Sponsored

Electric F150 Lightning EV to be revealed May 19

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

My biggest wow was the commercial truck. $32k after credit with decent range. Every city and fleet account in the country will be fighting over these for years
Do businesses and municipalities qualify for the tax credit...?

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Has anyone mentioned Ford’s frunk yet? That hinged frontgate and accessible loading floor is pretty sweet looking and something I bet makes its way to future models of the R1T in due time.
Yeah, I think some people we’re speculating that because it’s fully enclosed on the Rivian that allows it it’s great fording depth

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Do businesses and municipalities qualify for the tax credit...?
I always thought so. I'm not a CPA so I'm not sure. Did a Google search and there is a form for business use EV tax credit, what the fine print is I'm not sure

Sponsored

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
I'll be honest, I'm tempted. I love Rivian, but there's certainly some features on this I wish the Rivian had, like flat loading frunk, (at least) one physical control for infotainment, and Android Auto.

Rivian was always a stretch for me financially. Maybe I'll get this now and get a Rivian later.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
It’s no Rivian, but I put a deposit down just for grins. I can see it being an attractive option for current F-150 or other ICE truck owners.

Last edited:

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Chatted with my wife. The more we talked, the less likely we found it that a large percentage of our Ford loving friends and family would be served well by this truck. That genuinely bums us out because we want a lot of EV truck options for folks to slide them off gas.

What we know:
150 kw dcfc = 41 minutes 15-80%
300 mile range with some sort of upgrade fee from the 230 mile base
Our connections all tow big things over distance or drive a long way to work sites: a 150 mile+ drive one-way is nothing for them. A 4-500 mile day is very common.

This version of the Ford truck won’t cut it due to range.
assume 300 miles
lop off 20% for speeds/buffer on either end
lop off another 30-50% for towing and this truck will be getting 120 miles between charges that will take 40 minutes due to Ford’s charging curve and max charge speed
Rural Wisconsin, Dakotas, Wyoming, and Montana do not yet have the infrastructure for this vehicle and that makes me sad.

The max pack Rivian will be close and likely struggle to fill this role. However, it at least has a shot.

This Ford truck will sell well. Many pavement performers, farmers, and town-type workers will be exceedingly happy. I hope that Ford can revisit these stats once batteries become cheaper and lighter in order to make the 500-600 mile and/or much faster charging truck that will fill the use-cases for our friends and family.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
This Ford truck will sell well. Many pavement performers, farmers, and town-type workers will be exceedingly happy. I hope that Ford can revisit these stats once batteries become cheaper and lighter in order to make the 500-600 mile and/or much faster charging truck that will fill the use-cases for our friends and family.
I think that is the important thing. Get that low hanging fruit first. Getting the battery density up to snuff with solid state batteries is going to take time to tackle a use case like you described above.
EVs are such a beta test right now that they won't work for every situation.

This will be a fantastic truck for most people and I still think it will become "THE" truck for any and all fleet accounts. Just makes too much sense at that price. Then once infrastructure matures and the majority of truck owners (weekend warriors) learn about the performance and start switching it will push the segment forward faster, IMO

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
I'm not in the market for a truck but if faced with the choice between a $90,474 loaded F150 with 300 mile range or a $93,000 loaded R1T (which requires ghastly combination of $2,500 blue or yellow paint and $2,000 green interior to get to that price), I'd definitely go with the R1T.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not in the market for a truck but if faced with the choice between a $90,474 loaded F150 with 300 mile range or a $93,000 loaded R1T (which requires ghastly combination of $2,500 blue or yellow paint and $2,000 green interior to get to that price), I'd definitely go with the R1T.
personal preferences, I Agree. However, for the most part I think the real question is if you would buy the $40,000 truck with 230 miles if range and can be your backup power source for your house? With the tax incentive still, that's a hell of a deal for a lot local travel.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
TLDR: I’m buying Rivian for the company as well as the truck. Ford is great company but they’re not Rivian.

As a current F150 owner, it’s a great first leap into EV and appealing to fleet like all said. Specs aren’t up to Rivian and my guess is Ford will be less inclined to keep tweaking things OTA then a techie company like Rivian. Ford could do that with their infotainment but they don’t because it creates a selling point to buy a newer truck.

OP
OP
njcoach24

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
The fact that it can be an 80amp backup back to a house for ~3 days is an awesome feature (with a house equipped for that).
I laughed thinking about seeing this and than remembering Rivian had a similar commercial but the powered up a forest full of Christmas lights ?. The Lighting is completely badass, especially the frunk IMO.

I still prefer the Rivian but it seems pretty basic all of a sudden. It’s a “luxury/adventure/weekend warrior” truck, the Lighting is the truck for the everyday Joe. And anybody who is stretching to get a Rivian will probably be switching.

My question for the rest of you...how far will either of these trucks go carrying heavy loads or towing 10,000 pounds? At more or less 300 miles without anything in the beds or on the roof rails, what we looking like when we start adding gear?

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

I laughed thinking about seeing this and than remembering Rivian had a similar commercial but the powered up a forest full of Christmas lights ?. The Lighting is completely badass, especially the frunk IMO.

I still prefer the Rivian but it seems pretty basic all of a sudden. It’s a “luxury/adventure/weekend warrior” truck, the Lighting is the truck for the everyday Joe. And anybody who is stretching to get a Rivian will probably be switching.

My question for the rest of you...how far will either of these trucks go carrying heavy loads or towing 10,000 pounds? At more or less 300 miles without anything in the beds or on the roof rails, what we looking like when we start adding gear?
Car and Driver tested an Audi recently (Poor comparison I know), and they had ~50% distance loss towing a 4000 lb trailer. With the Lightning, you will need the extended pack to even pretend to tow. When you factor in cold weather, etc., the standard Ford might end up with a less than 100 mile range towing a trailer in cold weather.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30913804/audi-e-tron-ev-towing/

To Echo many others, this will be a fabulous work truck / daily driver. It is a different truck for a different crowd than the R1T. Will not work nearly as well for my use: frequent leisure travel / family truck. No must have features for me. My house is not equipped for V2H.

I think very few people will switch from R1T to Ford.

OP
OP
njcoach24

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
Car and Driver tested an Audi recently (Poor comparison I know), and they had ~50% distance loss towing a 4000 lb trailer. With the Lightning, you will need the extended pack to even pretend to tow. When you factor in cold weather, etc., the standard Ford might end up with a less than 100 mile range towing a trailer in cold weather.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30913804/audi-e-tron-ev-towing/

To Echo many others, this will be a fabulous work truck / daily driver. It is a different truck for a different crowd than the R1T. Will not work nearly as well for my use: frequent leisure travel / family truck. No must have features for me. My house is not equipped for V2H.

I think very few people will switch from R1T to Ford.
what’s the thoughts on weight/towing in the R1T in terms of actual mileage?
Sponsored