Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Probably not, I've been involved with others where the program administrator just handles the purchase & you can transfer to your own brokerage. Note - not all brokerages support this on the incoming side, but most (all?) do outgoing.
Yes, you typically can transfer to your own brokerage (I use Merrill Lynch), but the initial purchase needs to be completed with their agent first. Which means you need to open an account with them and transfer funds to that account for initial purchase. Just an extra step I'd rather not have to deal with, hopefully the Pre-IPO discount (if any) will be worth it.

EDIT : The transfer process is called DRS Transfer (Direct Registration System). I had to do this with vested RSUs that were held in a separate account and wanted them transferred to my brokerage account to consolidate.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
The only thing riskier than gambling on what's going to happen in the next two years is gambling on what's going to happen in the two years after that.

Right now (2022-2023) they have to produce cars in some quantifiable volume, expand their service network, build out charging infrastructure, compete effectively with the several directly competing products coming out in the next year and show financial returns that inspire confidence in their stockholders. If they slip up anywhere in there future plans are meaningless.
So your general investment strategy is to wait for the company to have its big price-moving successes and then invest?

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
So your general investment strategy is to wait for the company to have its big price-moving successes and then invest?
Not a binary decision. I like to see what happens after the noise dies down. I'm up on a few IPOs over the past year or two by doing just that. Did I let some dollars slip by? Absolutely, but I still made pretty good returns (about 40%+).

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
2 questions
Is there going to be a lock-up period for share allocated thur the direct purchase program?
How large is the float going to be (What % of the company are they going to issue publicly traded stock for)?

Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback

IslanderJSF

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I have similar thoughts to others on this board. I don't agree with everything in that article, but the valuation is up there and the track record is a complete unknown. I am already (and willingly) taking a risk that this vehicle will deliver on range, reliability, safety etc. Investing in the IPO just adds more risk to that profile. That said, I am having a hard time ignoring the opportunity, but expect it to be a long term hold as short term I am not as confident.

Once this IPO goes through, Rivian is on the hook every quarter to deliver to the street. Number of deliveries, pipeline of vehicles, progress on charging network, and just general growth. No more "soon" when you go public which is great for us a customers, but may alter decisions when answering to stock holders.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to get my vehicle. I have my mobile drive in 35 minutes as I type this, just not going to presume the first few quarters will be an easy ride as this company continues to flush itself out. Might have been easier to stay private and work out kinks, but on other hand, Rivian must feel VERY confident they can now deliver, which does make me happy.

my two cents...

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The amended S1 states there no lockup for the DSP. The S-1 currently has placeholders for the float but the talk is about raising $8 bb on an $80 bb valuation. YMMV.
2 questions
Is there going to be a lock-up period for share allocated thur the direct purchase program?
How large is the float going to be (What % of the company are they going to issue publicly traded stock for)?

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Rivian may not be the quick profit you are looking for BUT if you are looking for a quick profit...
I have a financial product for you! These are corporate Bonds in my tulip bulb corporation they mature annually (in May) and regularly produce returns of 300%... So how many can I put you down for?
Sorry couldn't resist.
Please don’t apologize. Tulip Mania is a quality reference and possibly one of the oldest throw-backs I’ve seen on a TBT, ever! :clap:

Sponsored

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Volvo's efforts have been kind of meh. But yeah, I'm not sure I expect 80 billion valuation to hold without big news ahead of the IPO.
Volvo hasn’t done anything crazy. But how much of that is because of Geely? I mean Geely did launch Polestar. Out of that partnership came 3 cars Polestar 1, 2, and the Volvo XC40. Two of which share the same 78kw battery skateboard. They also announced the C40 for this year and rumors are a revamped XC90 full electric for next year with 350+ range. Additionally, Volvo has made PHEV in almost all models or will shortly. Once the vehicle is refreshed they also go to android automotive OS.

But it seems the street likes to bet against some of the traditional automakers.

The plant in SC sits on 1,600 acres, 2.3 million square foot factory currently capable of producing 150,000 vehicles annually. The S60, the new electric XC90 that is scheduled to arrive next year and the polestar 3 are built there.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
The street is fickle. If Rivian is valued a a "car" company then 80B is a stretch. If somehow RJ can convince them its a "tech" company then maybe. I just don't think he has the P.T. Barnam in him to B.S. his way to tech statues like some people we know.

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The street is fickle. If Rivian is valued a a "car" company then 80B is a stretch. If somehow RJ can convince them its a "tech" company then maybe. I just don't think he has the P.T. Barnam in him to B.S. his way to tech statues like some people we know.
100% agree
Sponsored