power option would be available as a retrofit and not simply hoping for the best.

That is what informed my decision to delay my order.
It’s not about what was communicated at the time based on what limited information customer service had at the time. It’s about what Rivian may offer to their customers after making an assessment. The message shouldn’t be “don’t ask Rivian for it because they clearly weren’t offering it at the time.” Asking for the offering is the reasonable thing to do, and folks shouldn’t be discouraged from doing so.
Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I’m just planning on getting the refreshed R1T in 2025/6. Hopefully will have lots of upgrades all around, including the tonneau 🤗

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

It’s not about what was communicated at the time based on what limited information customer service had at the time. It’s about what Rivian may offer to their customers after making an assessment. The message shouldn’t be “don’t ask Rivian for it because they clearly weren’t offering it at the time.” Asking for the offering is the reasonable thing to do, and folks shouldn’t be discouraged from doing so.
It might prompt them if a lot of people held back but I don’t think that many value the PTC highly enough to delay receiving their vehicle for many months.

Ctenophore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It might prompt them if a lot of people held back but I don’t think that many value the PTC highly enough to delay receiving their vehicle for many months.
Generally agree that the odds aren’t great given the impact to the overall customer base, but you never know. The other two populations are those that already have the vehicle without a tonneau before redesign and those that will have a vehicle without tonneau after it is reintroduced to production. I assume it’s really just the former population since Rivian may remove the tracks from the bed on some versions of the truck.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Generally agree that the odds aren’t great given the impact to the overall customer base, but you never know. The other two populations are those that already have the vehicle without a tonneau before redesign and those that will have a vehicle without tonneau after it is reintroduced to production. I assume it’s really just the former population since Rivian may remove the tracks from the bed on some versions of the truck.
Rivian have said they will at some point remove the rails if you do. It choose the manual cover. Or the PTC if and when that comes back. That makes sense to save the expense.

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I think I'm missing something. Who said anything about not asking Rivian for a retrofit option?
You and others are welcome to do that and I hope Rivian does offer a solution because that means I can finally order my truck instead of being in a state of constant delay.

All I'm saying is Rivian made it clear they wouldn't offer a retrofit for anyone that didn't have a tonneau from the first batch. This wasn't ever in question. Whether Rivian decides to change their position is another issue.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Iam happy with paying 800.00 upfront for the man model .

it’s simple design and will not have issues.

GB

The stacking motor is the problem and extended use will wear the gears in time .
Agree. I have an R1S on the way, but if I were getting an R1T I would want the manual cover. The stacking design will continue to be problematic long term, and will likely develop water leaks as it ages.

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

I feel for you all
After ours jammed up in week 1, the local
SC - Maryland now gone , removed it.
I told my guide I did not want any cover -how about a wall charger ? They said nope - why would they want to do that?
It will cost them big time and money

countab45

First Name
aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t white, locked tonneau in open position...
mine was deactivated at the factory the day i picked my truck up new. mine is not broken but it’s also not usable so i assume i get the retro.

KRo

First Name
Kory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22’ R1T, 22", RBlue, OCoast, no Tonneau
Occupation
Business owner
I fretted over this decision for about six weeks back when the PTC was discontinued, and my number came up for my R1T. The fretting was agonizing… but the draw for the new vehicle won out and I placed my order and got it on Jan 6, 2023, no tonneau cover included. What I discovered after the fact makes me shake my head at myself with the amount of fretting I did over having/not having the powered tonneau.

What I found after having this thing for several months, was that I kept thinking about the R1T as a TRUCK. Rightfully so… it’s sold as a truck, looks like a truck, absolutely is a truck. However, onboard storing capabilities compared to a traditional truck, are very un-truck like. I did end up getting the soft tonneau from EV Sportline (which is fantastic) … and I have used the bed a few times for big/dirty bed type items… but all of the extra storage ‘stuff’ that I would have placed in the truck bed on my former Tundra, no longer go into the truck bed. The frunk gets a huge amount of use, as well as the passthrough storage behind the second row. Most of the items that would have gone into the bed previously, go into these two areas. None of it goes into the cab…

EUREKA!

So, in conclusion, for the way I use this truck… the powered tonneau wasn’t a loss at all for me. Would I like to still have had the option, sure! Do I regret it, actually… no. I found that quite enlightening for me, and I’d like to go back and educate my younger self… lol

Sponsored

Rivian on a Rampage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Sierra, Ford 555, 29 Ford tudor
Yeah it sucks but Rivian did say that there would be no retrofitting for those who didn't take delivery with a tonneau.
yet there is confusion?? Just spent the weekend with a Hummer and guess what? The power tonneau was broken and it is a common issue. Rivian produced at least 10,000 r1t's with a power tonneau that they already need to warrantee. Would any of you add to or manufacture more vehicles with a power tonneau cover if you were in Rivian position?

Interesting how there is not much talk about the issues hummers are having. From what I was told, a majority of hummers required a complete battery replacement. Could you image what would have happened to Rivian's stocks if their vehicles had that issue?

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
yet there is confusion?? Just spent the weekend with a Hummer and guess what? The power tonneau was broken and it is a common issue. Rivian produced at least 10,000 r1t's with a power tonneau that they already need to warrantee. Would any of you add to or manufacture more vehicles with a power tonneau cover if you were in Rivian position?

Interesting how there is not much talk about the issues hummers are having. From what I was told, a majority of hummers required a complete battery replacement. Could you image what would have happened to Rivian's stocks if their vehicles had that issue?
You mean all 7 Hummer EV's had new batteries installed! Not sure how many they actually produced last year but had to take the opportunity to dig at GM They have just not had a good run at creating EV's. For what it's worth I have reason to believe that a much higher number of F-150 lightning batteries were replaced than what Ford officially reports because it was a service initiative not a "recall". Rivian does not get enough credit for the things they have delivered on exceptionally well. For instance my guess-o-meter is prophetically accurate compared to other EV's.
Do we know what GM is doing about broken PTC's?

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things

No. I would do exactly how Rivian is handling it. I would get the fix out there to all the people who need it. Then I would use those 10K people to determine the reliability of the updated design. If that design is all good I would then bring it back as an option to new trucks and possibly as a retrofit to existing ones without.

Looking briefly at what RJ posted as the fix it seems to be on a roll not a slat design that they have now. I could see this being much more reliable and it sounded much quieter. Regardless I wouldn't put it in a vehicle they don't have to at this point. I would run it in the existing trucks for a year and see if any of them fail. If not, or it's only one or two that fails in that time I would then consider a rollout.

Yes the tonneau is an option many people are willing to pay money for but if it's constantly broken under warranty Rivian cannot charge enough to get it through the warranty period and will lose money on it. They need one that is relatively trouble free to do that. Every service call they have to make on one eats into the profit of the original sale if it's under warranty. They already have 10K potential liabilities and I would do as they are and not expand liability.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
You mean all 7 Hummer EV's had new batteries installed! Not sure how many they actually produced last year but had to take the opportunity to dig at GM They have just not had a good run at creating EV's. For what it's worth I have reason to believe that a much higher number of F-150 lightning batteries were replaced than what Ford officially reports because it was a service initiative not a "recall". Rivian does not get enough credit for the things they have delivered on exceptionally well. For instance my guess-o-meter is prophetically accurate compared to other EV's.
Do we know what GM is doing about broken PTC's?
You're not far off with your guess of 7. I read it was something like 23. Yes if you look at all these legacy manufacturers having major recalls too what Rivian is doing looks pretty impressive.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
You're not far off with your guess of 7. I read it was something like 23. Yes if you look at all these legacy manufacturers having major recalls too what Rivian is doing looks pretty impressive.
If it's in the low double digits then that's a joke. I wouldn't even consider that as a production vehicle. Lets all refrain from even mentioning Hummer EV as a point of comparison until there is at least a thousand consumer examples in the wild. I was kidding when I said 7 I actually thought it was a few thousand.
Sponsored