Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Came here to comment on 150kw charging.

In 2024, a vehicle that hopes to do long range towing of heavy loads sure as HELL had better be charging higher than 150kw...
Exactly. But forget towing. What new EV (ie not bolt) release or announced this year isn't capable of 150 max or near 150? Assuming they use batteries that are ~150 kWh, they'd have to intentionally have the charging underperform. Which is why you know they literally don't know what they're talking about yet.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I honestly can't get over how poorly done this was. Like... Wtf is this slide? They described basically every EV on the left, and then literally minimal specs are presented on the right. Max 150 kW charging and range prediction? Putting those things on display literally shows they don't know what in the hell their competition is doing. Which I guess is why they have to wait until everyone produces an EV truck to figure out what theirs will be...?

Screenshot_20210708-204456.jpg
SeaGeo,

I was fixated on this slide as well and was going to write about it when I caught your comments. Nicely written! You nailed it!

A few additional things I'm wondering about include, "Improved NVH". Compared to its current ICE cousins (which are very nice pickups), I would hope the goal for the BEV version would be "Decreased NVH". Also, on a BEV, "Instant Torque Advanced Towing" seems to be another way of saying "It will have a Trailer Hitch".

Given how the powerful Ram and Dodge brands have been forcefully grown and projected over the years, "ECO Friendly Image" (is "ECO" an acronym?) may be another way of saying "Capable Of Making Sudden U-Turns".

Finally, I'm guessing the three years needed to get these vehicles out there is because they need to invent and fully develop the cutting-edge technologies they're calling "Smartphone Controls" and "Drive Modes". I can hardly wait! I'm guessing it may also take them a few years of legal wrangling and negotiations to secure approval to use the trademarked names "Dick Tracy" and "Buck Rogers" as edition names. These would seem appropriate choices because each would represent a fun look back in time at seemingly futuristic technology, like watching those two titles on TV Land or Turner Classic Movies.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Came here to comment on 150kw charging.

In 2024, a vehicle that hopes to do long range towing of heavy loads sure as HELL had better be charging higher than 150kw...
Maybe they forgot a zero. 1500kW would be pretty good.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

A few additional things I'm wondering about include, "Improved NVH". Compared to its current ICE cousins (which are very nice pickups), I would hope the goal for the BEV version would be "Decreased NVH". Also, on a BEV, "Instant Torque Advanced Towing" seems to be another way of saying "It will have a Trailer Hitch".
NVH is Bad(TM). Improving it would be reducing it. If you want to improve your golf game, is your goal to get a higher score?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

NVH is Bad(TM). Improving it would be reducing it. If you want to improve your golf game, is your goal to get a higher score?
Yeah, I get that. I was just making a play on words. From my standpoint, if it were possible to virtually eliminate any or all three of those elements, you'd have a better experience. I think of reducing all of them as being the ultimate goal. Improving any of them seems a little like "Oh, yes! I really enjoy this new harshness over that original harshness! This new harshness is greatly improved and way better!" Linguisticly, if reducing those negatives is the goal, to me, it sounds better to just say it that way.

If I want to improve my bowling score, I really want to raise it. Improving my game should get me there. But if my form improves, and my score does not, then my game hasn't improved if score is the measurement.

Again, I was just poking a little fun at what struck me as a strange marketing piece, but I understand your point. ?

Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Maybe they forgot a zero. 1500kW would be pretty good.
I'd drop Rivian, work through my hatred for Dodge, and buy a Ram EV in a heartbeat... if it truly charged at 1.5MW and there were 1.5MW chargers actually deployed.

Last edited:

Snakelipdog

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Tech
I've always been a big MOPAR fan, I had Jeeps, a Wagoneer and a Viper. I've been to parties and presentations for new concepts and wondered when they going to step up their game and move into the 21st century. I thought for sure that it would happen when Fiat got involved. But instead it looks like they slipped back into the 70"s with the gas guzzling Hemis. And I have one as well. The attempt at EV with the Wangler is a joke. I always thought that the Cherokee would be an awesome entry, but no!
Sponsored