Sponsored

Electric Cars Listed By 0-60 MPH Acceleration: Quickest To Slowest Rivian R1T/R1S turns out to be effectively the least expensive EV in the U.S. 0-60

carl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, VW Atlas, Volvo V60 Polestar
Clubs

As EVs proliferate and get faster, cheaper, lighter, more efficient, etc. I wonder if we'll see regulations that limit acceleration for consumer vehicles. I don't trust the average person with 2s 0-60 ?
Agreed, at that rate of acceleration it's not only dangerous for the people around the car, but the whiplash it could create for an unsuspecting passenger could be serous.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I expect we will have that pretty soon. I think some people analyzed the video of RJ accelerating during the recent Normal event for the ten reservation holders and calculated the zero to 60 was close enough to 3s as to make no difference. Motortrend guys also commented in their first drive video that they believe the number and several folks at the Normal event say its the fastest thing they have ever driven. I don't think there is any reason to doubt the number.
Worth noting as well, they said the 3 second 0-60 was for the 22 sport tires, most of the testing they have been doing is on the 20s which are probably the slowest of the 3 choices for 0-60.

mike22co

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X3 (x2), s00n R1S
Occupation
Person
As EVs proliferate and get faster, cheaper, lighter, more efficient, etc. I wonder if we'll see regulations that limit acceleration for consumer vehicles. I don't trust the average person with 2s 0-60 ?
Right? The more people that get this type of speed, the more it will be abused and create accidents. You already see lots of videos of that with Teslas. If tank-turn can be Geo-fenced, there is nothing stopping speed/acceleration from being geo-fenced, as well. At the very least, it would be nice to have the mode off by default and make someone punch a few buttons to enable it while acknowledging what could go wrong. I must be getting old. Or practical.

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

It's pretty crazy how the sub-4 second club is filled with cars that are $100k+ and there are only a handful under that price. Not only is Rivian under that price bracket, but it is also a pickup truck or a 7-passenger capable SUV!

Caymanwent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Right? The more people that get this type of speed, the more it will be abused and create accidents. You already see lots of videos of that with Teslas. If tank-turn can be Geo-fenced, there is nothing stopping speed/acceleration from being geo-fenced, as well. At the very least, it would be nice to have the mode off by default and make someone punch a few buttons to enable it while acknowledging what could go wrong. I must be getting old. Or practical.
Ok Fun police. I feel like am getting old as well because as much as I dislike what you are saying, you are not wrong.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Ok Fun police. I feel like am getting old as well because as much as I dislike what you are saying, you are not wrong.
I had to laugh at this because I literally was thinking the same thing....