Sponsored

Electric F150 Lightning EV to be revealed May 19

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Yikes! A $20k difference in price for the 300 mile vs. 230 miles range?! I hope that's because the larger battery pack is only available on higher trim levels, or else that's a very big premium!
Sponsored

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
I would ditch my R1S reservation if I could get an EV Expedition with that sweet frunk.

I don’t think Ford’s timeline or pricing will match up, though.
Same here, but more for interior space and usability (maybe, we shall see when R1S rows are finaly explained). I would go for the Nav though... 30 way seats are one thing I would have liked Rivian to get from Ford.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
So extended battery is $7k if this is correct. XLT starts at $52k
I've seen two articles reference low $50's for the extended battery which comes with the XLT.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So extended battery is $7k if this is correct. XLT starts at $52k
That's my understanding as well. I'm assuming this is XLT trim. Lariat is approx 7k more on the ICE version than XLT. I expect a Lariat Lightning w/ the Twin panel moonroof to land around 70k before Federal Incentives.

Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
One thing to note is that the Commerical form factor isn't shown yet. I'm pretty certain it will be an extended cab so that truck bodies can be used to replace the bed. The needs of the commercial segment is too important for Ford to forgo. This is why the panther platform lasted so long.

Rivian R1T R1S Electric F150 Lightning EV to be revealed May 19 Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 10.48.01 AM

NoDakEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'85 Monte Carlo SS, '20 I-Pace, '15 F-150,
Clubs

There's a common theme to many responses here that bashes Ford's likelihood for achieving the claimed goal of 300 miles (not towing) for the extended battery. Like almost everything we say these days about Rivian, that's pure speculation right now. My speculation is that it will easily hit the 300 mile range in real-world testing and surpass it somewhat (20-30 miles) in final EPA rating. I say that based on actual range performance the Ford Mach-E is showing in many real world tests and owner experiences. Ford "sand-bagged" their ratings because they did not want to fall short. The exact opposite of Elon's tactics. Furthermore, the current Mach-E ratings are based on 88% battery power storage potential to start with, so they built-in future degradation effect to preserve mileage down the road. There's speculation that Ford may even use OTA updated software to unlock some of that to expand available driving range on installed hardware.

I might also point out that presently we still don't have any real EPA rating for the Rivian. So we're all banking on the initial battery hitting the 300 mark without a basis for that expectation either.
I am particularly interested to see what type of OTA or other updates Ford offers. I'm a current F-150 owner and routinely get mailings from them to buy a navigation update for a couple hundred dollars. I'm skeptical if they, as a legacy carmaker, will embrace giving away upgrades. Just speculation, but that is what makes these sites interesting.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
It's buried in the NY times article. 59k for the extended battery
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/19/business/ford-electric-vehicle-f-150.html

"The truck is expected to go on sale next spring, with a starting price of $39,974 for a model that can travel 230 miles on a full charge. A version with a range of 300 miles starts at $59,974."
It's a 13k price jump (39k-52k) from Commercial (base model) to XLT, Ford not stating the Lariat, Platinum or Limited trim levels, so what does that 60k model trim level offer other then 300 miles range?

20k for 70 miles of range difference seems a little steep. Then again, if you need to tow more then 7,000lbs you'd need the upgraded battery, because the entry level 230 mile model only tows that much accord to Ford.

Rivian R1T R1S Electric F150 Lightning EV to be revealed May 19 IMG_20210520_135011

Last edited:

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

this may already be posted in here someplace.... not scrolling through 12 pages at this point
Nothing gained by nit-picking tiny dollar differences. The key takeaway are the $10k step-ups

2022 Ford F-150 Lightning's Trim Levels Explained
The new electric pickup is available in XLT, Lariat, and Platinum models, and a base model is coming, too. This is the equipment each one gets.

• The 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning will go on sale in the spring of next year.
  • It'll be available as base, XLT, Lariat, and Platinum models, and this is the equipment that they get.
  • Pricing will start at around $42,000 for the base model and $55,000 for the XLT; Ford has only announced MSRPs of $39,974 and $52,974 and has yet to confirm the amount of the mandatory destination charge.
The F-150 Lightning is the electric version of the F-150 pickup truck, and it'll go on sale in the spring of next year. When it does, it'll be available as base, XLT (pictured in red), Lariat (blue), and Platinum (silver) models similar to its gas-powered counterpart. It's only available as a four-door SuperCrew model with a 5.5-foot box, though, and there are two battery packs available. There's a Standard Range pack, which is targeting 230 miles of EPA-estimated range, and an Extended Range battery with 300 miles of estimated range. We won't know about the base work-truck model until next week, but this is what you'll be able to get on the three other models:

XLT ($55,000 est.)
The XLT model will serve as the base model for the average retail buyer. It comes standard with the Standard Range battery, but the larger pack is optional. The XLT does not get the light bar connecting the taillights that's on the Lariat and Platinum models, but a power tailgate and LED lighting in the bed are both optional. XLT models ride on standard 18-inch aluminum wheels with black accents, and 20-inch dark grey wheels are optional. The F-150's new 12.0-inch touchscreen powered by Ford's Sync 4 infotainment system is the only choice. Cloth seats are standard, and heated seats are optional. The XLT gets the 2.4-kW ProPower Onboard system as standard, and the additional 9.6-kW version is an option. The Tow Technology package, which includes a trailer backup assist, and the Max Trailer Tow package are available on the XLT. Ford's BlueCruise hands-free driving technology is not available on the XLT, but Ford's Co-Pilot360 Assist 2.0 package with adaptive cruise control, lane centering, and built-in navigation is.

Lariat ($65,000 est.)
Like the XLT, the Lariat comes standard with the Standard Range Battery, and the Extended Range pack is optional. Lariat models have gray 20-inch wheels. All Lightning models come standard with fixed running boards, but the Lariat and Platinum have available retractable running boards and a power tailgate. The Lariat comes standard with heated and cooled leather seats and the 15.5-inch vertically oriented touchscreen that uses Ford's Sync 4A infotainment system. An eight-speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system is standard, and a function that allows you to use a phone as a key is available, too. The Lariat models come standard with the 9.6-kW ProPower Onboard. Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist 2.0 is standard, and BlueCruise and active park assist are available on the Lariat. Both tow packages are available.

Platinum ($75,000 est.)
Platinum models are fully loaded and are only available with the Extended Range battery pack and 9.6-kW ProPower OnBoard. They ride on 22-inch wheels with black accents. They're equipped with Nirvana leather heated and ventilated seats with black stripes, the larger (15.5-inch) touchscreen, and an 18-speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system. Ford's maximum recline front seats are available only on the Platinum. Both towing packages are standard on the Platinum models, as is BlueCruise.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
this may already be posted in here someplace.... not scrolling through 12 pages at this point
Nothing gained by nit-picking tiny dollar differences. The key takeaway are the $10k step-ups

2022 Ford F-150 Lightning's Trim Levels Explained
The new electric pickup is available in XLT, Lariat, and Platinum models, and a base model is coming, too. This is the equipment each one gets.

• The 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning will go on sale in the spring of next year.
  • It'll be available as base, XLT, Lariat, and Platinum models, and this is the equipment that they get.
  • Pricing will start at around $42,000 for the base model and $55,000 for the XLT; Ford has only announced MSRPs of $39,974 and $52,974 and has yet to confirm the amount of the mandatory destination charge.
The F-150 Lightning is the electric version of the F-150 pickup truck, and it'll go on sale in the spring of next year. When it does, it'll be available as base, XLT (pictured in red), Lariat (blue), and Platinum (silver) models similar to its gas-powered counterpart. It's only available as a four-door SuperCrew model with a 5.5-foot box, though, and there are two battery packs available. There's a Standard Range pack, which is targeting 230 miles of EPA-estimated range, and an Extended Range battery with 300 miles of estimated range. We won't know about the base work-truck model until next week, but this is what you'll be able to get on the three other models:

XLT ($55,000 est.)
The XLT model will serve as the base model for the average retail buyer. It comes standard with the Standard Range battery, but the larger pack is optional. The XLT does not get the light bar connecting the taillights that's on the Lariat and Platinum models, but a power tailgate and LED lighting in the bed are both optional. XLT models ride on standard 18-inch aluminum wheels with black accents, and 20-inch dark grey wheels are optional. The F-150's new 12.0-inch touchscreen powered by Ford's Sync 4 infotainment system is the only choice. Cloth seats are standard, and heated seats are optional. The XLT gets the 2.4-kW ProPower Onboard system as standard, and the additional 9.6-kW version is an option. The Tow Technology package, which includes a trailer backup assist, and the Max Trailer Tow package are available on the XLT. Ford's BlueCruise hands-free driving technology is not available on the XLT, but Ford's Co-Pilot360 Assist 2.0 package with adaptive cruise control, lane centering, and built-in navigation is.

Lariat ($65,000 est.)
Like the XLT, the Lariat comes standard with the Standard Range Battery, and the Extended Range pack is optional. Lariat models have gray 20-inch wheels. All Lightning models come standard with fixed running boards, but the Lariat and Platinum have available retractable running boards and a power tailgate. The Lariat comes standard with heated and cooled leather seats and the 15.5-inch vertically oriented touchscreen that uses Ford's Sync 4A infotainment system. An eight-speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system is standard, and a function that allows you to use a phone as a key is available, too. The Lariat models come standard with the 9.6-kW ProPower Onboard. Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist 2.0 is standard, and BlueCruise and active park assist are available on the Lariat. Both tow packages are available.

Platinum ($75,000 est.)
Platinum models are fully loaded and are only available with the Extended Range battery pack and 9.6-kW ProPower OnBoard. They ride on 22-inch wheels with black accents. They're equipped with Nirvana leather heated and ventilated seats with black stripes, the larger (15.5-inch) touchscreen, and an 18-speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system. Ford's maximum recline front seats are available only on the Platinum. Both towing packages are standard on the Platinum models, as is BlueCruise.
F-150 Lightning (Base Battery*)

Commercial 39,974k*

XLT 52,974k* (+13k)

Lariat 65k* (+13k)

Platinum 90k est. per Ford 300 mile range (+25k) Fully Loaded

So if each model trim jumps 13k, which it appears to do, the upgraded battery pack is 12k option based on that logic, but if 59k is being touted as the base price of a 300 mile range truck, then it might be a $7k option in the example of the XLT model +extended pack upgrade being 59k. But for the Platinum 78k base (13k jump) +$7,500 for the extended battery (86k) does leave some room for a few other options to ultimately hit that 90k price estimate.

We'll see... but I'm still not to really impressed.

Rivian has to hit their promised numbers though!

I wrote off the Hummer SUT as soon as the 400 mile range became 350 miles and the EV had a sticker of 113k.

I feel these numbers from Ford (and maybe Rivian) could be overly generous. But Rivian does have a smaller vehicle, amazingly large battery chassis and 4 electric motors which as we all know work better in series (more motors are more efficient).

So I'm confident Rivian will not only hit the 400 mile mark, but I'm thinking 400+ for the R1T and even higher for the R1S.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
*logs off Rivian forums*
*logs into F-150 forums*
Types first message"
"Hello everybody! New to the forums, just reserved the new F150 lightning last night! Can't wait to get behind the wheel."
-25% of the members here

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

actually I've been active on both Rivian and 14th-gen F-150 forums in equal portion for at least six months now. My eye (one of the two I have) was on the Powerboost Hybrid truck, with other staring intensely at the R1T.

I think if I did jump ship from Rivian the smarter play would be the Hybrid. I just wish it was more "electrified" as PHEV - but I realize the trade-off in battery size/wt.

Honestly, my 3rd eye (mind's eye) is contemplating prospects for a 2022-23 Tundra-Prime PHEV

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

Not trying to cause controversy, but the delta in cost is significant between the F-150 Lightning and the R1T. Even fully loaded, I'm guessing it will be less than the R1T. If I'm Rivian or Cybertruck, the longer this goes, I think the pricing looks less attractive. Rivian needs to start embracing their preorders or I would not be surprised to see them lose more and more preorders.

Big reason for my commitment was that it was being built only 70ish miles away and wanted to support the company for the investment they made to central Illinois economy. However as I see more EV announcements and options, that commitment is waiving. Maybe this is what it feels like to be engaged and not seeing solid marriage date.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

From a pricing perspective, best to describe the F-150 as having a broader menu selection. There's no doubt a loaded-up Platinum will run in the high $70s or even into the $80s.

The real distinction is the entry-end "XLT" in the low $50s with std. battery and high $50's with extended range of 300 miles. If you don't tick-off all the enticing Options (other than bigger battery) consumer gets a fully capable EV truck decently equipped with more than bare-bones safety and driver-assist features for about $60K.

The commercial truck with 230 mile range pricing in the low-mid $40s is on a whole 'nother level of affordability for a working-man's EV truck.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
From a pricing perspective, best to describe the F-150 as having a broader menu selection. There's no doubt a loaded-up Platinum will run in the high $70s or even into the $80s.

The real distinction is the entry-end "XLT" in the low $50s with std. battery and high $50's with extended range of 300 miles. If you don't tick-off all the enticing Options (other than bigger battery) consumer gets a fully capable EV truck decently equipped with more than bare-bones safety and driver-assist features for about $60K.

The commercial truck with 230 mile range pricing in the low-mid $40s is on a whole 'nother level of affordability for a working-man's EV truck.
I love this perspective. Instead of comparing it to the R1T, I could compare it to our Model Y and it suddenly becomes a lot more intriguing.
Sponsored