Sponsored

Driving to Whistler (or Canada in general)

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
I am planning to go to Whistler next week from Seattle area with my R1S. Distance is 228 miles but with AT tires and heating on, I guess I have to stop somewhere to top up little bit. Better if I can charge on Canadian side. I am thinking to find some level 2 charger there and top off overnight before heading back. Did anyone tried this route before? Looks like Electrify Canada, though it's basically the same company, requires a separate account and have separate app. Any specific tip for driving in Canada?
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Download the FLO app, could help if you want to use the BC Hydro charger in Whistler. Electrify Canada was pretty cheap in my experience there.

Looks like the EC station near Squamish will be money for you.

OP
OP
3l3c7r1c

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Download the FLO app, could help if you want to use the BC Hydro charger in Whistler. Electrify Canada was pretty cheap in my experience there.

Heard about flo but haven't look into this before. So you can pay for many level-2 chargers with the app? Looks like it showing lot of chargepoint chargers as well.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Heard about flo but haven't look into this before. So you can pay for many level-2 chargers with the app? Looks like it showing lot of chargepoint chargers as well.
Chargepoint and Flo have interoperability for their chargers but when I was in Canada I went to one BC Hydro 50kW charger (similar to the one in Whistler) and Chargepoint wouldn't work there so I had to use Flo app

Zach05855

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
There is also Petro-Canada EV chargers.

https://www.petro-canada.ca/en/personal/fuel/canadas-electric-highway

You can pay using our Petroā€‘Canada EV app or directly at the charging stations.

Our charging stations use tap (contactless payment technology) to help make your charge as efficient as possible. You can pay with the following tap-enabled methods:

• Debit
  • Credit
  • Apple Pay
  • Google Pay
Through our Petroā€‘Canada EV app, you can pay with the following methods:

• Credit
  • Apple Pay
  • Google Pay
Simply follow the instructions on the charger or mobile screen and youā€™ll be ready to charge.

Last edited:

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Get the flo and petro canada apps. Set up an account with each.

use ABRP for planning.

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I am planning to go to Whistler next week from Seattle area with my R1S. Distance is 228 miles but with AT tires and heating on, I guess I have to stop somewhere to top up little bit. Better if I can charge on Canadian side. I am thinking to find some level 2 charger there and top off overnight before heading back. Did anyone tried this route before? Looks like Electrify Canada, though it's basically the same company, requires a separate account and have separate app. Any specific tip for driving in Canada?
If I had my charger installed already I'd say you can top up for free at my place. I'm three minutes off your route. Check in with me next year if you come back ;) Though I guess with a home charger you might have to stay the night too, ha. Have a great trip!

summer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
I had the same trip on Thanksgiving with 21 tire. Charged for about 30% at Bellingham EA, and got whistler with about 20%-30% (don't remember exactly SOA).

The hotel I stayed have a L2 charger so I just charged to about 95% before I leave for home.

On my way back to Seattle, I had same short charge (5%) at Bellingham EA again, however I think I could make it home without charging.

Enjoy the trip, the sea to sky road could be tricky. There is a Facebook group discussing road condition everyday.

OP
OP
3l3c7r1c

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Get the flo and petro canada apps. Set up an account with each.

use ABRP for planning.
Wow! For four hours drive I need 7 apps then!! EVGo and EA for US charging. Flo, EC, and Petro Canada for Canadian charging. And ABRP and Plugshare for finding a charger šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
3l3c7r1c

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had the same trip on Thanksgiving with 21 tire. Charged for about 30% at Bellingham EA, and got whistler with about 20%-30% (don't remember exactly SOA).

The hotel I stayed have a L2 charger so I just charged to about 95% before I leave for home.

On my way back to Seattle, I had same short charge (5%) at Bellingham EA again, however I think I could make it home without charging.

Enjoy the trip, the sea to sky road could be tricky. There is a Facebook group discussing road condition everyday.
I am waiting for the tire chains to arrive and might actually put it. I am going to Snoqualmie for last two years almost every weekend and few times to Stevens but never had to use chain with CrossClimate2 tires and AWD. But I understand Rivian is much heavier and act weird to stop with regen braking.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Wow! For four hours drive I need 7 apps then!! EVGo and EA for US charging. Flo, EC, and Petro Canada for Canadian charging. And ABRP and Plugshare for finding a charger šŸ˜‚
iā€˜ve never bothered with EC, but it doesnā€™t really exist outside of southern bc and parts of Ontario.

petro you can pay directly with contactless Credit cards

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
This is why we need credit card readers that work...

AdamL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2019 Honda Pilot

I have stopped at that Squamish station when I went up to Whistler over the summer. Charging worked flawlessly and there is some great coffee to be had there as well!
Sponsored