RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
@RivianXpress

You completely outdid yourself with collecting data points on your road trip. You should be commended.

I have charged at EA chargers in southern Utah, the EA chargers in and around Vegas, the EA chargers in Barston and Indio, and most of the EA chargers in Arizona in August when temps were similar to what you saw on your road trip. I never saw the throttling that you saw while on road trips in my Taycan.

I did, however see throttling last summer in eastern Colorado and through Kansas last July during a road trip to Kansas Citi, so it is not outside the realm of possibility that EA does throttle chargers in extreme heat.

I just wonder if it wasn't the Rivian as opposed to the chargers? Like I said, I have used many of the locations you used on your trip, and others, in similar extreme southwestern heat while in my Taycan, but did not experience what you saw. We do not really know that much about Rivian and its charging characteristics in extreme heat or extreme cold since there are not that many on the road and we are just entering the extreme heat season in the desert southwest.

Hopefully, we will see additional Rivian trips in the desert southwest during the extreme heat season so we can see if the challenges are with chargers themselves, or the Rivian.

In the meantime, thank you again for collecting the charging metrics on your trip and sharing the details. While the limited charging speeds are extremely frustrating, the good news is you were able to complete your trip.
At the Barstow, Baker and Mojave locations all vehicles were being limited to 36kW.

In Barstow the Audi next to me was limited and he called and confirmed to me that all chargers were being limited.

In Baker a Taycan Turbo was doing just okay but he said it was slow.

In Mojave the ID4 ahead of me left because it was so slow and the Ioniq5 and Rivian behind me gave up when they found out that I'd be there for a good while
Sponsored

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
At the Barstow, Baker and Mojave locations all vehicles were being limited to 36kW.

In Barstow the Audi next to me was limited and he called and confirmed to me that all chargers were being limited.

In Baker a Taycan Turbo was doing just okay but he said it was slow.

In Mojave the ID4 ahead of me left because it was so slow and the Ioniq5 and Rivian behind me gave up when they found out that I'd be there for a good while

Thank you for the additional details.

The network is certainly not perfect, but it is all we have for right now. Your post also stresses the importance of the Plugshare app since feedback can help people decide a route depending on recent feedback about charging locations.

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
More data from my session in Tucson:

9:39 AM - 25% SOC - 204kW charge rate- 74 miles of range
9:53 AM - 48% SOC - 162kW charge rate - 144 miles of range
9:55 AM - 52% SOC - 152kW charge rate - 157 miles of range
9:59 AM - 60% SOC - 154kW charge rate - 180 miles of range
10:01 AM - 63% SOC - 126kW charge rate - 190 miles of range
10:09 AM - 74% SOC - 82kW charge rate - 221 miles of range
10:11 AM - 76% SOC - 86kW charge rate - 228 miles of range

My EA app says the charger was at 50kW but I listed at 150 but it should say 350.

Reactions: Opa

Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Is there a straightforward way to identify which is which from either the EA app or something like PlugShare?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The charging stations that OP reported issues with all use ABB units.

The charging stations that OP reported no issues with all use Signet units.

It's an incompatibility issue.
Not an accurate conclusion.

He said other vehicles had issues at the same units.

Probably a more likely conclusion may be that the Signet units work better in the heat or those locations were cooler.

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
Thank you! Great info. The most often trip we may do in our R1S if we ever get it is Norcal to Socal, so at least the ones down the 5 seem to be working. Gives me anxiety thinking about it and how easy it is in a Tesla. This is good news.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
If it helps, article that 25% of all EV charging stations failed completely. Granted, sampling was only in SFO area, but still, it shows we have a LOT of work to do on just keeping them running, and data like the OP posted is important because it shows the ones that DO work are not working as intended.

115 in Tucson and people are still pumping gas. EV and EVSE need to handle it just as well.

https://electrek.co/2022/06/16/study-finds-more-than-fourth-charging-stations-were-non-functional/

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Someone did a formal survey of DCFC in the Bay area and found availability was 72%. That's pretty scary.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Someone did a formal survey of DCFC in the Bay area and found availability was 72%. That's pretty scary.
For what its worth, EA has taken issue with the metrics. First example, EA chargers have two cables per charger. The survey apparently counted each of them as being "down" when they weren't working instead of just one.

Either way, they need to figure out their reliability issues. Particularly in hot weather.

wreighven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition 4x4
Clubs

I really like Rivian's vehicles, their ethos, and what they're trying to accomplish and am looking forward to my R1T (or R1S; can't decide LOL and I have a pre-March price lock), but...

Things like this make me pause before letting go of my current Tesla MYP (for everyday / non Airstream towing driving) + Toyota Tundra (for Airstream hauling) combo. I almost NEVER have issues with the Tesla Supercharger network (or just filling up gas with the Tundra, except for the $$$ of course), and couldn't imagine suffering through a trip like described by OP.

This is a huge issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I really like Rivian's vehicles, their ethos, and what they're trying to accomplish and am looking forward to my R1T (or R1S; can't decide LOL and I have a pre-March price lock), but...

Things like this make me pause before letting go of my current Tesla MYP (for everyday / non Airstream towing driving) + Toyota Tundra (for Airstream hauling) combo). I almost NEVER have issues with the Tesla Supercharger network (or just filling up gas with the Tundra, except for the $$$ of course), and couldn't imagine suffering through a trip like described by OP.

This is a huge issue.
Having done the same trip in my model 3 a few months ago I hear what you’re saying but It wasn’t a huge issue for me. Annoying, yes but maybe that is because I don’t have a tight schedule and was alone.
I will say initially I missed my model 3 but after a 100 or so interstate miles in the Rivian that passed. I really like sitting up higher being able to see the traffic, not to mention the hauling space of having a pick up.

Last edited:

wreighven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition 4x4
Clubs

Thanks for the quick reply. I hear ya, and it wouldn't bother me too much if I was doing the trip alone. But with my wife and kids it would be a different story (she's not really big on EV's and new tech in general, and this would just give fuel to the fire).
Sponsored