Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

This, it's strange the only feedback on wind noise out there has pretty much been this review. Plus is it at the level of a Model 3/Y? There's been something off with the passenger seal on my Y since I picked it up. I was told it was in spec and I only hear it because there's no ICE. But in reality I hear it because there's probably a small piece of trim that sticks out just enough to create the sound at speed.
It's all subjective man. There is no way the Rivian will be quieter than my Jeep. But I bet something like a Lexus LS would be much quieter.
Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Agreed. It doesn't look quite right doing even semi offroading with the 21s. Imagine how weird and basically useless it'll be to offroad in the 22s. Which got me thinking. If you do buy the 22s you're basically losing half the driving functionality of the car. Kinda seems like a waste to buy this truck with anything other than 20 ATs.
The AT’s look versatile then add Nokian Hakkapelita studded winter tires to the mix to be truly all-season as well.?

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
It's all subjective man. There is no way the Rivian will be quieter than my Jeep. But I bet something like a Lexus LS would be much quieter.
IDK; I was hoping for Dodge Ram 1500 level of quite, and if we don't get there, at least F150 level. People made it sound quite but I have not been in one yet. All the damn windows are open on the recorded test drives. The level of rain pounding noise is concerning, this was an issue with the Model X and the glass overhang.

Teslas are freakin loud, especially model 3/Y and early (pre-2016-2018) or so Model s are horrible. My Nissan Leaf is much more silent. Even a $18k ford fusion is much better in the noise/harmonics/vibration department.

I can't handle loud cars. It leads to fatigue on urban roads, and I have bad tinnitus. Bring earplugs for a Prius with crappy tires bad.

Brand doesn't mean anything. Cheap BMW/Mercedes cars and SUVs are some of the worst for noise.

Last edited:

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Depends on whether the Max Pack is 12 battery modules or 11, doesn't it? If it's 11 modules as someone recently reported/rumored, I would guess the Max Pack range is more like 385-390.
One thing we haven't dismissed is the potential that Rivian is holding back more reserve capacity on the large pack vs. max pack. It might not be linear.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

IDK; I was hoping for Dodge Ram 1500 level of quite, and if we don't get there, at least F150 level. People made it sound quite but I have not been in one yet. All the damn windows are open on the recorded test drives. The level of rain pounding noise is concerning, this was an issue with the Model X and the glass overhang.

Teslas are freakin loud, especially model 3/Y and early (pre-2016-2018) or so Model s are horrible. My Nissan Leaf is much more silent. Even a $18k ford fusion is much better in the noise/harmonics/vibration department.

I can't handle loud cars. It leads to fatigue on urban roads, and I have bad tinnitus. Bring earplugs for a Prius with crappy tires bad.
Well, if I ever get a test drive, I'll get a decibel app and get a reading. ?

Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
This, it's strange the only feedback on wind noise out there has pretty much been this review. Plus is it at the level of a Model 3/Y? There's been something off with the passenger seal on my Y since I picked it up. I was told it was in spec and I only hear it because there's no ICE. But in reality I hear it because there's probably a small piece of trim that sticks out just enough to create the sound at speed.
My Model 3 had horrible wind noise. They "fixed" the seals around the door and the trim piece by the mirror 3 times and never fully fixed it. My Model Y sounds so much more quiet, but not as quiet as say my F150 used to be.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

My Model 3 had horrible wind noise. They "fixed" the seals around the door and the trim piece by the mirror 3 times and never fully fixed it. My Model Y sounds so much more quiet, but not as quiet as say my F150 used to be.
I've only driven the Model Y once. Tire noise was much more of an issue, but even that was very comfortable. That also happened to be the first and only time I've driven an EV. I was sold on the entire concept within seconds.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Keep in mind a lot of the test drives have multiple people in the cab. They may be talking to each other and not notice the noise initially, or distracted by the newness of everything. The Sonoma event looked mild off road focused as well, limited street exposure. The YouTubers who did the trip in Colorado looked like they spent most of their time off road, where you don't get the wind noise going 5-10mph over a trail. My soft top Jeep makes no wind noise the few times I go off road. One thing that I have noticed is that it seemed majority of sponsored test drives on YouTube seemed to be tech reviewers or EV specific. Someone who reviews ICE also may notice things they do not, and vice versa. I have never driven an EV, but from reading or watching reviews on several, it seems wind noise may be more common in an EV because you don't have the ICE.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Well, if I ever get a test drive, I'll get a decibel app and get a reading. ?
If you or a person going with you has an Apple Watch, there’s one built in. Just look for the app with a yellow background and the outline of an ear.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Agreed. It doesn't look quite right doing even semi offroading with the 21s. Imagine how weird and basically useless it'll be to offroad in the 22s. Which got me thinking. If you do buy the 22s you're basically losing half the driving functionality of the car. Kinda seems like a waste to buy this truck with anything other than 20 ATs.
Disagreed. It doesn't look quite right doing even short road trips with the 20's. Imagine how weird and basically useless it will be to be sitting on the side of the road with a dead battery. Which got me thinking. If you do buy the 20s you're basically losing half the driving functionality of the car. But really it is way more than half. Because even someone who does a lot of off-roading will put in way more than half of their miles on pavement. Kinda seems like a waste to buy this truck with tires that reduce your range by 20%.

To recoup the range you lose with the 20's, you would have to spend $10,000 on the larger battery in addition to the $1,800 extra you are paying for off road tires. $12,000 is a ton of money to spend for a feature that the vast majority of people will never use. And yes - the vast majority of Rivians will never even see a gravel driveway.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Disagreed. It doesn't look quite right doing even short road trips with the 20's. Imagine how weird and basically useless it will be to be sitting on the side of the road with a dead battery. Which got me thinking. If you do buy the 20s you're basically losing half the driving functionality of the car. But really it is way more than half. Because even someone who does a lot of off-roading will put in way more than half of their miles on pavement. Kinda seems like a waste to buy this truck with tires that reduce your range by 20%.

To recoup the range you lose with the 20's, you would have to spend $10,000 on the larger battery in addition to the $1,800 extra you are paying for off road tires. $12,000 is a ton of money to spend for a feature that the vast majority of people will never use. And yes - the vast majority of Rivians will never even see a gravel driveway.
I've changed back to the 21' AS with the spare. My use case won't see frequent off roading, or at least not extreme enough to need the beefier tire. Worst case that changes and I purchase a set. I'm just waiting to see if I prefer Limestone over LA Silver when I eventually see Limestone.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I plan on going with the ATs for now. I think they look better, and more sidewall may mean a more comfortable ride, but a possibly less sporty ride (its a heavy truck, I'm ok with that). They look like they could handle winter weather more, being rated for snow, I have to get to and from work in the snow. Yes, its a hit on range, but how long on a road trip does it take to at 30ish miles during a charge, 10 minutes? Also, if one does go offroad, more than just gravel roads, you may be better off with the All Terrains that can get a better grip and get traction than spinning wheels and expending energy with the road tires trying to get traction. I don't plan on going offroad with a R1T, but the weather properties alone make it the better choice for me, and I don't think I need the max pack for my situation. I agree everyones use is different, and am glad that Rivian provides the choice. I just wish the configurator would be more upfront with the expected range reductions on tire choices, although they do list them on different parts of the website.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management

Huh?! Every body has different preferences about looks but the rest of this post is an interesting take. To your point I do think there is a good chance R1's will eat up 20" tires at an alarming rate and the 21" may fare better. However RJ and Brian disagree with the character of your statement and have stated the 20" are their preferred pairing. That carries a lot of weight in my book.
They did also decide to offer 21" and 22" wheels so they clearly feel that these will have more value for some customers. As you state some R1's will never leave pavement.
Variety is the spice of life as they say.
Sponsored