Sponsored

Electric tonneau cover for those that didn't get one from factory or was cancelled looks like there is no retro fit option

Driftdriven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & BMW iX
So I just asked my guide about cancelling my order for the manual tonneau cover and getting the electric one. I was told that the electric is for those who

1)have got the version 1 that is malfunctioning and will get replaced
2) no r1t that come from factory.

There currently is no retro fit option for those that didn't order an electronic cover or those that ordered one but got cancelled from factory.

I'm kinda choked as I would have rather a broken electric one and have a recall fix for than not have an electric cover option at all.
Sponsored

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
I'm very unhappy with Rivian's decisions so far on this one.

They removed my electric tonneau, and now don't plan to sell me a retrofit one either. Seems like they don't want my money for a product I really want to buy.

OP
OP

Driftdriven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & BMW iX

They removed my electric tonneau, and now don't plan to sell me a retrofit one either. Seems like they don't want my money for a product I really want to buy.
Yes I feel the exact same way. I ordered an electric one years ago and then they forced me to cancel it and now it sounds like they won't be able to retro fit one. It may not be 100% firm on retro fits but my guide made it sound like it's not an option on there plans.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
So I just asked my guide about cancelling my order for the manual tonneau cover and getting the electric one. I was told that the electric is for those who

2) no r1t that come from factory.

There currently is no retro fit option for those that didn't order an electronic cover or those that ordered one but got cancelled from factory.

I'm kinda choked as I would have rather a broken electric one and have a recall fix for than not have an electric cover option at all.
Is this meant to read:

2) NEW r1t that come from factory.

TimJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6

I completely agree. I was told the same thing by my guide. I told her that I would like to be an added voice to have them reconsider. I am willing to pay the full post March 1 price even though I was a pre March 1 order. My suggestion to everyone else who was not allowed the option to have a powered tonneau cover even though originally configured is to make your voices heard with your guides and with customer service. If our options were to take a truck without an accessory we really wanted or wait indefinitely for a product that may or may not have been possible, most of us chose to take delivery and hope Rivian would make things right. Make your voice heard so that there is a chance to make things right. If we do nothing and don’t repeatedly ask them to make this an option, it is on all of us for not asking.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Rivian comms have generally not impressed, but I think this is one of the few issues where they *were clear* that there would be no retrofit option made available for those who took delivery without a factory power tonneau.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Is this meant to read:

2) NEW r1t that come from factory.
Just want to make sure I understand. If you delay your order then there is the option to get a PTC when available for a new build. The issue is if you go ahead now with a new build you will be locked into a manual cover - correct?

Last edited:

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yeah it sucks but Rivian did say that there would be no retrofitting for those who didn't take delivery with a tonneau.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Just want to make sure I understand. If you delay your order then their is the option to get a PTC when available for a new build. The issue is if you go ahead now with a new build you will be locked into a manual cover - correct?
It's trickier than that.

Rivian understandably did not want to freeze orders by saying "Over the next six months we won't have an electric tonneau, but we'll add it back next summer." So they said, "R1T's no longer offer an electric tonneau option" and that was it. No promise of a later addition, no promise of retrofits for people who bought trucks without the electric.

The only promise was that people with malfunctioning electric tonneau's would get a replacement when one was complete.

Anyone who thought much about it figured that a redesign would make it's way back onto the production line in new R1T's, probably for an increased up-charge. I don't think Rivian has officially announced that this will be the case. We did hear an engineer say that she can't wait until "these" [electric tonneau's] are back on the line, but I'm not aware of an official announcement that it's coming. Because they don't want to freeze orders.

That does leave a donut hole into which people who bought an R1T without the electric option are found.

So:
  • Malfunctioning tonneau's will get the redesign, probably for free as part of warranty.
  • Early electric tonneau's that have not failed may or may not get the redesign. I"m not sure I've heard data at that level of specificity.
  • 99% chance that R1T's will again get the electric option once the plants are ready, probably mid-to-late summer 2023.
  • Donut hole R1T's are in a pickle. It's theoretically possible to retrofit an electric tonneau, but it's not clear if the electrical harnesses are there, and the button is definitely not there. Would they want Service to be crushed with a bunch of people wanting retrofits? Not initially. I'd say there's a 75% chance that Service begins offering retrofits after 6-12 months.

Keep in mind that there are approximately 10,000 (more?) R1T's that were made with faulty tonneaus. Service has a boatload of work ahead of them.

That's why I think Rivian may require a tonneau to be malfunctioning before it gets the replacement. At least that would lower the number and slow the pace.

Rivian would make money on retrofits. So it's likely they'll eventually allow it. Eventually. It's also very likely, well nigh a sure thing that new R1T's will eventually be configurable with electric tonneau's. My guess: $3,500 option. Used to be $1,500 iirc.

Last edited:

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
IMO, Rivian is playing it safe by not offering the new power tonneau to ones who want it until they have replaced broken ones and were sure owners have no problems with them. I think this probably will take them some time to process. There’s no reason for them not to offer it if it works as intended.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

It's trickier than that.

Rivian understandably did not want to freeze orders by saying "Over the next six months we won't have an electric tonneau, but we'll add it back next summer." So they said, "R1T's no longer offer an electric tonneau option" and that was it. No promise of a later addition, no promise of retrofits for people who bought trucks without the electric.

The only promise was that people with malfunctioning electric tonneau's would get a replacement when one was complete.

Anyone who thought much about it figured that a redesign would make it's way back onto the production line in new R1T's, probably for an increased up-charge. I don't think Rivian has officially announced that this will be the case. We did hear an engineer say that she can't wait until "these" [electric tonneau's] are back on the line, but I'm not aware of an official announcement that it's coming. Because they don't want to freeze orders.

That does leave a donut hole into which people who bought an R1T without the electric option are found.

So:
  • Malfunctioning tonneau's will get the redesign, probably for free as part of warranty.
  • Early electric tonneau's that have not failed may or may not get the redesign. I"m not sure I've heard data at that level of specificity.
  • 99% chance that R1T's will again get the electric option once the plants are ready, probably mid-to-late summer 2023.
  • Donut hole R1T's are in a pickle. It's theoretically possible to retrofit an electric tonneau, but it's not clear if the electrical harnesses are there, and the button is definitely not there. Would they want Service to be crushed with a bunch of people wanting retrofits? Not initially. I'd say there's a 75% chance that Service begins offering retrofits after 6-12 months.

Keep in mind that there are approximately 10,000 (more?) R1T's that were made with faulty tonneaus. Service has a boatload of work ahead of them.

That's why I think Rivian may require a tonneau to be malfunctioning before it gets the replacement. At least that would lower the number and slow the pace.

Rivian would make money on retrofits. So it's likely they'll eventually allow it. Eventually. It's also very likely, well nigh a sure thing that new R1T's will eventually be configurable with electric tonneau's. My guess: $3,500 option. Used to be $1,500 iirc.
Agree with your reasoning but I expect the PTC to be $3500 for a new build and more like $5000 if they ever retrofitted since it would have additional labor costs to a new build.
I estimate $3500 since the manual is $1800 and a manual retractable cober for the F150 is $2200, so motorizing it would cost more and Rivian charge a high price for options (like paint colors or wheels).
I understand the reasoning of not wanting to freeze sales, butI and others have put our orders on hold hoping that later this year it is available as an option. We will see what happens.

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
Iam happy with paying 800.00 upfront for the man model .

it’s simple design and will not have issues.

GB

The stacking motor is the problem and extended use will wear the gears in time .

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I specifically delayed my pre-March 1 (2021) order so that I could get an R1T with a redesigned power tonneau.

My R1T was due to be delivered in December of 2022 and it broke my heart to delay delivery but since there isn't a retrofit - and Rivian made this clear in communications - I decided I didn't want the truck until it came with a power cover.

My Guide told me that they aren't putting the redesigned cover back into production until it is installed and tested in the existing customer base R1Ts so it looks like it is going to be a while. I'm predicting we won't see the power cover in production as an option to select until Q4 2023 or Q1 2024.

Ctenophore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Wait and see is how I feel about it. There is time for them to replace existing powered tonneau covers, reintroduce the option to production, and assess if a retrofit is something they want to pursue.

I want to push back on the “it was clearly communicated that there would be no option“ messaging from some users based on the perspective that people knew what they were buying and agreeing to on purchase. If Rivian decides to provide an upgraded offering to those that were not given the opportunity to purchase the powered tonneau due to a design flaw, then those users will benefit, and the company will have another, albeit limited, revenue stream. There is no reason to object to users requesting this type of offering if there is a feasible path forward from technical and monetary considerations.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Wait and see is how I feel about it. There is time for them to replace existing powered tonneau covers, reintroduce the option to production, and assess if a retrofit is something they want to pursue.

I want to push back on the “it was clearly communicated that there would be no option“ messaging from some users based on the perspective that people knew what they were buying and agreeing to on purchase. If Rivian decides to provide an upgraded offering to those that were not given the opportunity to purchase the powered tonneau due to a design flaw, then those users will benefit, and the company will have another, albeit limited, revenue stream. There is no reason to object to users requesting this type of offering if there is a feasible path forward from technical and monetary considerations.
The communication that there would be no retrofit wasn't based on speculation or "perspective" it was made crystal clear in communications with my Guide - who everyone should have been communicating with about whether or not a power option would be available as a retrofit and not simply hoping for the best.

That is what informed my decision to delay my order.
Sponsored