Sponsored

Electric F150 Lightning EV to be revealed May 19

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I would argue with the zero number. Just off the top of my head VW, Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini have all been in business less than a 100 years and still seem to be doing OK.
sorry. My bad. I did mean US car companies. Going against the big 3 is going to be tough. They have anleg up, but I hope Rivan does well.
Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Hyundai Motor Company was formed in 1967, just 54 years ago. They're also doing pretty well. Kia was formed in 1944 and is obviously now part of Hyundai, so maybe someone could validly argue that Hyundai's history goes back to 1944, but still, that's well under 100 years.

Toyota was formed in 1937, which is <100 years. Nissan in 1933. Honda in 1946.

SAIC was formed in the 1955 and is the 7th largest manufacturer in the world.

I suspect that Tess100PD simply missed a major qualifier of "US manufacturer".
Yes. Sorry. I did mean US manufactures.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I really appreciate the passion of Rivian reservation holders. It’s even more passionate on the Tesla side for the CT.

but, let’s take it easy, as they havent even produced a truck yet for the public. Let’s see what happens when they actually do make them and they have been around for a while so we can see the real world results instead on all the hype, wishes and dreams.

Its a nice little truck and it will have a market, and as hope people are happy with them when they eventually get them.

I wish good luck to all.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Sponsored

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
All this comparison with Ford F150 and losing customers to F150 is overhyped. The market is big enough for both.

Rivian from Day 1 knew they had to carve out their target audience. So their target audience has always been the Jeep Wrangler/LandRover crowd.
F150's target audience is, well F150 owners.

Shows in the design and feature list.
For example, Rivian went with a gear tunnel and seat to wear your snow boots/skis.
Ford F150 went for a load cell under the bed, and a bunch of power outlets that let you drive your power tools around the truck.

Would there be overlap? yes, but I would still prefer Rivian.
Not to mention R1S is still the only 7 seat SUV for the next few years!!!
Fully agree. Rivian is trying to go for the adventure oriented, more affluent buyers and Ford is going for the "everyman" truck buyer. Not as much overlap as people think. The only ones I see possibly jumping ship now are the contractor type guys that might go for a Platinum Ford now, but that number is pretty small and they may still like the Rivian and don't want to switch, if I had the money I would get the high spec Rivian.

I think both will do very well for their targeted demographics. Ford is going to CRUSH the work and fleet market with this offering and Rivian has the best SUV in the EV space for quite some time and a great truck that will appeal to non-truck people that want a nicer, more refined option.

I really hope that the masses flock to the Ford like I think they will. I think its the best shot for getting middle America on board with the EV thing, which means taking the CCS charging infrastructure improvements seriously and build more networks out. Making life better for everyone

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
My gut is that Rivian will be absorbed into Ford...I don't think the brand will go anywhere but I do think Ford will take over at some point.
If Rivian goes public a pnd the stock price takes off, Ford won’t be able to afford them. Financially, it might be more plausible for Rivian to absorb Ford, although I don’t see why Rivian would do that.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Fully agree. Rivian is trying to go for the adventure oriented, more affluent buyers and Ford is going for the "everyman" truck buyer. Not as much overlap as people think. The only ones I see possibly jumping ship now are the contractor type guys that might go for a Platinum Ford now, but that number is pretty small and they may still like the Rivian and don't want to switch, if I had the money I would get the high spec Rivian.

I think both will do very well for their targeted demographics. Ford is going to CRUSH the work and fleet market with this offering and Rivian has the best SUV in the EV space for quite some time and a great truck that will appeal to non-truck people that want a nicer, more refined option.

I really hope that the masses flock to the Ford like I think they will. I think its the best shot for getting middle America on board with the EV thing, which means taking the CCS charging infrastructure improvements seriously and build more networks out. Making life better for everyone
I’d phrase it slightly directly and say that those that use a truck, as a truck, every day will likely be more attracted to the F-150. Those who only use the bed of the truck occasionally, will be more attracted to the Rivian.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
If Rivian goes public a pnd the stock price takes off, Ford won’t be able to afford them. Financially, it might be more plausible for Rivian to absorb Ford, although I don’t see why Rivian would do that.
It won’t happen if Rivian goes public, but I’ve long thought that Ford buying at least a controlling interest in Rivian is definitely in the cards. It would make a handsome exit for the current investors, and the two companies would work well together.

2021R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P3D
The quality products Rivian will produce will be far greater than that of any Ford line product, with maybe the only exception being $100,000 plus Lincoln sub-models, but that's still debatable.
You have no idea! Fantics said the same thing about Tesla and it could not be further from the truth. Good grief wait till it has been out a few years to make your totally unsubstantiated claims.

Sponsored

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
You have no idea! Fantics said the same thing about Tesla and it could not be further from the truth. Good grief wait till it has been out a few years to make your totally unsubstantiated claims.
Tesla roadster... Sub par build quality in it's segment, start to finish.

Model S, preproduction to current build model pending the refresh, the same. And I owned a Model S and had a coworker with a model S since 2012. Never were those cars known for "how nice they are on the inside".

Never once was Tesla ever touted as being of better build quality then it's competition (luxury sedan auto manufacturers, MB, BMW, Audi, etc). You're claim is way out of left field to be honest.

Now moving on to Ford... We all know what we're getting there and again I had their 75k Ford pickup. Not bad, but not good either compared to what I've seen of the R1T/R1S. I also owened Ford's luxury offshoot Lincoln, both a Navigator (long ago) and MKZ. So I feel I can offer a good deal of insight on comparing these vehicles.

Range Rover, which I also own... I would say is better, but not by that much as far as material selection and design.

I was able to speak with Rivian's materials purchaser Aimee Hadley (Ex-Nissan) about the R1T/R1S in Normal at the city welcoming event and she again told me that what we saw with the show models is 90+% what we're getting.

It's not a bad thing to actually look at these vehicles in person and form an opinion.

"For gods sake" what information do you have to say otherwise?

✌

Last edited:

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
If true thats the nail in the coffin for the the Rivian for me
He already made a comment on his Twitter that the inflated number was due to driving all the time at very low speed for short distance

Still if it's 350+ that would be amazing
Sponsored