Sponsored

Dual vs Quad Motors, which would you get and why?

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜20 Model Y, ā€˜22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

If dual has locking diffs, dual will be more capable. And possibly stable at peak acceleration and in snow. Controlling 4 motors at the limit of adhesion is non trivial.

I also wonder if all the issues with wheel alignment and having to hold steering slightly off center are caused by quad motor config and the speed differential. Sort of like torque vectoring while going straight.
I still donā€™t buy that a locker is better off-road than 4 motors, just have to have motors sized/geared for higher torque.
Sponsored

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

If I didn't have a pre-price hike reservation, I'd go with the dual motor for the range if nothing else. I'm not going to need 4 vs 2 motors.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I'd order the 4 motor version again.

How much more efficient would the two motor be over a 4 motor R1 using it's two front motors in converve mode? (I think that's how it works). I assume that the two motor version would have a one motor conserve mode, but it's still moving close to the same weight and same aero so there must be a point of diminishing returns.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

If I could have saved 8k, dual motors. Don't need the performance, I am sure two motors will be sufficient for me off-road, possibly less complex of a system once the warranty is up.

But I am more in the camp of "If they had a single motor version with a traditional suspension and cloth seats for 50k" I would have bought that over my current build too. I just wanted an electric vehicle that can take me up to rough trailheads and this is about it. I don't need luxury or tech.

But that's not to say I'm not enjoying it ;)

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
I still donā€™t buy that a locker is better off-road than 4 motors, just have to have motors sized/geared for higher torque.
It's much easier to control axle speed with a locker. Torque control is relatively instantaneous with an electric motor, but speed control is much more difficult because you have to sense and adjust to a varying load. With a locker this is all done for you. After seeing R1s try to offroad it's no question I would take a locker every time if I cared about offroad performance.

That said the 4 motors provides much more flexibility in street performance, torque vectoring, and practically eliminates the problem with tire size imbalance since there's no drive connection between the wheels.

Sponsored

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

placed an order for the R1S not long ago (wish I had done it a year ago with the R1T). But would select the dual motor config. Hoping V2L / V2H is available by then as well.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
From what I've heard, the in house motors should be significantly more powerful and efficient than the current motors. So a quad with enduro will be cable of over 1000HP and the dual motor (as previously stated by Rivian) will be at least 600.

The real question is how the AWD / 4WD system will work and how it will use braking to manage wheel speed etc. As the get closer to launching the enduros I'll be looking for their tech updates on the AWD and 800V architecture to spec out my next truck.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Quad all day long.. I am only here for the 800+ HP/TQ. Dont care about the rest.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I would probably have had trouble justifying the added cost of the quad motor if the dual motor was available. But right now I canā€™t really compare the two since we can only speculate on the specs of the dual motor.

Sponsored

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20ā€
Dual motor, Max pack, 800v, pre march pricing please.
Iā€™m with you! Unfortunately, a similarly configured dual motor R1T would cost $10K more than my currently configured quad motor R1T.

Having driven the quad motor R1T, I can say that 0-60 in 3+ seconds is insanely fast! Honestly, I like fast vehicles as much as the next person, but that kind of acceleration is certainly more than most people really need. The dual motor version is said to do 0-60 in about 4 seconds. Seriously, 4 seconds is very, very quick, by any standard. As for range, based on the configuration page, it doesnā€™t appear that there is a significant range difference between the two. However, Iā€™m sure in real life there will be some improvement. As for any difference in off road prowess - who knows? I do off road.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
If dual has locking diffs, dual will be more capable. And possibly stable at peak acceleration and in snow. Controlling 4 motors at the limit of adhesion is non trivial.

I also wonder if all the issues with wheel alignment and having to hold steering slightly off center are caused by quad motor config and the speed differential. Sort of like torque vectoring while going straight.
How will locking diffs be more capable than being able to independently control torque delivery to each wheel?

93Dawg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
CPA
Clubs

I want the quad motor. We have a dual motor Tesla and it is by far the best vehicle we've ever driven. The R1S we test drove w quad motors was a darn close second.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
How will locking diffs be more capable than being able to independently control torque delivery to each wheel?
In slow speed situations, locking diff will have a clear advantage. It's mechanical locking vs reactive software control.

Also, when diff is locked, all the power on a specific axle is available to a single wheel. So if dual motor has more than 210 hp per axle, it will have more available power per wheel than quad - in case of wheel slip on other wheel. Quad has about 210 hp per wheel available. So there will be scenarios where dual with locking differentials will be better than quad motors.

Quad with torque vectoring is so much better in corners, once we get going though. I have a 10 year old vehicle with mechanical torque vectoring. Anything other than Rivian Quad seems like a downgrade after that. However I don't drive off-road.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

i know we dont have any details on the dual motor and what capabilities the dual has and how that stacks up against the quad but based on your guess, what advantages and disadvantages do you think there are between the dual and quad? which would you get and why?
Is this a survey???

How about adding the voting to your threat?
Sponsored