Sponsored

Driver+ Not up to current Spec - A Deal Breaker (?)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I don't know, but my Nissan Leaf can drive from Seattle to Leavnworth on the twisty-as hell, cell coverage absent highway just fine with only a few autopilot disconnect warnings when the turns exceed its tracking ability. Rivian has to figure out a degraded mode of lane keeping. Am I going to expect mapped roads (or cell coverage) driving down Baja California? Nope. Leaf works fine in Mexico too!
I think the difference between the Nissan system as well as Tesla is they are not hands free. The Rivian system (although not fully deployed yet) is more like Ford’s Blue Cruise and GM’s Super Cruise that are designed to be hands free on pre-mapped or pre-qualified roads.
Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Yeah, the others use eye sensors, and perhaps have a greater degree of confidence. However for the most part I do nothing but touch it... But you're always looking and aware/ready for it to try to kill you :)

Bravado21

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99' Subara Impreza 2.5RS, R1T LE
Occupation
Engineer
As per the original description, Driver+ would only be available in certain HWYs (mapped routes), which would enable Auto Steer/Lane Centering with Adaptive Cruise Control. Which I thought was a very limited system and had thought would be upgraded when in production to be in line with all the current ADAS implementations.

Driver+.jpg

But now seeing all the reviews I am kind of disappointed that they stuck to their original version, and when you compare it to most if not all the ADAS implementations, Driver+ is outdated. The fact that it is only a Dynamic Cruise Control on all roads is no better than what I have in my 10-year-old car.

For comparison, here is what is out in the market right now,

ADAS SystemAutosteer/Lane CenteringAdaptive Cruise ControlLane ChangesHands Free
Tesla AutopilotXX--
Tesla Autopilot w FSDXXX-
BMW Driver ProfessionalXXX-
Ford Co-Pilot 360XX--
Ford CP360 w Blue CruiseXX-X (Limited to mapped HWY)
Polestar Pilot AssistXX_-
Hyundai/KIA HDAXX--
Hyundai/KIA HDA2XXX (Mapped HWY)-
Rivian-X--
Rivian Driver+X (Limited to mapped HWY)X--

Based on this Rivian is the least advanced ADAS system on the market and personally for me this is a big deal breaker, because one of the technological advancements I am looking for in my next car is an advanced ADAS system, and at the moment Rivian is not it.

Feels like Rivian built this system to be hands free from grounds up, but like everything Rivian they did not execute this plan, so instead of planning on developing the 'true' hands free tech (internal cameras, sensors to monitor eye/head placement), they delayed it, kept the Autosteer/Lane Centering, and limited it to mapped HWYs.

Hopefully, since I am not expected to get my R1S till 2023, I am really hoping they make upgrades to Driver+, or at least disable the 'Mapped' HWY restriction for Autosteer and allow it for all roads.

Does anyone feel like Driver+ is very limited or is everyone OK with it as is?

I do not like buying vehicles with 'future feature' promises and buy them based on what is being offered when I buy it.
Because there is no guarantee when these features would be made available or when they would be made available.
I used it yesterday (I-95 in Florida) and you’re right it’s basically advanced cruise control. It’s aggravating you change lanes and I had to re-initiate it every time. I’m not too worried though, as time goes on they will push more updates (it’s understandable it’s still in its infancy stage).

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Back road autopilot in the Tesla is not very good so I don't bother, however as soon as I hit interstate I turn it on and love having it!
Seems the Rivian has this covered for me.

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Back road autopilot in the Tesla is not very good so I don't bother, however as soon as I hit interstate I turn it on and love having it!
Driver+ will only engage autosteer with Lane centering on hwys that are mapped.
And if a hwy you are on is not mapped it's just ACC only.

Sponsored

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
Has anyone noticed any improvements since 2022.15? Improved Driver+ performance was in the release notes from what i saw

MikeySea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model X
Occupation
Gainfully unemployed
Has anyone noticed any improvements since 2022.15? Improved Driver+ performance was in the release notes from what i saw
I haven't even been able to get Driver+ to engage - not one single time. Each attempt just results in a Driver+ currently unavailable msg. I've tried multiple times on I90 which is a major East-West transcontinental interstate. The oddity is when I took my demo drive, Driver+ did function in this same area. I suspect Rivian is rolling out this feature on an extremely limited vehicle by vehicle basis. The real problem is without rolling out more broadly, they won't ever collect enough training data to improve it.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I think the difference between the Nissan system as well as Tesla is they are not hands free. The Rivian system (although not fully deployed yet) is more like Ford’s Blue Cruise and GM’s Super Cruise that are designed to be hands free on pre-mapped or pre-qualified roads.
Improving with time and user data

MinnR1S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 T8
Clubs

Old post, so Ill keep it short.
This is a important feature to have and use.
I have this (level 2) self driving group of features on my Volvo and it is awesome for freeway driving.
It keeps me in the center of my lane and spaced safely behind other drivers.
This seems pretty basic. If it can't do this with easy, I would question how well it can emergency brake.
My Volvo has safely braked the SUV when things have fallen off trucks multiple vehicles in front of us. It knew to brake before those cars and saved us from accidents.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I've always been content with a fancy interstate cruise control. I never got over the Tesla FSD team quitting en masse. Clearly they had problems with it, too...

...so does Kim...sort of, she says....

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I think it's pretty obvious to most that Rivian was never going to be a leader in this right out of the gate. If adaptive cruise control works, everything else is gravy for me. Until I can actually take a nap or watch a movie and let the car do the rest, I don't really hate driving so much that I'd pay a ton more for the luxury of having to supervise an AI.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I completely agree. Auto-driving is an interesting technology but it is very low on the list of important features to me. This is a drivers vehicle so drive it. If you are interested in someone else driving for you take the bus. Everyone else on the road will be safer for it.
Dumb take.

technology like this is fantastic over long distances, helps tremendously with driver fatigue

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
technology like this is fantastic over long distances, helps tremendously with driver fatigue
It's really hard to overstate just how much more I enjoy driving with autopilot (AP1) on my Tesla. The difference having the car keeping you safe in your lane and dealing with the other idiots cutting you off vs normal driving is like reducing 25% of the driving time, if not halving it. This combined with the built-in stops for charging has completely changed how I feel about long-distance drives, which we used to make several times a year visiting family 400+ miles away.

I will never own a primary vehicle without at the least basic lane keeping and TACC again. I'm really hoping Rivian opens up a basic form of Driver+ to more roads in a hurry.

OP
OP
rraj2k81

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
It's really hard to overstate just how much more I enjoy driving with autopilot (AP1) on my Tesla. The difference having the car keeping you safe in your lane and dealing with the other idiots cutting you off vs normal driving is like reducing 25% of the driving time, if not halving it. This combined with the built-in stops for charging has completely changed how I feel about long-distance drives, which we used to make several times a year visiting family 400+ miles away.

I will never own a primary vehicle without at the least basic lane keeping and TACC again. I'm really hoping Rivian opens up a basic form of Driver+ to more roads in a hurry.
Same here. I am really hoping Rivian would decouple the Lane Centering/Autosteer from mapped HWY and make it a standard ADAS functionality. Without this Driver+ definitely feels limited and below industry standards. Doesn't make any sense why they decided to limit Lane Centering just to mapped HWYs.

I have a feeling they are going to make Lane Centering/Auto Street on all roads as part of their premium subscription.

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
Dumb take.

Dumb take. Really. To each their own. You can take care of your fatigue every 3 hours or so when you stop to charge your vehicle. I’ll try not to make fun of you because you are from north of the border.
Sponsored