Sponsored

Edmunds: R1S vs. Tesla Model X Plaid Three Row EV SUV Comparison Test. Which Luxury EV SUV Is Best?

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just watched this.

Can’t believe they said the R1S is 17” longer than the R1T!! Ummm… really???

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Just watched this.

Can’t believe they said the R1S is 17” longer than the R1T!! Ummm… really???
OMG. Why is it these automotive sites can never get basic information right?

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
How is 3.4 seconds 0-60 more than a second slower than 2.7 seconds? Seems to me that 3.4 seconds is less than a second slower than 2.7. By my math it's .7 seconds. That with saying the R1S is 17" longer and this edmonds needs to fire their fact checker.

Last edited:

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
How is 3.4 seconds 0-60 more than a second slower than 2.7 seconds? Seems to me that 3.4 seconds is less than a second slower than 2.7. By my math it's .7 seconds. That with saying the R1T is 17" longer and this edmonds needs to fire their fact checker.
Exactly!!!

Sponsored

0=====0

First Name
Rajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
O|||||||O and R1S LE 0====0
Occupation
Engineering
How is 3.4 seconds 0-60 more than a second slower than 2.7 seconds? Seems to me that 3.4 seconds is less than a second slower than 2.7. By my math it's .7 seconds. That with saying the R1T is 17" longer and this edmonds needs to fire their fact checker.
Not even about fact checking at this point! It's basic math. To their credit there is some useful info in there. Like R1S beat R1T in their range test.

It's comparing apples and oranges, both are fruits of roughly the same size.

0.7 second slower 0-60 for half the price?
I'll take that all day long!

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
Not even about fact checking at this point! It's basic math. To their credit there is some useful info in there. Like R1S beat R1T in their range test.

It's comparing apples and oranges, both are fruits of roughly the same size.

0.7 second slower 0-60 for half the price?
I'll take that all day long!
It's .7 seconds slower but you get 50% more steering wheel. I'd say that's an even trade any day of the week.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Gawd, there is ZERO practical difference between a 3.4 and 2.7 second 0-60 time. Both are absurdly fast for that type of vehicle. Does the video actually do a decent job at comparing the third row seats at least?

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
Gawd, there is ZERO practical difference between a 3.4 and 2.7 second 0-60 time. Both are absurdly fast for that type of vehicle. Does the video actually do a decent job at comparing the third row seats at least?
Yes I think that was actually one of the useful portions of the video. The X's third row looks awfully cramped but it's easier to get into and out of.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Yes I think that was actually one of the useful portions of the video. The X's third row looks awfully cramped but it's easier to get into and out of.
True but that head smacker on taller people looks pretty bad, should be like an amusement park ride and set a max height for that row.

Other thought, better to be uncomfortable for a few seconds getting to the third row instead of for the entire ride (if given those choices).

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
True but that head smacker on taller people looks pretty bad, should be like an amusement park ride and set a max height for that row.

Other thought, better to be uncomfortable for a few seconds getting to the third row instead of for the entire ride (if given those choices).
I forgot about that. Yeah I'm not sure I would want to ride back there at all. What if you got in an accident? That roof line would take your head off.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
How is 3.4 seconds 0-60 more than a second slower than 2.7 seconds? Seems to me that 3.4 seconds is less than a second slower than 2.7. By my math it's .7 seconds. That with saying the R1S is 17" longer and this edmonds needs to fire their fact checker.
They tested the R1S 0-60 at 3.9s and X Plaid at 2.7s, hence the more than 1s slower. I know, Edmunds testing, if you can believe it.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Rivian R1T R1S Edmunds: R1S vs. Tesla Model X Plaid Three Row EV SUV Comparison Test. Which Luxury EV SUV Is Best? 6EF22C10-DCDE-458E-BD11-3521B0D468DA

Says 3.4

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
They were also testing the R1S with all-terrain tires, so a 1:1 performance comparison doesn't make sense.

This is my only real complaint with the video. With proper sport (or even the all-season) tires, the R1S performance would be much more comparable to the Model X, without all the compromises.

They also didn't mention the range they got on the Model X (or I missed it), and I've heard it's pretty bad in real-world tests (i.e., while the R1S beats the EPA rating, the X is well below the EPA rating).

Reactions: Guy

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
They were also testing the R1S with all-terrain tires, so a 1:1 performance comparison doesn't make sense.

This is my only real complaint with the video. With proper sport (or even the all-season) tires, the R1S performance would be much more comparable to the Model X, without all the compromises.

They also didn't mention the range they got on the Model X (or I missed it), and I've heard it's pretty bad in real-world tests (i.e., while the R1S beats the EPA rating, the X is well below the EPA rating).
Yeah, not using similar tires is pretty stupid if you’re worried about tenths of a second here and there, but as I said, it makes no practical difference.

As far as Model X range, it used to be that Tesla ranges were optimistic, but the latest Model X has very decent range. Again, the two vehicles are probably comparable. But again, if comparing, you should put road tires on the R1S.
Sponsored