Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

“The average temperature over the course of the test was 80 degrees. That's a bit warmer than average for our tests, though we keep the automatic climate control set to 72 degrees no matter what. After a full day behind the wheel, we totaled 330 GPS-verified miles. That's 14 more miles than the EPA estimate, a 4.6% improvement. And again, that's with the all-terrains, which Rivian says should reduce range, not increase it. As of this writing, the only electric SUV that traveled farther in our range tests is the BMW iX xDrive50 (377 miles), though the BMW lacks the Rivian's third row of seating. The Tesla Model X, which has the adult-friendly third-row seats to compete directly with the R1S, topped out at 294 miles in our testing and of course lacks the R1S's off-road chops.”

Full article link:

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/range-test-2022-rivian-r1s-electric-suv.html
Sponsored

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Wow. I can barely get that in conserve on 21s. R1T

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

80 F is probably about optimal temp for the Rivian. Batteries are the most efficient when they are warm and A/C is still pretty efficient. Air density is lower so less wind resistance. Hotter than that and they probably need to expend energy to keep the battery cooler too.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
80 F is probably about optimal temp for the Rivian. Batteries are the most efficient when they are warm and A/C is still pretty efficient. Air density is lower so less wind resistance. Hotter than that and they probably need to expend energy to keep the battery cooler too.
I concur. Over Christmas week in the LA area we had similar temps and amazing efficiency

Sponsored

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Did I miss the speed they were going? Is this a loop?

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
They did this entirely in conserve mode whereas the epa estimate is a mix of conserve and sport mode. Still seems high tho— def better than I get on 21’s!

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Interesting it’s farther than the R1T in their testing. You all think it’s due to day to day variability, the S is actually more efficient, or the battery improvements in that recent update actually had an appreciable range impact?

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Interesting it’s farther than the R1T in their testing. You all think it’s due to day to day variability, the S is actually more efficient, or the battery improvements in that recent update actually had an appreciable range impact?
The OTA update unlocked some of the battery didn’t it. If that is true then I would expect the most recent vehicle to be tested to go further (all conditions being comparable).

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

The OTA update unlocked some of the battery didn’t it. If that is true then I would expect the most recent vehicle to be tested to go further (all conditions being comparable).
It did. I’ve been curious if it’s truly an appreciable amount, maybe this is evidence that it is. Gotta figure out when my next long drive is and see if I can hit 300 miles on a charge.

Sponsored

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I haven't yet been able to drive more than 200 miles without feeling an overwhelming urge to stop at Sam's or Wal-Mart to go pee and buy some granola, but maybe that's because I have 22s and usually drive in all purpose auto. I thought that might change after the most recent update but it didn't...

Rivian R1T R1S Edmunds: R1S range tested on 20” AT tires IMG_8754

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
This makes me eager to see how much more range I can get out of my R1S on 20's during a SoCal summer. Since taking delivery in November, I've averaged about 1.95 mi/kWh in "chilly" winter temps (mostly between 50 and 70 degrees).

carlf

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, BMW M2 Competition
I would really like to know what their average speed was because I get nowhere near that. Just got back from our first "long" road trip from Phoenix to San Diego and back in our R1S with 20's AT (full writeup of that experience coming), and my average came to 1.77 mi/kWh over the course of 760 Miles. Now I did drive mostly "normal" speeds which is around 10 miles over the speed limit (conservative mode70-80mph), and it was crazy windy on the way there. Then once I got closer I had to ease up and be more conservative to make sure I didn't have to do a second charge stop.

So yeah, were they driving 55 the whole time?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I haven't yet been able to drive more than 200 miles without feeling an overwhelming urge to stop at Sam's or Wal-Mart to go pee and buy some granola, but maybe that's because I have 22s and usually drive in all purpose auto. I thought that might change after the most recent update but it didn't...

IMG_8754.jpg
Back in February on the East Coast going south on I-95 I had a stretch where I started at 90%, drove 220 miles and my navigation was telling me I had 95 miles left. This was in an R1S on 22s using conserve on the highway in temps between 55 and 60 keeping driver+ set at 2 miles over posted speeds that were 60-70 mph.

Viet658

First Name
Viet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Edmunds buries their methodology. 60% city is the reason they have inflated numbers. I prefer 100% Highway testing since that is when most people care about range on those long highway drives
Rivian R1T R1S Edmunds: R1S range tested on 20” AT tires E4DC326B-9110-426E-AF07-7BABB55DB0E2
Sponsored