Sponsored

Dumb Question on Tire Rotations -- how often? 5 wheel rotation?

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Question: How often are you all rotating tires, and are you doing a 5 wheel rotation (rotating the spare into use), or are you just doing four? I'm at 7K miles and thinking it's getting close to time.

Does Rivian provide any guidance on this?

Thanks
Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
4 tire, the front go straight back, back go to opposite front. Leave the spare alone to keep it in 100% condition. Put the spare in when getting new tires to prevent tire rot. (This is rivian guidance)

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I thought I read that Rivian recommended 9k miles(?), which seems insane to me. Also if you wait that long it's pretty pointless to rotate the spare in.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I did my first rotation at 5K miles, because it was an AT tire and my Tundra experience equated to that. At 5K wear was perfect. I changed to 7K miles on the next change and the same experience. I'm not comfortable at the moment (YMMV) increasing this.

I rotate my tires in my garage myself.

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" the RIVN, Rav4 Prime
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
I thought I read that Rivian recommended 9k miles(?), which seems insane to me. Also if you wait that long it's pretty pointless to rotate the spare in.
9K is what the PDX Service center recommends

Sponsored

daorte

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Limestone R1T
Occupation
Operations Director
That's funny, I was told 7-9k by the PDX service center. I am having them come do mine on Friday.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

4 tire, the front go straight back, back go to opposite front. Leave the spare alone to keep it in 100% condition. Put the spare in when getting new tires to prevent tire rot. (This is rivian guidance)
9K is what the PDX Service center recommends
It would be nice if an official Maintenance Schedule was published for quick reference.

So far, we have recommendations of 5K, 6K, 7K and 9K from Rivian.

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
I did mine on my own at 5K. I had a spare so am using it for a 5 wheel rotation. My T is running the 22s and looking at the fronts during the process, I'm glad I did it at 5k. We'll see how long these things last and I'm not guessing too long. They are fun though!

Millertimr

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Tucson Hybrid
Definitely bring the spare into rotation, I just had mine done at the service center, and they brought the spare into the rotation.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I did my first 5 tire rotation at 7k as it snuck up on me, but I'll probably do it every 5k going forward.

Sponsored

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
I do mine every 5k as I do it myself at home. I also rotate in the spare.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I want to replace my 5 tires at the same time, which leads me to a 6K tire rotation schedule to keep the wear reasonable even. However, I now have a set of 4 AT wheels and tires so those will be rotated each time they are installed in the fall. I think my typical mileage will actually work out to 4K rotation for the 4 ATs and 6K rotation for the 22s based on when I change them seasonally.

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
It honestly depends how you drive. Everyone will give you different mileage ranges, but these are all general. It even depends what kind of tires you have. Sport tires, definitely going to want to rotate those more often. Maybe 3k miles. The more often you rotate, the longer the tires will last.

The easiest way to do this without having to think is when the front and rear tires are 2/32" difference, that's when you rotate. So if that's 7k miles for you, then you do it at 7k.

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Appreciate the responses.

In summary,

Do 4 wheels. Do 5 wheels. Do it yourself. Have Rivian do it. Do it at 5K, 6K, 7K, and 9K miles. Got it.

Kidding of course. I do think this thread is a good indicator that some guidance direct from Rivian would be useful.
Sponsored