Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

For some reason this isn't posted in the proper place on the EPA's website but after some short digging I located it. Looks like they posted it in the proper place now.

https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/datafiles/FOI_PRIVT00.0192_APPIPT1.PDF

I won't post any spoilers besides the part about only using all-purpose mode since the dual motor automatically takes care of conserve as we already knew.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Rivian never said it would be significantly higher but I still expected a little bigger jump with the dual motor.

ebarke

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
why does this matter?
Occupation
software engineer
Clubs

what does that all mean (is it the combined # that is going to be the range)? I looked at the report and one section had " Equivalent All Electric Range (miles) 520.45 " but unsure of what that means? I'm assuming all this testing was with the large pack, not Max Pack?

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
If I'm reading the chart correctly, it would seem that the dual-motor R1S with 21" wheels, has a prospective adjusted combined EPA range rating of ~352 miles. That compares with 321 miles for the quad R1S on the same wheels, and is only about a 9.6% improvement.

While that's not trivial, it's quite a bit less than I would have expected in going from four motors down to two. Is one of the conclusions that the new Enduro motors are not particularly efficient?

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
If I'm reading the chart correctly, it would seem that the dual-motor R1S with 21" wheels, has a prospective adjusted combined EPA range rating of ~352 miles. That compares with 321 miles for the quad R1S on the same wheels, and is only about a 9.6% improvement.

While that's not trivial, it's quite a bit less than I would have expected going from four motors down to two. Is one of the conclusions that the new Enduro motors are not particularly efficient?
Rivian's website lists the R1S 21" wheel dual motor range at 340 miles. So, the EPA numbers seem a bit better than Rivian's own published figures.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

While that's not trivial, it's quite a bit less than I would have expected in going from four motors down to two. Is one of the conclusions that the new Enduro motors are not particularly efficient?
Why would you expect the dual motor version to have significantly better efficiency than a quad in Conserve? The weight differences are relatively insignificant and wind resistance is constant. Even if the Enduro motors are more efficient, the gained efficiency is still going to be limited by having the same aerodynamic profile.

Sharpobjects4321

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Occupation
Attorney
has anyone seen the dual R1T with the standard pack? that's what I really was looking for. 340 with a large with the R1S I think is pretty great actually.

markinarch

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, 2021 Kia Telluride SX
Occupation
Architect
Showing rated HP at 708.

Rivian R1T R1S Dual Motor EPA Certification Application (Reveals HP, Efficiency, Range, MPGe Figures) 1685974191623

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Why would you expect the dual motor version to have significantly better efficiency than a quad in Conserve? The weight differences are relatively insignificant and wind resistance is constant. Even if the Enduro motors are more efficient, the gained efficiency is still going to be limited by having the same aerodynamic profile.
I would tend agree with this….I don’t know much about the engineering or electrical architecture as none of that is in my wheelhouse but, the aero is the same so it’s going to require the same amount of energy to move it through the air. It seems it would only be able to stretch the range by having a bit fewer losses in the motors and inverters.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
I don't necessarily expect them to be more efficient. I would expect however, that since there's only two of them, they would use less current than than is case with four motors. That should translate to greater range. While they do offer marginally greater range, it's quite a small improvement.

I understand that the relationship to power consumption is not linear in going from four to two motors. So while I wouldn't expect a 50% reduction in current used (and increased range), what we're apparently seeing from the dual motor seems fairly small, though still significant.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

what does that all mean (is it the combined # that is going to be the range)? I looked at the report and one section had " Equivalent All Electric Range (miles) 520.45 " but unsure of what that means? I'm assuming all this testing was with the large pack, not Max Pack?
The tests are run in a lab, so no wind resistance. A correction has to be applied to the lab range numbers to simulate real world driving conditions and estimate on the road range.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian never said it would be significantly higher but I still expected a little bigger jump with the dual motor.
I suspect that people towing will see the biggest jump in range, since Tow mode on the quad motor obligates all motors being connected, the difference is probably more comparable to what AP mode would be.

(Range numbers here are before the adjustment factor is applied)

Quad 21" AP results:
Rivian R1T R1S Dual Motor EPA Certification Application (Reveals HP, Efficiency, Range, MPGe Figures) 1685974704063

Vs Dual 21" AP Results:
Rivian R1T R1S Dual Motor EPA Certification Application (Reveals HP, Efficiency, Range, MPGe Figures) 1685974724465

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I guess we don't know the weight specs yet but I suspect the Dual version's drive unit is heavier than a single drive unit from the Quad, and the Dual also needs some running gear (diff/axle). The overall weight difference is probably less than a single person, or a set of rock sliders. Perhaps there are some other savings elsewhere. As for drive losses, I wouldn't expect the diff/axle to be more efficient than the Quad reduction gears it's replacing.

The power needed to sustain a particular speed is going to be nearly identical for Dual vs. Quad. Both versions can supply the power with two motors.

I'm almost surprised that the number is as high as it is.
Sponsored