Sponsored

Driving 1000 Miles in 3 Cars: Gas Vs Electric

Edax Rerum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
As most people have mentioned, ABRP and Plugshare are essential for non-Tesla EVs (in my experience). I have only used the in-car navigation (for charging) a couple times, and only for local chargers where I know the status and reliability. For road trips, I use the ABRP/Plugshare combo. ABRP gives me a good estimate of where I'll need to charge, Plugshare gives me the info about status/reliability.

As mentioned in the video, the range estimate in the Porsche is pretty accurate. It's based on the last 300(?) miles I've driven, so it does not rely on the EPA estimate (which for the Taycan is wildly inaccurate), but on the consumption I experience.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
As most people have mentioned, ABRP and Plugshare are essential for non-Tesla EVs (in my experience).
For Tesla drivers too. After placing my order for my first Tesla the "salesman" shook my hand, told me I was going to love it and handed me a slip of paper with PlugShare written on it. I still use it all the time.

It does not, however, get real time status on EA chargers that I can see. If I check the Albany station (at a Walmart as many are) the most I can find out is that someone successfully charged an ID.4 there three days ago and that all the terminals were working 4 days ago.

Edax Rerum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Agreed, that is probably my only complaint with Plugshare. It doesn't have real-time info about availability. ABRP might, but not in the free version.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Agreed, that is probably my only complaint with Plugshare. It doesn't have real-time info about availability. ABRP might, but not in the free version.
The EA app does have real time info on available/working. If you are going to be charging at their locations, you should already have the app installed.

Zeroemit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 Hybrid
The EA app does have real time info on available/working. If you are going to be charging at their locations, you should already have the app installed.
Chargepoint locations will also display real time availability info on its app.

Edax Rerum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
I do have the EA app, but....since Porsche (being part of the VW group) has free charging at EA stations (first 30 min is free for the first three years of ownership), I haven't created an EA account. There's no point in spending even a small monthly fee when I don't need to. Although, it does appear as though I may be able to see the status of the stations without having an account, so perhaps I'll start using that in conjunction with Plugshare and ABRP.

I also have the Chargepoint app. There have been instances where there is no EA charger available, and Chargepoint seems to be free (provided by a municipality or business) about half the time.

There's also EVgo, but I've never used one of their chargers. Plugshare reviews indicate that they are overpriced, and I've never been in a dire situation where I would be forced to use one.

Quick edit: I may have confused EVgo with Greenlots. I do not have the Greenlots app, and they might be the one that is overpriced. If any of you have used EVgo or Greenlots, please add the correct info.
Sponsored

Last edited: