Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

As an engineer, I do appreciate the thoroughness of the Out of Spec videos. I subscribed for a while so I wouldn’t miss anything, but I finally unsubscribed recently because of how noticeably the content was being created to “feed the algorithm” and increase revenue. I understand that’s the environment YouTube has created, so I won’t fault Out of Spec, but I just decided I’m not going to watch over 30 minutes of uncut (or rough cut) footage and hot takes.

Out of Spec isn’t the only one that’s journeyed down this road. TFL, Doug DeMuro, 4x4Overland (Andrew St. Pierre White) and others have moved this way over the last 2 years to varying degrees.
Sponsored

dotlinetriangle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Forest Green / Black Mountain / 21”
Clubs

Algorithm or not, I really enjoy the level of detail in Out of Spec videos. The more geeky details the better! I’d rather Kyle stay behind the wheel doing cool vehicle testing than behind a keyboard editing videos.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The YouTube world supports long videos - our watch time increases the longer the video - personally, I don't make videos to please algorithms but rather explain all testing procedures. For those who are truly interested, they'll watch and our numbers show that. You can be upset our videos are long but we are incentivized, on multiple fronts, to keep them this way
I'd like to see this test repeated towing identical trailers.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Pay to play Kyle likes to hear his own voice. The content of that video could be reduced by 83%

Jamlank

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I like the out of spec videos. There’s a fast forward button for those that think it’s too long. They are detailed and by a clearly knowledgeable person. I guess I like to hear kyles voice too!!

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Personally I have watched a few of your videos and while long, they are interesting most of the way through. It doesn't seem like there's much filler. But since I also only have time to watch things during my work day, my abillity to focus on any one thing more than like 15-20 minutes is rare, before work actually gets in the way. I completely understand how and why it can be beneficial for you and your team with the longer videos, though.
Watch it at a faster speed. Or skip to the points you care about. There are sections for a reason.

Edit: that was intended to be a suggestion, not snark. Not sure how it came off.

Personally I appreciate the length an detail. Most other content producers leave out enough detail I can't figure out wtf they did.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian is slightly more efficient, both indicated numbers and via charging confirmation.
Ford took in 30.164 kwh
Rivian took in 28.77 kwh and charged 5 min faster
With the R1T in all purpose and not conserve.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I wonder if there is a difference. Probably, right?
Mythbusters didn't find an appreciable difference between hardcover and open bed with tailgate up.

Tailgate down was worst.

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
@OutofSpecKyle, do you have plans to repeat the 70 mph range test with your truck on the 22" wheels? I would be curious to see the difference.

coshesey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Director Home Services
What would the efficiency look like if he kept the tonneau cover closed? I know he wanted to make them similar, but the Rivian has it for a reason. It was an included option...

PK

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
@OutofSpecKyle i would've liked to see the difference with efficiency on Conserve and with the power tonneau closed. I've noticed personally my 70mph efficiency on 20" ATs seems to be closer to 2.3-2.35.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
The YouTube world supports long videos - our watch time increases the longer the video - personally, I don't make videos to please algorithms but rather explain all testing procedures. For those who are truly interested, they'll watch and our numbers show that. You can be upset our videos are long but we are incentivized, on multiple fronts, to keep them this way
I'm personally fine with how long your videos are. I hope you have the Lightning long enough to do a long range race with multiple charge stops. I think that would be a lot more telling than a smaller range test like this.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I’m fine with the length as you get more info from it. I also like the cadence of speech as it makes it very easy to watch at 1.5 or even 1.75 playback speed.
Sponsored