First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Took a bunch of measurements of the Frunk (like how "frunk" is actually recognized by spellcheck!) and looked for a compressor style electric cooler. I settled on this one and so far so good! Also these are the organizers that keep the cooler from sliding around. Just grab onto the carpet
I do recommend that you fill it up with whatever you want to cool down and leave the frunk open as it will heat it up a lot on that initial cool down. Then put the fridge in eco mode. The 12V system is constantly topped off from the main battery pack so no need to worry about killing the 12V system. I have tested this with the weather being in the high to low 80s during the day and it does get somewhat warm in the frunk but once the cooler is to temp and just maintaining its not bad. Will see how this does in the summer.

Still tinkering around with the settings a bit. I think it needs to be on the medium setting for the voltage sensitivity as the Rivian does not go to like 14 volts like a ICE vehicle does when running. Stays at a constant 12.6 to 12.7 volts from what I have seen.

Rivian R1T R1S Electric Cooler that fits nicely in the R1T frunk 1651526901307

Rivian R1T R1S Electric Cooler that fits nicely in the R1T frunk 1651526914556
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Have you tested if the 12V outlet in the frunk stays on when the truck is parked/locked?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Have you tested if the 12V outlet in the frunk stays on when the truck is parked/locked?
On my truck the 12V outlets are off when the vehicle is 'off'

Because of the app on my cooler I was able to test this, if the frunk is open it will always be 'on' and the 12V outlets will be powered.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
On my truck the 12V outlets are off when the vehicle is 'off'

Because of the app on my cooler I was able to test this, if the frunk is open it will always be 'on' and the 12V outlets will be powered.
If the 110V outlets are set to stay on, do the 12v sockets follow this behaviour?

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management

Sponsored

onthebrake

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE - 3/31/2022 Took Delivery
Occupation
Project Manager
I think the frunk itself would be a great cooler with ice. Just need to add a drain hose to the bottom and figure a way for it to drain to the ground. I actually thought Rivian intended for it to be able to drain and be used as a cooler, but I found out I was wrong and Rivian does not recommend using it as a cooler. I'm sure someone on youtube will figure out a way . . . . who knows, maybe that's me !!

gombater

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T FE/FG
Occupation
Engineering Manager
OP
OP
DannyC

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Disappointingly it does seem the power to that 12 volt outlet does NOT stay on. Reallyyyyyy dumb when you have a 135kWh battery attached to the truck!

I guess that will have to be a software update. I have not confirmed this 100% but it seems to get warm when I am away for a while. I thought it was always on because I was using my truck soooo much, just assumed it was always on.

Will keep looking into this.

Also will try putting the inverter on to see if that makes a difference.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

If the 110V outlets are set to stay on, do the 12v sockets follow this behaviour?
I went to try and test this and now I can’t get it to turn off in any config so I’m clueless.

OP
OP
DannyC

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I turned on the inverter and the 12v seems to stay on. The cooler was only $220.

Will keep messing with it.

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I think the frunk itself would be a great cooler with ice. Just need to add a drain hose to the bottom and figure a way for it to drain to the ground. I actually thought Rivian intended for it to be able to drain and be used as a cooler, but I found out I was wrong and Rivian does not recommend using it as a cooler. I'm sure someone on youtube will figure out a way . . . . who knows, maybe that's me !!
maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the frunk was designed to double as an ice chest? And that it had a plug to drain? I know the Ford does for sure. Thought the Rivian did too. I know the spare tire space does, but that's certainly a lot more inconvenient to try and use as an ice chest, having to climb into the bed each time reach stuff at the bottom. Plus, seems like it would get hotter back there as that space isn't as well insulated as the frunk is.

And to the other poster, yes $450 will buy a lot of Ice. So will $40,000 buy a lot of gas to just buy an ICE vehicle instead of an EV. Portable fridge is the nicer, cleaner option.

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
We have one of those types of fridge/coolers only a Dometic. Make sure you have plenty of air availabilty to keep the compressor from frying. We tried ours in the galley of our teardrop, only problem is the galley seals so tight the cooler was not getting enough fresh air and almost fried the compressor. The frunk may be too air tight for it. We've had our for 10 years and love it. They may be expensive but no more buying ice, no more melting ice. We can set ours cold enough to act as a freezer or just as a cooler. There are different brands, with different prices that mainly have to do with the type of compressor they have and how efficient they are.
P.S. put eggs and things like lettuce at the top or they will freeze:).

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I can't believe they would not let the 12 volt plugs stay hot all the time. And why in the hell did they not put one in the bed???
r1t-owners-guide-en-us-20220425.pdf
I'm no licensed/bonded electrician, despite what my hat says, but this "Jeeze, Rivian, just put a DC plug in the bed! You big dumb idiots" thing is bothering me...

My understanding is 1. that would mean another line running to the bed alongside the AC line, and 2. DC would be "always on"when the truck is on, a short risk when exposed to the elements. With AC, you can control on/off easier.
Sponsored