Sponsored

EDR Data Access Waiver - Sign or not?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
For those who have taken delivery, did you sign the EDR form giving Rivian access to your Event Data or pass?

I'm on that step and trying to decide. normally I wouldn't sign anything giving data access voluntarily, but wondering if that's something they need for accident detection or roadside assistance etc?
Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
There was a discussion of this on Reddit.

They really should have split this out into 2 parts. I don't mind giving Rivian access to the data to improve the vehicles, but I'm not really comfortable with the part about

Rivian may also share such data with authorized service providers, law enforcement, and other third parties as required or appropriate to accomplish the purposes above.
That's waaaay too vague and open-ended.

We decided to not sign it, even though I think it would be great for SOS support and internal crash analysis. But when you read the agreement carefully, it's worded in such a way to basically have no protections for the vehicle owner at all. They can effectively store the information as long as they want, and share it with anyone they want.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
I signed, and I believe it has benefitted me as of today. I called in about a malfunction warning that I got last night from adaptive cruise control. They asked me what time the event happened and once I gave a time window, he said they would pull the logs and give me feedback as to the cause of the malfunction.

While I agree the vague statement brought out in the above posts is concerning, I can't help but see the benefit of having them able to go pull and review the logs and tell me why the warning prompted.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I signed, and I believe it has benefitted me as of today. I called in about a malfunction warning that I got last night from adaptive cruise control. They asked me what time the event happened and once I gave a time window, he said they would pull the logs and give me feedback as to the cause of the malfunction.

While I agree the vague statement brought out in the above posts is concerning, I can't help but see the benefit of having them able to go pull and review the logs and tell me why the warning prompted.
They can pull those particular logs any time they want to. The ones in question are the state of the vehicle 30 seconds prior to a crash. Information that could be used against you in an crash you caused. Of course I signed it, because I don't plan on causing any crashes.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

🤔 - Wondering what I signed that I didn't read carefully..

Is Rivian going to try and turn me into a Humancentipad?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ironpig

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah based on how overreaching it reads, I would never normally sign something like this. The information can always be gathered later if it needs to be.

I was just curious if others had the same response.

OP
OP
ironpig

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

That’s different. They can pull logs anytime. This is about the EDR and your voluntary participation allowing police and Rivian to take your cars crash data without them needing to ask for it. I’m generally disinclined to sign anything like that when there is an option.

OP
OP
ironpig

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They can pull those particular logs any time they want to. The ones in question are the state of the vehicle 30 seconds prior to a crash. Information that could be used against you in an crash you caused. Of course I signed it, because I don't plan on causing any crashes.
Who plans to cause crashes?😂

In the event that I or anyone driving my car was in an accident that resulted in litigation, i would rather any information from my car be turned over with my knowledge and permission based on the advice of council ( or in response to a subpoena) like any other disclosure. Not sure why I would prematurely through away that basic right.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Who plans to cause crashes?😂
Half of the drivers I encounter on a daily basis seem to be the type to try to kill me, so them.

OP
OP
ironpig

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Half of the drivers I encounter on a daily basis seem to be the type to try to kill me, so them.
that's for sure. My biggest anxiety of my Rivian has nothing to do with range, build quality, service etc. It's entirely about trying to drive it in Los Angles without getting crunched by someone who decides to make a turn from the right lane on a green light or rear ending me while they are FaceTiming on their phones.
Sponsored