Sponsored

Driver+ tried to put me in the wall today!

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Model 3, ‘99 Suburban, ‘24 GMC1500 AT4
Occupation
Airline pilot
I’d heard about that a couple of years ago but that is still years from being used and what’s even the point if it’s vision based? When the visibility is terrible then what happens? What about an out of limit crosswind. The old A-300 I fly now has a 15 kit crosswind limit for Autoland and a 32kt limit for just a regular takeoff. They are years and years away from the whole thing being automated and I don’t know about you but I will NEVER ride on a plane that doesn’t have a human at the controls. Taxi, takeoff, climb out cruise, deviation for thunderstorms, shooting visual approaches are just things that to me can only be done by people. I’m sure one day in the future that won’t be the case, but I will never trust all of that to be done by computers or AI in my lifetime. Would you? Thank you for finding that article and attaching it. It sure was interesting read.
Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I’d heard about that a couple of years ago but that is still years from being used and what’s even the point if it’s vision based? When the visibility is terrible then what happens? What about an out of limit crosswind. The old A-300 I fly now has a 15 kit crosswind limit for Autoland and a 32kt limit for just a regular takeoff. They are years and years away from the whole thing being automated and I don’t know about you but I will NEVER ride on a plane that doesn’t have a human at the controls. Taxi, takeoff, climb out cruise, deviation for thunderstorms, shooting visual approaches are just things that to me can only be done by people. I’m sure one day in the future that won’t be the case, but I will never trust all of that to be done by computers or AI in my lifetime. Would you? Thank you for finding that article and attaching it. It sure was interesting read.
I agree with you on it being vision based. Elon Musk is going vision based in autonomous driving by removing radar based sensors from TESLA vehicles. Almost immediately owners complained that the system was behaving erratically.

For him it was a cost saving move but from a safety perspective you need redundancy and you need sensors like lidar and radar that aren't impacted by weather conditions like visions systems are.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I agree with you on it being vision based. Elon Musk is going vision based in autonomous driving by removing radar based sensors from TESLA vehicles. Almost immediately owners complained that the system was behaving erratically.

For him it was a cost saving move but from a safety perspective you need redundancy and you need sensors like lidar and radar that aren't impacted by weather conditions like visions systems are.
I agree, my 2019 Tesla had the radar. Then they updated the car to stop using them. While it gave the FSD Beta, the regular AP on the highways and places where I primarily used it, seemed to be a step backwards.

Seemed odd that they would take away a feature that could be useful. I know with Radar, my car could see the car in front of the car I was following. Showed on the center display quite clearly. After the update, it seemed like it reacted slower to abruptly slowing traffic. Previously, it was looking ahead and would often start slowing prior to the car in front slowing. Could have all been in my head, but certainly made me more nervous as it seemed to brake later for stopping traffic than it had previously. In both scenarios, I usually took over anyway, because the car was always much slower to react than I was when seeing that traffic was slowing. Always hard braking.

With the update, just felt like it wasn't seeing as far ahead as it previously had been. Whether that's because of the radar or cameras or what, I don't know.
Sponsored