Sponsored

Driving my Tesla on a dirt road voided my warranty

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, I’m at 10 cars…
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

I've been an EV fan for a while, and I have a 2015 Model S 90D and my wife has a 2021 Model Y. This year, my son has been going to a "wilderness preschool" where he goes on daily hikes, learns how to climb trees and build campfires and identify plants and all that good stuff. Getting to this school involves driving down a dirt road for a couple of miles, and sometimes it rains in Texas and the road gets muddy, but it's a county maintained road, and it's never been too bad.

Well, last week, I was driving down the highway and my Model S just turned off. I managed to get pulled off and called a tow truck who took it to the service center. The service center proceeded to drop the battery and send me pictures of mud on the undercarriage and told me that was evidence of misuse of the vehicle and they wouldn't cover replacement of my $8,000 rear motor (which had shorted out) under warranty.

Yep, driving down a dirt road is misusing a Tesla.

Needless to say, I'm not happy, and am filing a breach of contract claim with the Texas DMV, and I CANNOT WAIT to get into my new R1T next week! I'm going to misuse it a whole lot harder than I ever misused my Model S...

Here are a couple of the pics they shared showing the "clear misuse"

Rivian R1T R1S Driving my Tesla on a dirt road voided my warranty 106355-5

Rivian R1T R1S Driving my Tesla on a dirt road voided my warranty 106355-8
Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Hope TX makes it easier to fight than NC did. Had a warranty, and subsequent unrelated repairs voided (Not a Tesla) for hitting the 80mph speed limiter as it was deemed as abuse. Clearly not legal under any statutes anywhere, but legal fees would've cost more than the vehicle and repair combined. Good luck.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Unless they can show evidence of physical impact causing external damage which caused the short (which I don't see any evidence of in your picture), a little dirt is not enough to void a warranty.

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Unless they can show evidence of physical impact causing external damage which caused the short (which I don't see any evidence of in your picture), a little dirt is not enough to void a warranty.
They're claiming the dirt is evidence that I drove through deep water, which is nuts IMO.

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
One more reason Tesla is on my 'never do business with' list :)

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
I've been an EV fan for a while, and I have a 2015 Model S 90D and my wife has a 2021 Model Y. This year, my son has been going to a "wilderness preschool" where he goes on daily hikes, learns how to climb trees and build campfires and identify plants and all that good stuff. Getting to this school involves driving down a dirt road for a couple of miles, and sometimes it rains in Texas and the road gets muddy, but it's a county maintained road, and it's never been too bad.

Well, last week, I was driving down the highway and my Model S just turned off. I managed to get pulled off and called a tow truck who took it to the service center. The service center proceeded to drop the battery and send me pictures of mud on the undercarriage and told me that was evidence of misuse of the vehicle and they wouldn't cover replacement of my $8,000 rear motor (which had shorted out) under warranty.

Yep, driving down a dirt road is misusing a Tesla.

Needless to say, I'm not happy, and am filing a breach of contract claim with the Texas DMV, and I CANNOT WAIT to get into my new R1T next week! I'm going to misuse it a whole lot harder than I ever misused my Model S...

Here are a couple of the pics they shared showing the "clear misuse"

106355-5.jpg

106355-8.jpg
Wonder if the Texas license plate BYETSLA is available

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Wonder if the Texas license plate BYETSLA is available
I'm also saying BYETXAS...

Now that I have a Rivian, I need to move back to the mountains!

swazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
What is ironic here is that clearly Tesla needed to provide better protection for the drivetrain components. But instead they place you at fault.

I wonder if the same is possible with the Rivian. And seeing how they are selling insurance specific for off road use, what would a warranty claim look like for something similar if you didn't go for that insurance.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
That's complete and utter BS on Tesla's part. I doubt that I will ever consider buying a Tesla in the future.

Sponsored

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
That’s absolutely nuts. I hope you fight this on principle. I’d be livid!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Driving your vehicle? That'll void the warranty.

VermontR1T

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Wow, wonder if it's a regional perspective which is causing that judgement. Here in Vermont over 50% of our roads are gravel/dirt and we have a 6-week mud season. Tesla's are crawling all over the state too!

rogunenode

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Push back on this for sure. I've got a M3P with an aftermarket 2" lift, skid plate, camber and toe arms and my closest service center knows about the mods and that I drive rough mountain roads daily just going to and from home. It's always covered in dirt/dried mud when it's in for any service and has scrapes on the bottom. Yet they've replaced the bottom rear fiber cover as it broke due to water logging and large amounts of rock/dirt in it, as well as a rear wheel well liner for same reasons both under warranty. No mention of where it has been driven being an issue.

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Wow, wonder if it's a regional perspective which is causing that judgement. Here in Vermont over 50% of our roads are gravel/dirt and we have a 6-week mud season. Tesla's are crawling all over the state too!
Yeah, I don't think the Austin service center sees many cars that have ever left the pavement...
Sponsored