Sponsored

Electric F150 Lightning EV to be revealed May 19

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
You know, I had assumed that the hummer would try to compete with the cybertruck. I was obviously wrong.
It's hard to compete with the Tesla CyberTruck numbers because they're just completely made up. The Dual Motor version has "300+ miles range", accelerates to 60 in "<4.5s", and costs "$49,900"... that's the same or better performance for less money than the Model Y Long Range. I'm imagining that the CyberTruck will probably need a bigger battery than the Model Y to go the same distance, so I'm going to call BS on the Tesla numbers.

I'm guessing since the F-150 PowerBoost is already in the $60-70k range, the F-150 Lightning will be around there or higher.
Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Wonder when Ford will sell-out of EV Tax Credits?

Rivian's going to enjoy that benefit for a few years.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It's hard to compete with the Tesla CyberTruck numbers because they're just completely made up. The Dual Motor version has "300+ miles range", accelerates to 60 in "<4.5s", and costs "$49,900"... that's the same or better performance for less money than the Model Y Long Range. I'm imagining that the CyberTruck will probably need a bigger battery than the Model Y to go the same distance, so I'm going to call BS on the Tesla numbers.

I'm guessing since the F-150 PowerBoost is already in the $60-70k range, the F-150 Lightning will be around there or higher.
absolutely agreed. I just didn't expect GM to come out at the cost of 3 theoretical cybertrucks. Or 1.5 Rivians. Or whatever it's current cost is.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
I agree that these numbers will be hard to achieve. CT I believe also is supposed to have air suspension, which also costs a bit extra.

However I also don't rule out they will be able to be close to those numbers. Tesla is able to cut the costs in a lot of places and market it as a feature. Like no proper dashboard with a tablet on it is definitely a cost saving move.

Now in CT you will get no dashboard, no paint, and body that can be done with much simpler tooling process

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Any guess as to what an elecrified F-150 is going to cost? A new hybrid Lariat F-150 crewcab is $70-75K from a quick check on Autotrader. I suspect this is going to run pretty steep. Even at the same price point as a Rivian loaded, probably still take Rivian due to being slightly more maneuverable off-road and will definitely be more unique.
I would be very surprised if they made it an exclusive premium vehicle. Utility companies, city governments, and large contractors will all be clamoring for exactly this. It will save them a fortune on gas.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The Dual Motor version has "300+ miles range", accelerates to 60 in "<4.5s", and costs "$49,900"... that's the same or better performance for less money than the Model Y Long Range.
It could turn out to be as readily available as the $35K Model 3 was. Offered for only a couple of weeks long after other versions and then "off the menu" and then "I don't know what you're talking about - the SR+ is the base model" (at $40,690 with dest & doc fees).
Tesla did the same thing with the promised Model S40 - it existed only long enough to sell a few and meet their promised base price, the cancelled due to "lack of demand".

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I would be very surprised if they made it an exclusive premium vehicle. Utility companies, city governments, and large contractors will all be clamoring for exactly this. It will save them a fortune on gas.
I'm sure it won't be....but I'm not buying a cloth interior, small touch screened F-150 for $50k.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
I want 400+ mile range. Ford is likely going to sell a gas engine add on to do this.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
I agree they're made up or putting it nicely, predicted numbers. I believe the reason they sound too good to be true is because they indeed they are for today's technology. Tesla is betting on battery prices to drop significantly between now and when the CT actually becomes available, in part because of their work on the new cell size and all the other things shown at Battery Day. But Tesla is Tesla, so any ETAs are historically too optimistic, so I bet that either the CT will be delayed until the cost-effective technology is available, or the initial pricing will be much higher. Rivian's with 4 motors and all that range at $69k also struck me as being impossible back in 2018 when announced. 3 years later, look where we are!

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I want 400+ mile range. Ford is likely going to sell a gas engine add on to do this.
That would make it a PHEV and not a BEV as announced.
Removing enough batteries to fit in an ICE, fuel tank, exhaust and all the other associated systems would cut the EV range to 50 miles or less.

Sponsored

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
So they will develop/buy an ICE that has the requisite emissions systems and fuel tank that has enough HP to propel a full sized pickup safely at highway speeds (including passing), fits in the size of a toolbox and can be lifted into place by two people? Dream on.

From the link:
the small engine needed for this type of system isn’t currently available from Ford. BMW uses a 650-cc twin-cylinder scooter motor for the system in its i3. For Ford's range extender to be truly modular, it would need to be light enough for a couple of people to remove together. Ford would either have to use another manufacturer's motor or build its own.
A patent doesn't necessarily mean that something will make its way to the market. But at least it looks like Ford is thinking about how it can woo prospective electric-truck buyers who are concerned with EV range.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
You will know quickly whether Ford is going upscale or for numbers by how soon a single cab 8ft bed version is available. At least a bed longer than a full size pallet. That 54" bed length on the R1T does not bode well for work situations. I realize that's not Rivians target market but

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
it makes life hell for all the future users for the next 40 years.
A bit hyperbolic, don’t you think? You drive up, plug in and charge. Where’s the “hell” in that? Your first day here I see. Jump right in, guns ablazin!

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
There has been no indication at all that Ford will reveal any significant details at all, let alone more than we know about the Rivian. It will be a typical reveal with a prototype and estimated/targeted specs (subject to change).
And lots of “subject to change” disclaimers.
Sponsored