Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Man, trying to temper the expectations with that Easter egg about the range, but I totally expect them to sandbag it and deliver more
That's clearly what they are doing by quoting charging rate on a 150 kW charger. There is literally no way (and they've confirmed it) that the thing caps out at 150 kW. I think they're doing it to keep expectations low so that when people hit a 150kW charger, they don't bitch and moan if they don't know the difference between 150 and 350 kw chargers for example.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
That's clearly what they are doing by quoting charging rate on a 150 kW charger. There is literally no way (and they've confirmed it) that the thing caps out at 150 kW. I think they're doing it to keep expectations low so that when people hit a 150kW charger, they don't bitch and moan if they don't know the difference between 150 and 350 kw chargers for example.
I'm hoping they can not only go slightly higher, but maintain that peak much longer and you don't get these crazy spikes and dips that they show with certain brands

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I saw an interview with the Ford head of EVs and he said it was actually 150+ and that they just listed 150kw for that document, but it isn't its max rate of charge.

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Very interesting, I hope Rivian employs similar smart range.
A couple of interesting thoughts from the article. The first was that bed payload doesn't affect range much - I'd extrapolate from that the Rivian under body armor would have similar negligible effect on range. The other was inputting a "trailer profile" - nice idea, but hey, I have a camera in the back and a computer in the front - it can do the math for me.

zipityzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Private
Ford's head of EVs explains how the new F-150 Lightning conquers range anxiety (msn.com)

Hope R1T/S beats F-150 and also underpromise and overdeliver. Rivian still not announcing range details and when 800V/350Kw charging will be available for LE is very concerning.
Agreed. Makes zero sense to have so little information public. The R1S begins deliveries 6-8 months sooner than the Lightning, and we know much more about the Lightning. ??

It was looking clear a few months ago that Rivian just doesn’t have everything finalized, but now it’s essentially confirmed. Rivian can and should step up their transparency; surely much more must be known now.

I’m hoping Rivian bundles a V2H unit, just like Ford is, on higher trims: that’s real EV independence. It’s so perfect for the big packs.

Sadly, I’m learning more from Scaringe’s random interviews than Rivian’s website. Why? Let’s put our money where our mouths are.

//

Notably, MKBHD just got a little too sure of himself with his YouTuber speculation, unfortunately. From your link,

“Onboard scales measure the weight of what's in the bed, cab, and frunk, though Palmer says bed payloads don't tend to affect range all that much.”

So the 300+ mile range is probably accurate even without a 1000 lbs load. Absolutely nowhere near the 450+ MKBHD ran away with.

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Agreed. Makes zero sense to have so little information public. The R1S begins deliveries 6-8 months sooner than the Lightning, and we know much more about the Lightning. ??

It was looking clear a few months ago that Rivian just doesn’t have everything finalized, but now it’s essentially confirmed. Rivian can and should step up their transparency; surely much more must be known now.

I’m hoping Rivian bundles a V2H unit, just like Ford is, on higher trims: that’s real EV independence. It’s so perfect for the big packs.

Sadly, I’m learning more from Scaringe’s random interviews than Rivian’s website. Why? Let’s put our money where our mouths are.

//

Notably, MKBHD just got a little too sure of himself with his YouTuber speculation, unfortunately. From your link,

“Onboard scales measure the weight of what's in the bed, cab, and frunk, though Palmer says bed payloads don't tend to affect range all that much.”

So the 300+ mile range is probably accurate even without a 1000 lbs load. Absolutely nowhere near the 450+ MKBHD ran away with.
It is pretty interesting how they give a car to someone who lacks simple logic. That was a pretty ridiculous claim he put out there without any solid data

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Not sure where this nugget came from. Seems totally inaccurate. I didn't put down $500 nor did I get to choose any trim level or battery size...

Ford F-150 Lightning ‘beyond expectations’
Paladino’s excitement is warranted, considering that Ford.com tallied 70,000 reservations for the Lightning within the first week of its official release on May 19, with $500 deposits plunked down for each, reported Jason Mase, Ford’s cross vehicle marketing manager. “Nearly 70% of those customers were new to Ford, 90% ordered the highest trim level and 80% ordered the extended-range battery,” he reported. “It was beyond our expectations.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/13/gm-ford-are-all-in-on-evs-heres-how-dealers-feel-about-it-.html

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Not sure where this nugget came from. Seems totally inaccurate. I didn't put down $500 nor did I get to choose any trim level or battery size...

Ford F-150 Lightning ‘beyond expectations’
Paladino’s excitement is warranted, considering that Ford.com tallied 70,000 reservations for the Lightning within the first week of its official release on May 19, with $500 deposits plunked down for each, reported Jason Mase, Ford’s cross vehicle marketing manager. “Nearly 70% of those customers were new to Ford, 90% ordered the highest trim level and 80% ordered the extended-range battery,” he reported. “It was beyond our expectations.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/13/gm-ford-are-all-in-on-evs-heres-how-dealers-feel-about-it-.html
Total BS. All reservations were $100 & you can't even spec/price them out yet.
Sponsored