Driving 1000 Miles in 3 Cars: Gas Vs Electric

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
I watched that this morning also. I am hoping that Rivian MPGe estimates align closer with how Ford gauges efficiency rather than Tesla. I think that's been said on this forum plenty of times before as well.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Also watched it this AM. Very well done with good detail.

I would like to know the average price of gas however as I think the savings using an electric car would be much great here in California.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Good video. It does worry me to continue to hear so many issues at non-Tesla DCFC locations.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Haven't watched the video yet but is that screen shot the trip time for 1000 miles? Seems a bit optimistic.

Sponsored

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Good video. It does worry me to continue to hear so many issues at non-Tesla DCFC locations.
Seriously. The poor condition of the Electrify America network is really dispiriting, and it's a real own-goal by Ford not to check on status in its software.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It was interesting and chargers not working can be an issue.

That being said they made some odd moves. When we travel we try to batch together the stops so if we want to eat, we look for a place to charge while we are eating, they seemed to make a few stops to eat, get coffee, etc without combining it with any charging.

The other thing they did is stop overnight and not take advantage of charging I do not know anyone with an EV that would not charge on an overnight stay when on a road trip.

A couple of common sense trip adjustments people with an EV would make, would have shrunk those time deltas. They are not going to match the ICE times but could be closer than they were.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
It was interesting and chargers not working can be an issue.
As a prospective Rivian owner I find that part of his report very disquieting.

The other thing they did is stop overnight and not take advantage of charging I do not know anyone with an EV that would not charge on an overnight stay when on a road trip.
Well here's one. We've never done that. We always charge at a super charger (or CHAdeMO if that's what's available) and then go to the hotel. Or we may get the charge while we are having dinner.

The only other comment I have is that he mentioned that in the Tesla he saw the miles melt away faster than the miles he covered. In Teslas the miles shown on the "gas gauge" are rated miles. That is the miles based on the EPA rating. Unless you are driving under EPA conditions (which you usually are not) there will be the discrepancy he describes. That's why it's better to put the display in % SoC mode and compare SoC at each point along your journey with the planner's predicted SoC for that point in your journey. I've discussed this at length elsewhere in this forum.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Most of the charging estimates are based on letting SOC go really low so you can get the fastest charging while you minimize stops. If you can't have confidence that you will be able to charge at a location, you will never let it go low so your trip would be longer with more stops.

Rivian need to let us fast charge each other. The App or the car should allow sending out SOS so EVs with better SOC can help out stranded folks. Electrify America seem to be doing a great job selling Teslas.

Last edited:

Sponsored

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Interesting video with a major flaw. The biggest fail in the planning is that they didn't use abrp. Any trip of this distance requires some minimal planning, even with an ICE vehicle. Not necessarily for charging / range issues, but still some planning. In a non tesla ev, using abrp is the prudent way to do this. Take 5 minutes to save 5 hours.

Their take away should have been that the Mach-Es trip planning software is flawed. And that's a valid concern Ford needs to resolve. But if I were doing that trip, I would choose to stop only at EA sites. They aren't nearly as flawed as made out to be, even if less effective than the super charger network on average. The conclusion that it takes 6.5 hours extra to do this trip in a Mach-E is not correct (though it's undeniably what happened in their case).

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Seriously. The poor condition of the Electrify America network is really dispiriting...
Could not agree more with these comments.

This whole "hoping it works, oh shit, it doesn't... now what?" scenario is what gives me pause around moving off my Tesla X and onto a a CCS2 based EV. Now, granted, we only road trip 2-3 times per year, and most of those will feature an L2 destination charger of some form where we end up, but still the idea of having to deal with a less than "Tesla-esc" charging experience unnerves me.

The caveat in this is that Tesla is opening is SuperCharger network to non-Teslas. Will that happen before I have my R1T and before we take our next family trip? I wouldn't put any bets on it, but it will be super nice when it does happen (and I'll be honest, I hope Elon/Tesla do follow up on this by plopping them down with a diner or such, as some times, the current ones... not much to do but surf the Rivian forums on your phone while you wait to charge).

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Watch any number of recent Out of Spec review roadtrips in the MME or ID.4, as well as "regular EV dad" for example. They both have had pretty consistent experiences over the last year or two. Kyle with OOS had some iffy initial experience with the MME on his first road trip, but he figured out it was related to plug and charge. Avoiding plug and charge on the way back on that trip fixed it, and plug and charge has since worked without issue for him on another MME road trip.

mind you the road trips above are like... Colorado to CA and back, or Florida to CO. Or CA to the east coast. So they aren't like 1 or 2 charging stops.

The ID.4 forums aren't full of people complaining about EA for the most part either for what it's worth. Last time I dropped in on an MME forum or reddit I hadn't seen any consistent complaints either. Looking at Reddit now, it's the same. In fact, there's a post of someone expressing concern and basically everyone saying they haven't had any issues (other than the MME sucks above 80% SoC). Screenshot for posts in a row saying it's fine.
Rivian R1T R1S Driving 1000 Miles in 3 Cars: Gas Vs Electric 1631235787099

I won't say EA is flawless by any means, but it's not the worst experience I've had at all. I have yet to have a charging station flat out not work, and the one where I consistently had issues is literally being replaced right now.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Could not agree more with these comments.

This whole "hoping it works, oh shit, it doesn't... now what?" scenario is what gives me pause around moving off my Tesla X and onto a a CCS2 based EV. Now, granted, we only road trip 2-3 times per year, and most of those will feature an L2 destination charger of some form where we end up, but still the idea of having to deal with a less than "Tesla-esc" charging experience unnerves me.

The caveat in this is that Tesla is opening is SuperCharger network to non-Teslas. Will that happen before I have my R1T and before we take our next family trip? I wouldn't put any bets on it, but it will be super nice when it does happen (and I'll be honest, I hope Elon/Tesla do follow up on this by plopping them down with a diner or such, as some times, the current ones... not much to do but surf the Rivian forums on your phone while you wait to charge).
Honestly, I expect to see a not insignificant number of issues with the SuperCharger network for non-tesla's initially.

I've never had a major issue with EA, and most ID.4 and MME owners I've interacted with haven't either. I haven't had a chance to see what MKBHD managed to run into, but it doesn't seem representative of what I see/hear over a larger sample size.

Actually, the things I've had garbage luck with are public L2 chargers.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I've never had a major issue with EA...
That is good to hear. I'm actually pretty ignorant of the CCS2 world being a Teslarati (I think that's the term they use for us). So having accounts of those (especially those in my area) that speak well of these CCS2 chargers is good news to me.

Honestly, I expect to see a not insignificant number of issues with the SuperCharger network for non-tesla's initially.
Oh... I bet it will be a complete clown car of issues. Either stuff won't work due to connection issues, payments won't process, people will try charging on the wrong unit, too many people will show up, etc...

Actually, the things I've had garbage luck with are public L2 chargers.
I've tried using them as well... I get about a 60% "Well, this is broken/doesn't work" rate or "This is utter shit.. I could charge my car faster by pushing it".

In short...
Rivian R1T R1S Driving 1000 Miles in 3 Cars: Gas Vs Electric I'm out!
Sponsored