Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Over 150kW on the 150kW chargers multiple times! I love it. This is a big relief. I badmouthed the 50 and 150kW chargers on our 2500 mile trip, but after using a couple and reading this, I'm convinced those are what we need more near shopping/dining complexes than the 350kW.
Sponsored

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

Thanks for sharing this data!!!

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Not an accurate conclusion.

He said other vehicles had issues at the same units.

Probably a more likely conclusion may be that the Signet units work better in the heat or those locations were cooler.
On a trip this last week I had all kinds of EA issues in Texas (and other cars were working). EA literally told me that it was a problem with a particular manufacturer and Rivian. I took a picture of the chargers and tag, they were all ABB.

Last edited:

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
Session # 2
-Barstow, CA Charging speed slowed to 36kW at all stations. Could be temperature related.

Session # 3-8
-Baker, CA First session started fine then kicked me off. Others sessions would not start on different chargers.
Looks to me like you started in OC/LA and not SF. I went to Vegas last weekend in my Polestar and hit the Hesperia Walmart on my way out and the Barstow one on way home. Barstow’s front couple chargers all had issues, as did a few of the 5 or 6 toward the back of the parking lot, but a few were working perfectly. Hesperia was fine.

I got kicked off the Ultramart (Baker) one 3 times, and was disappointing they only had one 150kw working. Upon arrival in Vegas charged at the Forum Shops, and despite being 112 degrees it worked just fine (except for ahole ICE cars that were parked in the charging spaces).

I bias heavily to EA since Polestar gives 30 free minutes with each session, but I’ll gladly hit a fast EVGO if EA is struggling.

Rivian R1T R1S EA Electrify America Network is like a box of chocolates... 2000 mile trip report 16B16E1D-429A-4ED2-A663-B110A6CD29A8

Rivian R1T R1S EA Electrify America Network is like a box of chocolates... 2000 mile trip report 99CCC668-5CC5-4740-BBB7-122E98A3BA78

Sponsored

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Looks to me like you started in OC/LA and not SF. I went to Vegas last weekend in my Polestar and hit the Hesperia Walmart on my way out and the Barstow one on way home. Barstow’s front couple chargers all had issues, as did a few of the 5 or 6 toward the back of the parking lot, but a few were working perfectly. Hesperia was fine.

I got kicked off the Ultramart (Baker) one 3 times, and was disappointing they only had one 150kw working. Upon arrival in Vegas charged at the Forum Shops, and despite being 112 degrees it worked just fine (except for ahole ICE cars that were parked in the charging spaces).

I bias heavily to EA since Polestar gives 30 free minutes with each session, but I’ll gladly hit a fast EVGO if EA is struggling.

16B16E1D-429A-4ED2-A663-B110A6CD29A8.png

99CCC668-5CC5-4740-BBB7-122E98A3BA78.jpeg
Your Barstow and Baker experience seems identical to mine.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
I am so over the "Tesla is perfect" crowd on this board. Nothing is perfect, not Electrify America. Not Tesla.

I have charged at Electrify America locations in 14 states. Have done over 60,000 miles in an Audi e-Tron and multiple Porsche Taycan's since 2019. I have NEVER been stranded on a road trip where I needed to call for a tow truck due to due Electrify America charging issues. Before that I owned multiple Model S' and multiple Model X's that were great/good cars, until my '19 Model S had an electrical failure that was so bad that Tesla bought the car back from me after two weeks of ownership.

I think it is time to get over the "Tesla is perfect" bull$hit propaganda. The cars are boring and bland, Tesla's lack of service is very well known, the majority shareholder is a lunatic and a snake oil salesman, lay offs were announced today, the Tesla semi and the Cyber truck are still essentially vapor after three years since introduction, but the let's tout the one thing that does work, the supercharging network and ignore the rest.

You don't like the existing Electrify America CCS long distance EV charging network? Then cancel your Rivian and order a Cyber truck because we are years away from seeing any significant impact due to the high speed Rivian charging network. Honestly, Electrify America's reliability will probably get worse moving forward with the number of new CCS EV's rolling out in the next year or two.

I appreciate the data provided by @RivianXpress. He did an amazing job detailing metrics that covered all the charging stops on his road trip, and should be appreciated for that effort. Why ruin his work by stating that "I will never road trip in my Rivian, and will continue to road trip in my Model 3?" His work shows that a person needs to be prepared for all eventualities while on the road, and to review Plugshare while identifying a route. Also, a person should also contribute details of their charging sessions as a benefit to other members of the community.

If you made it this far, rant over!

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
For what its worth, EA has taken issue with the metrics. First example, EA chargers have two cables per charger. The survey apparently counted each of them as being "down" when they weren't working instead of just one.

Either way, they need to figure out their reliability issues. Particularly in hot weather.
I have only used 3 EA locations (all ABB). It's anecdotal but every single 350K stall/cable was broken except for one that was putting out less than 50KW.

The first location 4 out of 7 chargers where broken.

The second location 2 out of 4 where broken. One was taken and I didn't check the Chademo cable, so at minimum 50% of the cables where not working.

On the last one (third location) 3 of 5 chargers where showing as non-operational, again didn't try the Chademo cable.

So my first experiences is more inline with over half of stations/stands/chargers/cables in a completely broken (0KW) state.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I am so over the "Tesla is perfect" crowd on this board. Nothing is perfect, not Electrify America. Not Tesla.
No, Tesla isn't perfect. It's just that people who are used to 99% availability from the Tesla SC network who are contemplating moving to CCS in their Rivians are concerned by these reports of 40 - 70% availability in EA stations. And, unless they are totally stupid, have every right to be.

His work shows that a person needs to be prepared for all eventualities while on the road, and to review Plugshare while identifying a route.
Yes, that's exactly what it shows i.e. that planning a trip in a Rivian is more work than one has to do in planning a trip in a Tesla and that if he has a choice a traveler is probably better off leaving the Rivian in the garage and taking his Model 3. This is akin to the early days of Tesla when SC were fewer and farther between (they have never been unreliable AFAIK) when many left the Tesla in the garage and took their ICE vehicles on road trips.

I'm not buying an R1T to leave it in the garage. Therefore it is disquieting to a Tesla driver whose range anxiety has evanesced over the years to find it returning in spades.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No, Tesla isn't perfect. It's just that people who are used to 99% availability from the Tesla SC network who are contemplating moving to CCS in their Rivians are concerned by these reports of 40 - 70% availability in EA stations. And, unless they are totally stupid, have every right to be.

Yes, that's exactly what it shows i.e. that planning a trip in a Rivian is more work than one has to do in planning a trip in a Tesla and that if he has a choice a traveler is probably better off leaving the Rivian in the garage and taking his Model 3. This is akin to the early days of Tesla when SC were fewer and farther between (they have never been unreliable AFAIK) when many left the Tesla in the garage and took their ICE vehicles on road trips.

I'm not buying an R1T to leave it in the garage. Therefore it is disquieting to a Tesla driver whose range anxiety has evanesced over the years to find it returning in spades.

40% - 70% availability? Based on what? I am not defending Electrify America, since they are not perfect and have plenty of work to do on the network, but that figure range is a stat you made up since you have no access to actual EA uptime, or availability, nor how it is even defined The report put out the other day about charging location availability in the Bay Area is faulty and not representative of the entire network, so please don't try using that either.

Was there a point where Rivianxpress had to cancel his trip because of a location being completely down? No. Did he experience throttling? He sure did, and it sucks. But throttling still allows a vehicle to charge, so it is technically "available."

Once again, you ordered a Rivian, and decided not to wait for a Cybertruck. Electrify America will not be getting better anytime soon, so you will have to deal with it since you are buying a Rivian and plan on using it for what it was designed to do. Elon is not opening the Tesla Supercharging network to non-Tesla's until his ass is kissed enough and someone offers him a significant sum of money, so occasional network inconsistency is what you get with Electrify America.

Better learn to deal with it, since bitching on a message board will not do any good.

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
If you're noticing a trend it's because EA uses several different types of chargers/installers. They might look the same on first glance but they're quite different, and some of them are more reliable than others. At one point it was up to 5 or 6 but I don't remember the exact details. I know a couple of them have been shown to be incredibly unreliable and those units give the most problems.
They wear EA's jersey, so EA should get the grief.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
40% - 70% availability? Based on what?
The 40% number came from a report here from one of our members and as such it is anecdotal.

The 72% number, otoh, came from a paper posted to SSRN (Social Science Research Network - part of Elsevier). As SSRN is for prepublication work it too, is thus, techically, anecdotal.

....stat you made up since you have no access to actual EA uptime, or availability, nor how it is even defined

"Abstract
In order to achieve a rapid transition to electric vehicle driving, a highly reliable and easy to use
charging infrastructure is critical to building confidence as consumers shift from using familiar
gas vehicles to unfamiliar electric vehicles (EV). This study evaluated the functionality of the
charging system for 657 EVSE (electric vehicle service equipment) CCS connectors (combined
charging system) on all 181 open, public DCFC (direct current fast chargers) charging stations
in the Greater Bay Area. An EVSE was evaluated as functional if it charged an EV for 2 minutes
or was charging an EV at the time the station was evaluated. Overall, 72.5% of the 657 EVSEs
were functional. The cable was too short to reach the EV inlet for 4.9% of the EVSEs. Causes of
22.7% of EVSEs that were non-functioning were unresponsive or unavailable screens, payment
system failures, charge initiation failures, network failures, or broken connectors. A random
evaluation of 10% of the EVSEs, approximately 8 days after the first evaluation, demonstrated
no overall change in functionality. This level of functionality appears to conflict with the 95 to
98% uptime reported by the EV service providers (EVSPs) who operate the EV charging
stations. The findings suggest a need for shared, precise definitions of and calculations for
reliability, uptime, downtime, and excluded time, as applied to open public DCFCs, with
verification by third-party evaluation."

I caution you about making baseless assumptions.

The report put out the other day about charging location availability in the Bay Area is faulty and not representative of the entire network, so please don't try using that either.
You'd have us throw out the only real data we have and discard the anecdotal reports and rely on your assessment that the EA network is "available"? Not bloody likely.You say the study is flawed. I am sure you will be happy to tell us what the flaws are but you will have to read the paper to do that.

Once again, you ordered a Rivian, and decided not to wait for a Cybertruck
Once again you are making an assumption for which you have no basis. I am indeed waiting for a Cybertruck. Of course I am still waiting for a Rivian too.

Elon is not opening the Tesla Supercharging network to non-Tesla's until his ass is kissed enough and someone offers him a significant sum of money,
He has done it in Europe and may or may not do it in the US. In Europe the problem is simpler than it is here as the Tesla's over there already use the CCS connector. In the US the CCS connector has to be added at the end of a cable long enough to reach all the locations used on US CCS vehicles. As for money this would be a gold mine as he would steal a huge portion of the CCS charging market. In a way I hope he doesn't open the SC network to others because I think it is important for EA (and other operators) to survive in order to insure global acceptance of BEV.

Better learn to deal with it, since bitching on a message board will not do any good.
Actually If you will reread my post I don't think you will find any bitching in it. Most of the bitching here appears to come from you in order to justify your animus towards Tesla.

Last edited:

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The 40% number came from a report here from one of our members and as such it is anecdotal.

The 72% number, otoh, came from a paper posted to SSRN (Social Science Research Network - part of Elsevier). As SSRN is for prepublication work it too, is thus, techically, anecdotal.

"Abstract
In order to achieve a rapid transition to electric vehicle driving, a highly reliable and easy to use
charging infrastructure is critical to building confidence as consumers shift from using familiar
gas vehicles to unfamiliar electric vehicles (EV). This study evaluated the functionality of the
charging system for 657 EVSE (electric vehicle service equipment) CCS connectors (combined
charging system) on all 181 open, public DCFC (direct current fast chargers) charging stations
in the Greater Bay Area. An EVSE was evaluated as functional if it charged an EV for 2 minutes
or was charging an EV at the time the station was evaluated. Overall, 72.5% of the 657 EVSEs
were functional. The cable was too short to reach the EV inlet for 4.9% of the EVSEs. Causes of
22.7% of EVSEs that were non-functioning were unresponsive or unavailable screens, payment
system failures, charge initiation failures, network failures, or broken connectors. A random
evaluation of 10% of the EVSEs, approximately 8 days after the first evaluation, demonstrated
no overall change in functionality. This level of functionality appears to conflict with the 95 to
98% uptime reported by the EV service providers (EVSPs) who operate the EV charging
stations. The findings suggest a need for shared, precise definitions of and calculations for
reliability, uptime, downtime, and excluded time, as applied to open public DCFCs, with
verification by third-party evaluation."

I caution you about making baseless assumptions.

You'd have us throw out the only real data we have and discard the anecdotal reports and rely on your assessment that the EA network is "available"? Not bloody likely.You say the study is flawed. I am sure you will be happy to tell us what the flaws are but you will have to read the paper to do that.

Once again you are making an assumption for which you have no basis. I am indeed waiting for a Cybertruck. Of course I am still waiting for a Rivian too.

He has done it in Europe and may or may not do it in the US. In Europe the problem is simpler than it is here as the Tesla's over there already use the CCS connector. In the US the CCS connector has to be added at the end of a cable long enough to reach all the locations used on US CCS vehicles. As for money this would be a gold mine as he would steal a huge portion of the CCS charging market.

Actually If you will reread my post I don't think you will find any bitching in it. Most of the bitching here appears to come from you in order to justify your animus towards Tesla.

That report references the 181 open charging networks in the greater Bay Area. We are talking Electrify America in this thread. The study did not make any effort to call customer service to see if a cabinet reboot would get the charger up and running again, which is some cases, it does.

Don't be fooled by Musk's opening of the Europe supercharging network as anything other than "I am doing it now before EU regulators force me to do it."

Once again, I am not saying any charging network is perfect, especially Electrify America, but it is not as bad as the Tesla propaganda bull$hit crowd makes it out to be.

I don't have animus towards Tesla, just its primary share holder and the people who think he and the company do no wrong. That mentality gets old on this site when we are looking for real world feedback on Rivian capability, not a comment from someone on how much they love the Tesla supercharging network.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
Just got back from a recent 2000 mile road trip from the SF Bay area to Las Vegas then to Tucson and then returning the same way.

Temperatures were hot mostly from 85 to 117 degrees.

Note: I was able to slow charge in Vegas at a friends house so I topped off before I left Vegas for Tucson and before I left Vegas for the SF bay area.

I had a total of 19 Charging sessions on the EA network and eight of them worked as expected - the others either timed out/didn't work or were very slow (36kW).

NOTE: I was on the previous SW version until the Tucson session.

Green - no issues
Orange - Slow charging
Red - Unable to charge more than 15 min

When the stations worked they worked great. However I had more than my share of issues. EA support was great but after more than 1/2 dozen calls to them it got a bit tiring.

I'll post the data below but in here is where I had issues:

Session # 2
-Barstow, CA Charging speed slowed to 36kW at all stations. Could be temperature related.

Session # 3-8
-Baker, CA First session started fine then kicked me off. Others sessions would not start on different chargers.

Session # 9
- Henderson, NV Speed limited to 36kW (heat?) free possibly because of the slow speed - no data

Session # 12, 13
- Tucson, AZ - Charger would not start charging moved to another charger.

Session #17
Mojave, CA - This was the worst one. Only one of four chargers working. Two were locked behind a cyclone fence as they are adding a solar canopy. One charger DOA. Last charger worked but was extremely slow. Four others were there once I started charging. This is a remote location with nothing else around. I needed to have enough charge to back of Tehachapi so I didn't have any options rolling in with 52 miles of range. Finally gave up when I figured I had enough charge to make to the chargers in Bakersfield, CA.

Image 6-16-22 at 3.12 PM.jpg
Ditto in regards to EA's charging stations being spotty at best; they are not maintained well enough to be called reliable. I used EA for my R1T and Polestar-2 during road trips and each time EA manage to be the killjoy. I utilize free L2s at hotels and workplace as much as I can. These stations seem to be better maintained than EA. Tesla's SuperCharging network is by far, the industry standard for reasonably-priced, fast and reliable charging.
Rivian R1T R1S EA Electrify America Network is like a box of chocolates... 2000 mile trip report 20220614_055105
Rivian R1T R1S EA Electrify America Network is like a box of chocolates... 2000 mile trip report 20220610_062850

Rivian R1T R1S EA Electrify America Network is like a box of chocolates... 2000 mile trip report 20220612_044744
Sponsored