Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The one concern I have after watching that review is the issue he had with wind noise. Have any other reviewers mentioned that? I hope it was just perhaps a door/window seal issue with their truck and not a general problem. One of the benefits of an EV is the silence and excessive wind noise would really detract from that not to mention that it would be a sign of a less than optimized design with regard to aerodynamics.
I share that concern. Most reviewers have indicated minimal wind noise on the highway. I think most of the Rivian events have also required windows be open due to Covid concerns so we onbvisouly wouldn't notice such things during customer test drives. I believe there has been some mention of the "window felt" (whatever that is) bunching up and preventing the window from closing at times so this could possibly be related. Hopefully this is fully sorted prior to deliveries.
Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
The one concern I have after watching that review is the issue he had with wind noise. Have any other reviewers mentioned that? I hope it was just perhaps a door/window seal issue with their truck and not a general problem. One of the benefits of an EV is the silence and excessive wind noise would really detract from that not to mention that it would be a sign of a less than optimized design with regard to aerodynamics.
I thought it was odd too. Other reviews were saying how it was so quiet especially compared to Teslas.

Jsidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
The night driving shots confirmed there is no interior ambient lighting built into the dash.

It was hard to tell, but looked like there was minimal ambient lighting other than the footwells?

Anyone notice something different?

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The night driving shots confirmed there is no interior ambient lighting built into the dash.

It was hard to tell, but looked like there was minimal ambient lighting other than the footwells?

Anyone notice something different?
It's an option that you have to turn on and off. It was shown in the interior video by the UX guy

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
So then safe to assume ~415 for Max Pack?
Depends on whether the Max Pack is 12 battery modules or 11, doesn't it? If it's 11 modules as someone recently reported/rumored, I would guess the Max Pack range is more like 385-390.

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Edmunds: "I think it will appeal to a whole new generation of truckers... affluent techie types with a taste for adventure, the sort of people who wear head-to-toe Patagonia"

Me, a software engineer that has never owned a truck and is currently wearing Patagonia clothing: ?

I didn't come to this video expecting shots like this.
The truth hurts us all sometimes

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian’s Simple Brake Launch vs Hummer WTF: Remember some of the journalists who were spouting the Hummer EV was so much more forceful and faster off the line than the R1T? Looks like they are about the same. The difference Edmonds displayed this in a simple, quick fashion with the R1T vs the Hummer has to enter WTF, sit a few minutes to prep, then with a bunch of weird noise like an arcade game and $40k more, matches the R1T. No thank you, GM
I wonder if that's the cause for what seems to be wildly different 0-60 times we see with the R1T. The Hummer, like the model S, is conditioning the battery for max power.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I thought it looked very odd in the high setting on 21s
Agreed. It doesn't look quite right doing even semi offroading with the 21s. Imagine how weird and basically useless it'll be to offroad in the 22s. Which got me thinking. If you do buy the 22s you're basically losing half the driving functionality of the car. Kinda seems like a waste to buy this truck with anything other than 20 ATs.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
I get it, but I'm so tired hearing of "it's a prototype", "non production", etc.
Agreed. I feel like all the employees have preproduction trucks. Why not give the best to reviewers? Odd

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I get it, but I'm so tired hearing of "it's a prototype", "non production", etc.
I look at it this way. "it's a prototype" is usually used as an excuse for poor vehicle quality. However we're hearing about the high quality and finish of these, despite them being prototypes. That speaks rather well of production vehicles.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I am curious about his claim that it’s narrower than a Ranger…
As long as you don’t take Captain along, you will be just fine.

Rivian R1T R1S Edmunds full (independent) review for R1T - 317 mile range on 21” wheels 1636587564658

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
Agreed. It doesn't look quite right doing even semi offroading with the 21s. Imagine how weird and basically useless it'll be to offroad in the 22s. Which got me thinking. If you do buy the 22s you're basically losing half the driving functionality of the car. Kinda seems like a waste to buy this truck with anything other than 20 ATs.
22s will look superb, I think, and likely improve lateral performance slightly. Getting the 22s at the same price as the 20s is a good deal if you plan to swap wheel/tires between daily driving and adventure-seeking activities. It is cheaper to buy 20s aftermarket.

However, the bigger issue is you will significantly compromise on-road comfort even during daily driving.

Last edited:

RivChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WRX, 911T
Occupation
Product Manager
Clubs

I share that concern. Most reviewers have indicated minimal wind noise on the highway. I think most of the Rivian events have also required windows be open due to Covid concerns so we onbvisouly wouldn't notice such things during customer test drives. I believe there has been some mention of the "window felt" (whatever that is) bunching up and preventing the window from closing at times so this could possibly be related. Hopefully this is fully sorted prior to deliveries.
During my brief test drive yesterday we had the windows up and were on the highway for a short stint. I didn't notice much wind noise but the radio was also on which could have masked it.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I look at it this way. "it's a prototype" is usually used as an excuse for poor vehicle quality. However we're hearing about the high quality and finish of these, despite them being prototypes. That speaks rather well of production vehicles.
This, it's strange the only feedback on wind noise out there has pretty much been this review. Plus is it at the level of a Model 3/Y? There's been something off with the passenger seal on my Y since I picked it up. I was told it was in spec and I only hear it because there's no ICE. But in reality I hear it because there's probably a small piece of trim that sticks out just enough to create the sound at speed.
Sponsored