Sponsored

Driver+ takes off ramp. Truck possessed?

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Just did a 1,400 mile road trip with my truck. Loved it. Overall it was great experience and I was super impressed. Comfortable ride, no charging issues, EA stations worked flawlessly and even conservative Iowa with all it's windmills gave me free 150kw charging. Navigation sucks (for now). I learned a lot about efficiency driving from 10 degree temps into 65+ degree weather. Was fun. After this trip I feel comfortable taking the R1T anywhere at any distance.

EXCEPT....... Driver+ worked great most of the time and it was nice to have. However, four times over the course of the trip it decided to suddenly take an off ramp. And by "suddenly" I mean at the very last moment it darted (yes darted) onto an off ramp with no notice whatsoever. The 1rst and 2nd time it scared the shit out of me. The 3rd and 4th time I told the wife not to freak out and if it happened again we were gonna let it rip and see what happens. What happened the 3rd and 4th time was highway assist disengaged but only after traveling a good 1/2 way up the ramps. "Cruise control" stayed active and the truck accelerated hard (more on that). All four times it happened when following a semi, at the closest distance setting, at speed around 70 mph. The way I was driving, I set the cruise speed higher than traffic flow (75-85) and let the truck go/manage speed with the flow of traffic. So when it darted onto the ramp, it accelerated pretty briskly before I manually disengaged.

So just sharing but curious if has happened to anyone else?
Sponsored

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

I've had it try to take exits before. I generally don't trust or use any driver assist features in cars, so it wasn't weird to me to have to wrestle control of my vehicle back from the robot and swerve back into lane, and then never engage it again.

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
I've had it try to take exits before. I generally don't trust or use any driver assist features in cars, so it wasn't weird to me to have to wrestle control of my vehicle back from the robot and swerve back into lane, and then never engage it again.
I enjoyed using it and still will. But if you do you better have your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road!

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I enjoyed using it and still will. But if you do you better have your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road!
I am willing to bet Rivian would give you that same advice

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Honest question: why use it if you have to be even more vigilant than normal because the robot may try to kill you randomly?

Can we just get dumb cruise - take the robot out of it?

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I don't use Driver+, but I use ACC all the time, with LKA. I have noticed that if you are in the right lane it doesn't like freeway exits. I think it is trying to follow the right-hand line, and when an exit opens up it wants to stay to the right, so if you steer to keep going straight it "fights" you. I have also noticed the navigation tells me to "go straight to stay on I-5" (or whatever your local highway happens to be) at every. single. exit. That's pretty annoying, but it's something I think is due to the underlying map data and will get fixed in time as the data is improved.

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Honest question: why use it if you have to be even more vigilant than normal because the robot may try to kill you randomly?

There's 2 parts to Driver+, Adaptive cruise control (acc) and highway assist. I'd probably never use dumb cruise it over acc. But having the option would be seemingly easy, not sure why they don't.

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
I have also noticed the navigation tells me to "go straight to stay on I-5" (or whatever your local highway happens to be) at every. single. exit. That's pretty annoying, but it's something I think is due to the underlying map data and will get fixed in time as the data is improved.
It's definitely part of the underlying map data. I get same thing on the same stretch of highway with either Rivian nav or Google maps. In this case it tells me to continue "straight on Highway 29 for 1800 feet"...rinse and repeat every 1800 feet for about 30 minutes!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Edit: @srnyoung, There were quite a few posts made that addressed your post after I started to respond, but I got interrupted by a phone call. My comments are a little late to the party.
I believe a single tap of the right stalk gives you simple adaptive cruise control, with only speed and following distance in play. However, give it a double tap (engageable only on certain highways), and that's when the steering robot comes out to play/wreak havoc over potential outcomes.

@Kuro-Rivian, I can see how that combo of taking an unexpected exit under rapid acceleration might cause sudden weight loss. Thankfully, the vegan leather seats are easy to clean. 🤧

Last edited:

Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Yes happened first time driving truck home, just started to trust it and then did twice. The computer even knows that it is an off-ramp. Don’t trust and don’t need it, find it more tiresome than just driving.

Give me regular cruise as well since on 2 lane roads it likes to brake at cars coming towards me, so damn frustrating. Rivian says safer, my ass. Only thing that truly bugs me about the truck

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

It seemed to hug the right as well, which lends credence to your 'follows the right hand side' idea. But that's... not smart? Just not a good implementation of the idea.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Just did a 1,400 mile road trip with my truck. Loved it. Overall it was great experience and I was super impressed. Comfortable ride, no charging issues, EA stations worked flawlessly and even conservative Iowa with all it's windmills gave me free 150kw charging. Navigation sucks (for now). I learned a lot about efficiency driving from 10 degree temps into 65+ degree weather. Was fun. After this trip I feel comfortable taking the R1T anywhere at any distance.

EXCEPT....... Driver+ worked great most of the time and it was nice to have. However, four times over the course of the trip it decided to suddenly take an off ramp. And by "suddenly" I mean at the very last moment it darted (yes darted) onto an off ramp with no notice whatsoever. The 1rst and 2nd time it scared the shit out of me. The 3rd and 4th time I told the wife not to freak out and if it happened again we were gonna let it rip and see what happens. What happened the 3rd and 4th time was highway assist disengaged but only after traveling a good 1/2 way up the ramps. "Cruise control" stayed active and the truck accelerated hard (more on that). All four times it happened when following a semi, at the closest distance setting, at speed around 70 mph. The way I was driving, I set the cruise speed higher than traffic flow (75-85) and let the truck go/manage speed with the flow of traffic. So when it darted onto the ramp, it accelerated pretty briskly before I manually disengaged.

So just sharing but curious if has happened to anyone else?
Your wife is a good sport. It would be good if you reported it to Rivian.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Weird as Driver+ has a huge limitation in that it can only be used on maps roads. This is supposed to ensure that this kind of thing doesn't happen.

I'd report the off-ramp numbers (if you can remember them) to Rivian.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
There's 2 parts to Driver+, Adaptive cruise control (acc) and highway assist. I'd probably never use dumb cruise it over acc. But having the option would be seemingly easy, not sure why they don't.
The primary argument in not having both is to avoid driver confusion, and for simplicity reasons.

My Jeep Wrangler has both, but I don't find it particularly confusing or complicated so I dunno.

When I had a Tesla what I really wanted was dumb adaptive cruise control. What I mean by that is I wanted adaptive cruise control that optimized comfort and functionality over safety. That when I use adaptive cruise control I am paying attention, and I'd rather have it not slow down than phantom brake.

With Tesla's adaptive cruise control I had issues with it phantom braking.

With Rivians adaptive cruise control I have issues of it reporting "camera blurry" due to rain even when the rain isn't bad. It's so sporadic about it that its maddening, and super annoying.
Sponsored