Sponsored

Dual vs Quad Motors, which would you get and why?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

i know we dont have any details on the dual motor and what capabilities the dual has and how that stacks up against the quad but based on your guess, what advantages and disadvantages do you think there are between the dual and quad? which would you get and why?
Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Quad: Faster, more power/control at the expense of range / price

Dual: cheaper, better range at the expense of power / control.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I love my Quad, but I don't need 3 second 0-60 times. The only place the quad is better (in theory) is having 4 motors off road. That's hard to quantify until we know how the all wheel drive will work with the dual motor set up.

But if it's just about speed and efficiency, I'll take a slower and simpler dual motor set up on the next one.

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

My R1T is an LE so obviously quad, but the R1s we have on order for the wife will very likely be a dual motor for many reasons:

1) Going super sonic with the R1T is super fun and cool, and I do it more often than I like to admit, but the wife won't use that and as a family car it's probably best for safety reasons not to have all that power. Plus the dual motor will still have more power than any ICE SUV we'd likely look at
2) Range will be more of a factor for us with the SUV cause we might really consider doing trips with it
3) The lower price is also a big draw in addition to the lower cost of operation (better range means more efficiency hopefully)

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
I'd get the dual motor. Cheaper. 600hp. More range. Nothing to complain about there. It could be less capable on or off-road but that has yet to be quantified.

Sponsored

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
If dual has locking diffs, dual will be more capable. And possibly stable at peak acceleration and in snow. Controlling 4 motors at the limit of adhesion is non trivial.

I also wonder if all the issues with wheel alignment and having to hold steering slightly off center are caused by quad motor config and the speed differential. Sort of like torque vectoring while going straight.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I also wonder if all the issues with wheel alignment and having to hold steering slightly off center are caused by quad motor config and the speed differential. Sort of like torque vectoring while going straight.
That is an interesting hypothesis.

Thud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Haven’t finalized yet since I have many months to go, but most likely dual motor.
I think the in-house enduro drivetrain will be more capable than expected in terms of performance and efficiency.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

If dual has locking diffs, dual will be more capable. And possibly stable at peak acceleration and in snow. Controlling 4 motors at the limit of adhesion is non trivial.

I have zero alignment issues and my steering wheel is centered.

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
I would trade my quad for the dual if the dual has v2h capability. That's a big battery that i could be using for backup, which given we are a completely electric household, is an important consideration for us in a Northeast winter.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have zero alignment issues and my steering wheel is centered.
Mine went from being very slightly left, to straight, to very right before they fixed it. It feels like it's starting to wander right again but it's hard to tell. I suspect uneven tire wear is the primary cause of it in my truck's case. It took time to get really bad.

milliemc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

Quad: Faster, more power/control at the expense of range / price

Dual: cheaper, better range at the expense of power / control.
As someone who is not interested in off-roading at all, I have assumed that the dual would be more than adequate--especially since we hope to use the R1T for road-trips.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Mine went from being very slightly left, to straight, to very right before they fixed it. It feels like it's starting to wander right again but it's hard to tell. I suspect uneven tire wear is the primary cause of it in my truck's case. It took time to get really bad.
Over how many miles? Misalignment will cause wear too, so that's a bummer.

I rarely leave the house, so my Hermit Cab doesn't get much action. Maybe I'll start to have your experience eventually, but I'm only at 700 miles of wear currently.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Over how many miles? Misalignment will cause wear too, so that's a bummer.

I rarely leave the house, so my Hermit Cab doesn't get much action. Maybe I'll start to have your experience eventually, but I'm only at 700 miles of wear currently.
Probably didn't notice it going right until after 4000 miles or so. Front passenger was completely worn out on the outside at 8500 miles.
Sponsored