Sponsored

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
On Monday I made a 250 mile trip for the first time in relatively cold weather. I charged to 100% on my son's level 2 charger, then parked the R1T in his driveway for the night - 16 degrees. After charging the truck was predicting 310 miles of range in Conserve. By morning the range had decreased to 301 miles.

Across the state the predicted wind was 18-19 mph from the northwest for the whole day. Temps for the trip ranged from 16-19 degrees, roads were dry.

The first leg of the trip was pretty much straight north on interstate highways, mostly flat with the wind coming in at the driver's front fender. My speed was 70-80 mph, averaging around 75. I stopped at an EA 114 miles in. Charging set to 85% limit. At that point I was at 49% SOC (151 miles range predicted). Charging on a EA 350 KW port at 18 degrees - "Charging limited while battery conditioning" warning displayed, initial charge rate 27 KW. After about 10 minutes "Conditioning complete" displayed, charge rate ramped quickly to 121 KW, then slowly ramped up to a peak of 131 KW at 63% SOC, then ramped down to 110 KW by 67%. By 70% rate had dropped to 88 KW, slowly ramping down to 55 KW by the time it ended at 85% SOC. On the EA receipt it said 52 KW delivered total - 114 miles traveled plus preconditioning and cabin warming loads while charging.

The next leg was northwest, so headwind all the way. I put HA/ACC on 70 mph for the next 50 miles of flat terrain, then turned onto a 2 lane highway going north through a mostly wooded, somewhat hilly area so the wind probably did not have quite the same negative effect as earlier. For the 2 lane part I was averaging 60 mph - for about 84 miles. I arrived home with 24% SOC (75 mile range estimated) and the temperature was 18 degrees.

So between 18 mph headwind and sub 20 degree temps the range definitely takes a hit. At 75 mph 50% of range consumed for 114 miles. The next leg with lower speeds consumed 61% of battery capacity for 134 miles.

Draw your own conclusions, but for me, I figure my max winter range is about 200 miles (less if traveling at higher speeds and/or in snow) before charging to give me a confortable range reserve.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Thanks, really useful details. Nice to know it at least knows to condition the battery in the cold and keeps you updated.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
On Monday I made a 250 mile trip for the first time in relatively cold weather. I charged to 100% on my son's level 2 charger, then parked the R1T in his driveway for the night - 16 degrees. After charging the truck was predicting 310 miles of range in Conserve. By morning the range had decreased to 301 miles.

Across the state the predicted wind was 18-19 mph from the northwest for the whole day. Temps for the trip ranged from 16-19 degrees, roads were dry.

The first leg of the trip was pretty much straight north on interstate highways, mostly flat with the wind coming in at the driver's front fender. My speed was 70-80 mph, averaging around 75. I stopped at an EA 114 miles in. Charging set to 85% limit. At that point I was at 49% SOC (151 miles range predicted). Charging on a EA 350 KW port at 18 degrees - "Charging limited while battery conditioning" warning displayed, initial charge rate 27 KW. After about 10 minutes "Conditioning complete" displayed, charge rate ramped quickly to 121 KW, then slowly ramped up to a peak of 131 KW at 63% SOC, then ramped down to 110 KW by 67%. By 70% rate had dropped to 88 KW, slowly ramping down to 55 KW by the time it ended at 85% SOC. On the EA receipt it said 52 KW delivered total - 114 miles traveled plus preconditioning and cabin warming loads while charging.

The next leg was northwest, so headwind all the way. I put HA/ACC on 70 mph for the next 50 miles of flat terrain, then turned onto a 2 lane highway going north through a mostly wooded, somewhat hilly area so the wind probably did not have quite the same negative effect as earlier. For the 2 lane part I was averaging 60 mph - for about 84 miles. I arrived home with 24% SOC (75 mile range estimated) and the temperature was 18 degrees.

So between 18 mph headwind and sub 20 degree temps the range definitely takes a hit. At 75 mph 50% of range consumed for 114 miles. The next leg with lower speeds consumed 61% of battery capacity for 134 miles.

Draw your own conclusions, but for me, I figure my max winter range is about 200 miles (less if traveling at higher speeds and in snow) before charging to give me a confortable range reserve.
Can you see SOC in KWh on display? Or do you have the option to show it in settings somewhere?

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

Thanks for this real life experience. Makes me glad i live in North Carolina. If we see those temperatures here, we don't leave the house:D

johnnylawson

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 RAV4 EV, 2012 Volt
Occupation
Solutions Architect / Developer
Clubs

Draw your own conclusions, but for me, I figure my max winter range is about 200 miles (less if traveling at higher speeds and in snow) before charging to give me a confortable range reserve.
Thanks for this update. 200 miles in those conditions is still an upgrade for me. My 2013 RAV4 EV gets about 50 in the winter weather here and about 115 on perfect conditions. This is after replacing the low resistance EV tires with better traction all season tires.

Sponsored

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo

Draw your own conclusions, but for me, I figure my max winter range is about 200 miles (less if traveling at higher speeds and/or in snow) before charging to give me a confortable range reserve.
This kind of information is why will will hold out for the max pack.

OP
OP
fastwheels

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Reactions: Max

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Excellent real-world winter temp report. Much appreciated from Colorado high country.

Enjoy your rig and forthcoming spring.

Lil'Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE
Occupation
Product Support
Thanks for sharing your experience. This is similar to what we experience with our MY here in IL. We save our long trips for warm weather.

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Thanks. This is what I was expecting, so no surprises.

Going to make my trips up to Northern WI interesting until they build up the charging infrastructure. The last decent dcfc is 220 miles away from my destination.

Maybe I'll plan trips on days expecting tailwinds :)

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I was trying to do some checks on this but it’s a bit hard since starting SOC was 99% but the intermediate charges were to 85% and final is at 24%. Any chance you can charge to 100% at home and get a final kWh consumed for the entire trip?

My quick estimate is you were getting 1.8mi/kWh going 75mph into a 20mpg quartering headwind while below 20*F. High speed, headwind, and low temps are all individual drags on efficiency, so I’d say this result is really good.

Slowing down to 70mph will consume 15% less energy than driving at 75mph. Adding that 15% back in bumps the efficiency above 2.0mi/kWh which is great.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
Here are my first trip numbers going up and back in CO mountains; weather was dry and 50 - 60 degrees, drove around 74mph on highway average:

charged to 100% in Denver -- showed 293 mile range in Conserve mode
132 mi to destination; had 137 mi on arrival down ~ 15% than calculated
Drove 51 miles back to EA charger; arrived with 88mi showing -- down ~20% from calculated

charged to 70% (183 mi shown)
switched to all purpose mode
88 mi back to start; should have arrived with 95 mi; actual mileage was 123 (lots of regen into Denver; trip was ~3500' climb up)

All these numbers are a bit rough. Overall, pretty good range to calculated. I think the 293 may have help up start to finish but it would be a little 'white knuckle' on the back half counting onthe regen to come through. Doing same trip this weekend and will be interesting to compare.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Here are my first trip numbers going up and back in CO mountains; weather was dry and 50 - 60 degrees, drove around 74mph on highway average:

charged to 100% in Denver -- showed 293 mile range in Conserve mode
132 mi to destination; had 137 mi on arrival down ~ 15% than calculated
Drove 51 miles back to EA charger; arrived with 88mi showing -- down ~20% from calculated

charged to 70% (183 mi shown)
switched to all purpose mode
88 mi back to start; should have arrived with 95 mi; actual mileage was 123 (lots of regen into Denver; trip was ~3500' climb up)

All these numbers are a bit rough. Overall, pretty good range to calculated. I think the 293 may have help up start to finish but it would be a little 'white knuckle' on the back half counting onthe regen to come through. Doing same trip this weekend and will be interesting to compare.
Some have stated the ride in Conserve is very bouncy with the R1 sitting so low. How would you rate the highway ride in Conserve?
Sponsored