First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Rivian may not be the quick profit you are looking for BUT if you are looking for a quick profit...
I have a financial product for you! These are corporate Bonds in my tulip bulb corporation they mature annually (in May) and regularly produce returns of 300%... So how many can I put you down for?
Sorry couldn't resist.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Interesting conversations and lot's of traditional mindsets. Not saying that is bad, actually I appreciate the information and converstation.

My feeling about Rivian is, as more poeple look at the company and the success of the vehicle in the hands of everyday people, I think it will be very successful.

My gut feel is this will be a winner.
  • Many people like to bet on underdogs---Rivian is new and appears to be well liked too!
  • Quality seems better than Tesla
  • Performance seems justified based on all we have seen and heard thus far
  • Cost of the vehicle seems fair and atainable to many
  • They do have addition vehicles coming that may be more mass market oriented (small adventure vehicles)
  • Feedback I get from people I talk to about Rivian (that did not know about the company) and then seeing them after---they are more interested in the vehicle and company---tells me the messaging is good and wil accelerate interest, hence more sales in the next few months/years
  • Social Media is exploding with Rivian news and I expect that to accelerate more as we own the vehicles and start sharing the good and bad....probably more good than bad is my guess right now
So yes, based on traditional thought (which is good), and how we communicate our experiences with the vehicles these days, I think Rivian is poised for great growth...how and when remains to be seen.

I am told I am an optomist so take this for what is worth $ ;)

These are great conversations about the IPO! I am in and will buy and hang on long term!

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I find their emails really pushy - but that aside, their take on Rivian doesn't seem unreasonable. Who would you consider a reliable and trustworthy source in this space?
And to be fair, yeah, it's not way off. More of a credibility-establishing news piece. I don't think the author knows as much as he should though. Like the F150 not really being the same segment as the R1T.

The Amazon deal is pretty iron-clad and they point that out so I think they overstated the risk factor. The Amazon deal is why we're here already, at an IPO aimed at taking Rivian global right after their initial launch. IMO, it ensured the funding they needed to accelerate their long-term time table.

Blackrock as a big private investor was a surprising omission as they don't invest in stupid or reckless and they give a healthy dose of short-repellant to the stock.

The thing about potential for underestimating the complexity of manufacturing read like something a Tesla fan would say. If Rivian is opening with production of 7k trucks a month, the CEO's personal subject domain expertise and the Ford partnership appear to have done their thing. They've obviously been very meticulous about production.

Also Tesla Fanboy-ish: "but Rivian lacks a similarly charismatic leader to keep it in the spotlight. Founder and CEO R.J. Scaringe has attracted just 46,600 Twitter followers, compared to Tesla CEO Elon Musk's 60.9 million."

RJ Scaringe lacking charisma? I have nightmares about that guy starting a cult. It's a new EV company just delivering their first product. Give them a minute.

Last edited:

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
So question. Will this be kind of like stock options or more of a first crack at Rivian shares at its perhaps somewhat enthusiastic 80 billion valuation before it hits the market? I've read IPOs tend to dump out of the gate at first even when they do well, ultimately.
If only life was that predictable.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
If only life was that predictable.
Sadly, I am. Not sure why I bothered asking. I'll probably just buy what I can in advance just in case it explodes and buy some more on the inevitable post-IPO dip. Then ignore the ticker for 5 years.

Okay, ignoring the ticker was a lie.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Rivian may not be the quick profit you are looking for BUT if you are looking for a quick profit...
I have a financial product for you! These are corporate Bonds in my tulip bulb corporation they mature annually (in May) and regularly produce returns of 300%... So how many can I put you down for?
Sorry couldn't resist.
Trandall,

Thanks all the same, but I'll stick with importing olive oil.

Please message me privately if you'd like to buy in to the next tanker. ?

CO_R1S

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac Escalade, Chevrolet 2500HD, Preorder R1S
Occupation
Engineer
If you don’t get in now be sure to get in before they announce their $40k vehicles….

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

Love him or hate him, a big part of TSLA's extreme valuation is Elon. People invest in visionaries, innovators and market disrupters. Elon certainly fits that bill.

Obviously, I like Rivian. I like the direction the company is headed, the products and management so I think it will be successful. However, I don't think it will ever hit the multiples that TSLA enjoys and I think there is a good chance the price falls after the IPO.

If this were a pure investment play, I'd wait a few months, when the price has stabilized and options are available then look at buying out-of-the-money calls offset with selling puts.

All that being said, I think it might be fun to take a flyer and invest a few bucks. Just because when I am old, it'll be fun to tell the grandkids "I remember when..." (wait a second, I am already old!)

Jsidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
In my short opinion, it’s a great buy with obvious risk, but a long-term benefit.

Rivian will be releasing more vehicles they have in their product pipeline, like the Wrangler competitor and sub $50k SUVs.

An additional and dynamic aspect of Rivian as a company to sustainablity products/projects along with their plans for a Battery recycling and reuse program will further enhance their revenue streams as the company grows.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Yeah, the more I think about it, the less I care about the risk of being too early, and the more I worry about being too late. If it's a big dip and then a slow build from the IPO, being down 80% and buying more at a discount in the early months would be less of a missed opportunity than chasing a post-IPO dogpile.

Blackrock's presence could be a big short deterrent and a lot of people interested in EV stocks have been drooling at the prospect of a Rivian IPO for at least 2 years now.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
In my short opinion, it’s a great buy with obvious risk, but a long-term benefit.

Rivian will be releasing more vehicles they have in their product pipeline, like the Wrangler competitor and sub $50k SUVs.

An additional and dynamic aspect of Rivian as a company to sustainablity products/projects along with their plans for a Battery recycling and reuse program will further enhance their revenue streams as the company grows.
The only thing riskier than gambling on what's going to happen in the next two years is gambling on what's going to happen in the two years after that.

Right now (2022-2023) they have to produce cars in some quantifiable volume, expand their service network, build out charging infrastructure, compete effectively with the several directly competing products coming out in the next year and show financial returns that inspire confidence in their stockholders. If they slip up anywhere in there future plans are meaningless.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

If anyone is hesitating to sign up, don't forget this is like the Launch Edition. You have to express interest by the 25th, but you aren't under any obligation to purchase once the program administrator contacts you. However, if you don't sign up now then you'll only be able to buy at market price.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
wait a second, I am already old!
When people talk about this is a ”long-term“ investment, I am thinking, I am looking at buying an $80K depreciation machine, hoping to get to drive it before I kick the bucket. I am not even trying to fool myself in believing that I am really thinking about investment and growth, especially “long-term”.

I remember a birthday card I got for my cousin (same age). There was a toothless hillbilly in a rusted beat up truck rocketing down the hill. It read: “When you are over the hill and got no breaks, you may as well give it a gas“. Getting a Rivian is me giving it a gas. I will sit out the investment part. You youngsters enjoy the ride. Sky is the limit (that is until you get to top of the hill).

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Done. Unfortunately you’ll need to set up an account at one of their underwriters to participate. Found the possibile list, will have to see which one is selected. Wish I could use my current brokerage account

Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC, Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC, or J.P. Morgan Securities LLC

inferred from this FAQ : https://rivian.com/support/article/important-legal-information-about-the-directed-share-program
Probably not, I've been involved with others where the program administrator just handles the purchase (or transfer, preferred stock conversion to common, etc.) & you can transfer to your own brokerage. Note - not all brokerages support this on the incoming side, but most (all?) do outgoing.

I signed up but will wait to see what the valuation and price per share ends up being. At least since its an IPO and not a SPAC, won't have to worry about a big pump and dump.
I fully expect some of the institutional investors already involved to sell & harvest some gains, which could absolutely move the price.

However, I think this is another stock that will be embraced by the retail/WSB/YOLO crowd, and I expect it to make a run before dipping.

We shall see... But I'm in to buy under the DSP to support the company, and would plan to hold most of it long term, and potentially buy some dips.
Sponsored

Last edited: