Sponsored

Education on Nema 14-50 (50 amp) plug vs 60 amp hardwire

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
FYI, OpenEVSE allows you to easily disable its built in GFCI checks, thereby eliminating the "double GFCI problem". It can be ordered with a 14-X plug that will fit 14-30, 14-50, and 14-60 (because it skips the neutral pin). Therefore I consider the OpenEVSE to be a good choice for locations that have the NEMA 14-50 on a GFCI.

The OpenEVSE will also happily drop down to level 1 operation if properly adapted to a wall socket, 120v RV outlet, etc.

I have certainly been happy with my OpenEVSE unit at home and for charging at electrified camp sites.
I seriously considered the OpenEVSE…. I love open source, after all. But the lack of UL listing was a deal breaker for me.
Sponsored

fhteagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, considering R1S
Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

zigzagzap

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maserati QP, Porsche GTS, BMW X5, R1S
Occupation
Financial
So I have been reading up on the typical NEMA 14-50 plug that most EV owners get. I don’t know why exactly it’s called a plug but the 60 amp is called hardwire. I’m assuming the NEMA 14-50 is a lot cheaper than the 60 amp? At a 135 kW R1S battery, these 2 options are, I believe, a difference of 2 hours.

Does the “plug” mean you can take it to any Tesla charging station and charge it there whereas a 60 amp is dedicated and needs to be installed differently and only for your home, hence the term “hardwire”?
I have the $400 wall charger added to my order but if the cost of installation of the 60 amp circuit to fully realize this extra 25 miles per hour charge is cost prohibitive, I may just go with the NEMA 14-50 installation, like most people do, even if it’s slightly slower to fully charge.

I may also get a hybrid car which only charges at 7.2 kWh vs the Rivian which charges at 11.1 kWh. So not sure which setup is best.
Clipper Creek has a full range of Rivian-specific products and informative videos. Might be worth your time.
https://clippercreek.com/

HCS-60 - 48 AMPS
Output Power (kW): 11.5
Charging time* (from empty): 15.5h
Price starting at: $989.00
Miles of range per hour of charging**: 25.50
Cost to charge*** (from empty): $22.84

HCS-50 - 40 AMPS

Output Power (kW): 9.6
Charging time* (from empty): 19h
Price starting at: $699.00
Miles of range per hour of charging**: 21.25

HCS-80 - 64 AMPS --- DOES NOT PROVIDE ANY FASTER CHARGING THAN THE HSC-60
Output Power (kW): 15.4
Charging time* (from empty): 15.5h
Price starting at: $1,066.00
Miles of range per hour of charging**: 25.50

This is a well-done video explaining differences.
EV Charger Installation: Hardwired vs. Plug-In

edited to include the last video.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
At my main house we already had a 14-50 plug on a 50amp breaker (allowing 40 amps to charge) so I went with a Wallbox 40amp charger. This nets about 9.9 kWh. Since this is what was already installed in the location, it was the easiest.

At my vacation house, I'm going to have to run new wire to where the charger will be located. luckily it's basically on the wall opposite where the main panel is located for the house. This means only running about 3-4 feet of wire and connecting a 60amp breaker. Since it'll be hard wired, I'll spend the extra $50-75 for the 50amp Wallbox charger and get a little faster charge while there. This will also likely work out better in the long run as friends top off their electric cars while staying at the house as well.

One nice feature of the Wallbox Chargers is that you can hard-wire two of them off of the same electrical run. If you plug a car into each outlet, then as soon as one car is finished, the other will start (the Wallbox units will communicate with each other). If you have a house with multiple electric cars, then this may be a different option.

BrianPletcher

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Audi eTron, Bolt EV