Sponsored

Driving the R1T in Canada

RivianSocial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Chevy Spark EV, HD Livewire, Rivian R1T
Took the R1T for a drive to Canada a few weeks after delivery. Some things to be aware of when driving your Rivian in Canada. Most, if not all, can be fixed with OtA software updates. Electrify American / Canada, get your act together!

Sponsored

Last edited:

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Took the R1T for a drive to Canada a few weeks after delivery. Some things to be aware of when driving your Rivian in Canada. Most, if not all, can be fixed with OtA software updates. Electrify American / Canada, get your act together!

Very helpful tips. Thank you. I am curious if you noticed anything else acting up, when you lost cellular connectivity. If I understand correctly, AT@T service is a part of free service Rivian is providing for the first year. It looks like Rivian is not prepared for anyone electing not to continue that service once it becomes a paid service.

OP
OP
RivianSocial

RivianSocial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Very helpful tips. Thank you. I am curious if you noticed anything else acting up, when you lost cellular connectivity. If I understand correctly, AT@T service is a part of free service Rivian is providing for the first year. It looks like Rivian is not prepared for anyone electing not to continue that service once it becomes a paid service.
As I understand it, the hotspot will be included in the first year, after that it will be a paid service. I'm not sure how long the rest of the connectivity will continue. They'll probably want your data for a while, so they can fine tune their Autonomous driving capability. Also.... I don't think the initial Rivians come with a 5G chip either, just the LTE.

Reactions: Max

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Did you try any of the flo chargers at highway rest stops in BC?

electrify canada is effectively non existent. Flo, petro canada, and ChargePoint are the most uniformly distributed.

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
We probably crossed paths near Kelowna, and although we don't have our Rivian yet I was watching plugshare as we went to see what was available. We traveled up to Edmonton from Colorado and then to Penticton, visiting family and passed through Kelowna on July 2nd. I love going through the Canadian rockies!

Sponsored

OP
OP
RivianSocial

RivianSocial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you try any of the flo chargers at highway rest stops in BC?

electrify canada is effectively non existent. Flo, petro canada, and ChargePoint are the most uniformly distributed.
The Rivian navigation pulled up some Flo and ChargePoint locations but I wasn't sure how fast they were. I was looking for 150kw or better chargers. Before arriving at a charger, I like to look at the app to see the speed rating and whether it's online. I've owned 6 different EVs over the past 12 years and can't tell you how frustrating it is to arrive a charger to find that it's not working or is only a 25 or 50 kw DC fast charger. I probably could have downloaded the apps but since I already had the Electrify Canada app on my phone, I just used it.

I was aware of the PetroCan chargers but didn't look any further into it. I assume they have their own app that you have to download to use? Are they installing more than 1 charger at PetroCan stations yet? The ones I've seen in Ontario, there is a single charger at the station. I'd prefer to drive to a charger with multiple stations in case one is occupied or out of order.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The Rivian navigation pulled up some Flo and ChargePoint locations but I wasn't sure how fast they were. I was looking for 150kw or better chargers. Before arriving at a charger, I like to look at the app to see the speed rating and whether it's online. I've owned 6 different EVs over the past 12 years and can't tell you how frustrating it is to arrive a charger to find that it's not working or is only a 25 or 50 kw DC fast charger. I probably could have downloaded the apps but since I already had the Electrify Canada app on my phone, I just used it.

I was aware of the PetroCan chargers but didn't look any further into it. I assume they have their own app that you have to download to use? Are they installing more than 1 charger at PetroCan stations yet? The ones I've seen in Ontario, there is a single charger at the station. I'd prefer to drive to a charger with multiple stations in case one is occupied or out of order.
I have found PlugShare to be a pretty reliable aggregator for charging. ABRP too.

petrocan so far is two chargers at every installation along the trans canada.
you do have to use their app.

OP
OP
RivianSocial

RivianSocial

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have found PlugShare to be a pretty reliable aggregator for charging. ABRP too.

petrocan so far is two chargers at every installation along the trans canada.
you do have to use their app.
Since PlugShare is owned by EVGo (as of last year), I don't find it as reliable anymore. Finding Electrify American and Electrify Canada stations was hit and miss for me.

I didn't try ABRP. Good suggestion.
Sponsored